“Below expectation for a former Mercure hotel”

Sopatel Silmande Ouagadougou
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Ouagadougou
Paris, France
“Below expectation for a former Mercure hotel”
Reviewed 5 October 2011

Hotel Le Silmande is a good representation of what can be expected in Ouagadougou for over 100 USD room. Its particularity is to be located next to a dam and the largest park of the city. A large swimming pool and tennis court are available. Rooms are old, poorly furnished and with a bad humidity smell. The restaurant is average, not delicious, just ok, with a very slow service. In general, staff is ok, but slow and somehow inefficient, however according to the days, you can find one very nice and helpful. After discussion with one of the nicest staff, I understood that due to financial problems and management, most of staff are not anymore motivated.
After a long day and on weekends, it can be pleasant to have a calm moment at the pool. Otherwise it is a bit out of city center.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank SpicyCinderella

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 12 September 2010

Safe location with nice rooms. Really appreciate the personalized attention of the GM - (note: I do speak French). The in-hotel services and food are a bit pricey, but on par for high-quality hotels in Africa.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with friends
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Reviewed 21 July 2010

First impression, I wanted another hotel but this was the only one open do to a conference. Room stunk like a septic system, Clean as it could be for 30 years old. Little cockroaches in the room. Dirty bath room. Intermitten power and internet....... Now for the good part. I don't write reviews but wow... I had been here 3 nights so far and have a few beer's a night. I have always tipped well. Tonight I was at the hotel bar and paid for my three beers and as I walked out another bar tender/manager stopped me and said I needed to pay for my beer. I tried to tell him I payed the other bar tender so he went and got him. He totally denied that I had paid. He got the so called security guard and wouldnt let me leave till I payed. So not wanting to be put in a 3rd world country jail I paid again......They crappy part was as I walked away I saw the original bartender throw the money I gave him in the tip jar (The exact money I gave him and the generous tip)....... So lesson learned pay as you go with reciepts........ ohh and I'm changing hotel's look for my review on the Lico.............

Stayed July 2010, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Ouagadougou hotels

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 11 February 2010

I stayed here for five nights. At about $110 USD per night, this hotel is a reasonably priced solution for business travelers, but you better keep your expectations low. The "free internet" worked about 30% of the time; there was no hot water on two mornings; during an area power cut, the backup generator only lit one light in the room; there were two cockroaches exploring my room, but both of them small; the breakfast is a far overpriced 8500 CFA (~$18 USD).
The hotel is on the edge of town, and next to a large pond/lake. For runners, it's a nice 4.25 km loop around the lake, and if you start early enough, the morning air is refreshingly cool.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
San Francisco
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I stayed two nights in February 2009 at the Silmande with my group of 15 persons. The rooms we were assigned were all clean, well appointed but not luxurious. I travel extensively in west Africa and do not expect luxury in this part of the world. The front office staff was helpful; the restaurant staff was courteous and responsive, especially since few of us spoke French. The previous year I stayed in a deluxe very expensive five star hotel in Ouaga and had an unsatisfactory experience. This year I was pleased my ground agent chose Silmande as our hotel in Ouaga.

• Stayed February 2009
Ouagadougou
Reviewed 1 July 2009

the rooms are mediocre;
management not visible;
the swiiming pool is dirty and presents serious risks to your health!
requires urgent refurbishment and new management.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business