“mixed review”

Laico Ouaga 2000 Hotel
Ranked #3 of 31 Hotels in Ouagadougou
Reviewed 21 December 2013

Good things first
- Great swimming pool length (although, not heated and a little chilly in December)
- great ginger juice at breakfast
- friendly service at breakfast
- Internet works
- Fitness room (although a little old machines, it has all that it needs to make a good workout)

Bad things
- Not taking "urgent" seriously
- had to call for a safe, which was just put in front of my room and not installed properly!
- on-premise bar too smoky
- bar in lobby, is looking empty (behind the bar) and like it is about to shut down.
- service outside the breakfast was poor

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank stoffert
PascalDemarchi, General Manager at Laico Ouaga 2000 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the comments you shared following your stay with us, here at the Laico Ouaga2000. I have took note of the points you raised which will be discussed soon with the team.

Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

This is reputedly the best hotel in Ouagadougou. Built and financed by Libya's Ghadaffi it bears all the hallmarks of former glory. Despite being slightly scruffy the hotel is comfortable and everything works. Burkinabe staff are very friendly. The food is very good but with limited choice. Disappointed with breakfast which is limited and French-influenced, not the healthiest way to start the day. No bran cereals, muesli or fruit for instance. Not an unpleasant experience overall.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
PascalDemarchi, General Manager at Laico Ouaga 2000 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for the review you posted. I have noted your comments I have already share with the team, the chef will create an healthy section on the breakfast buffet!

Reviewed 17 November 2013

This was the second time I stayed at this hotel. I stayed there three years ago. This time, it was not an enjoying experience.
Service at check-in was terrible. I had to fill in my own registration form. Why did they not have this done already? There was a long wait until I got a room allocated to me.
In my opinion, the premises need a complete overall. The carpet in the room was run down and the furniture in the room needed to be replaced. The mini fridge was empty.
Breakfast was ok and the service was good. The staff was very friendly and had a good service attitude.
It is time for a complete refurbishment of this hotel and an improvement in the service level and quality.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are actually working on an improvement plan regarding the facilities which includes the points you are raising in your revue.

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Close to beautiful hotel, with really bad service.... The history is interesting: Muammar Gaddafi (of Libya) built and operated the Hotel. When he fell, Burkina Faso took it over and now it is government run. Maybe this is why the service was so bad. Perhaps there isn't an established custom of customer service or something. 1. We had only 1 hand towel in our room (no other bath linens at all). We had to ask for more towels 3 more times spanning 2 hours, and the last time I went to the front desk and told the guy I wasn't going to leave until we got towels. So we finally got towels. 2. We had lunch in the ground floor cafe. We each ordered an entree (my salmon pasta was horrid - glue like w/ only trace amounts of salmon) and a beverage. My husband order Diet Coke. It never arrived, so later he asked for it again. When our bill came we were charged for two Diet Cokes. We pointed out that we only got one, and a half hour challenge ensued. They essentially told us we were lying. Really, we only got one, but beyond that, the place isn't cheap. It was an $84 (USD) lunch. Was it worth arguing for half an hour over a $2.50 Diet Coke? They finally took it off the bill, and we didn't go back. 3. There is a very large and lovely pool. The tattered pool towels are parceled out like precious chlorine tabs - hard to get and watched closely. Our room had good AC, but our friend's did not. The room itself was really lovely, with wood, marble and granite and fine bed linens. We were on the 8th floor, with a view - not of much, but still, perspective.
Positives include a really excellent breakfast buffet w/made to order eggs and lots of other treats, in a very attractive setting.
The dining room on the 10th floor was reasonably priced compared to the ground floor cafe, and the service was better. The food was good, although not great. Watch out for the ice cream: $10!! (USD)
One of the shops, just across from reception, was great. Lot's of nice African wood crafts, some old, and reasonably priced. I bought a mask from the Ivory Coast ($30 USD) The staff was knowledgable and friendly.
We walked to the Marina Market in the shopping center next door to buy cookies and a bottle of wine - much more reasonable than in the hotel. Marina Market has a wide selection of items and is clean.
We changed money in the bank in the same building as the Marina Market, and while the rate was okay, it took forever!
Finally, when walking back from the shopping center we were hounded by someone selling overpriced wood objects that were misrepresented as old, when we knew they were not. Several young adolescent boys also approached us, asking for money or food. They followed us until we stepped onto the hotel property.

Room Tip: Look for towels, water, AC
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
PascalDemarchi, General Manager at Laico Ouaga 2000 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 November 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the comments you posted following your stay, here at the Laico Ouaga2000.
I am obviously disappointed that we were not able to deliver to you our usual standard of service. You are right regarding the different points you raised which are not acceptable; I will share your feedback with the department concerned and ensure that corrective action is taken.
Once more, thank you for helping us to improve our standard of service.

Reviewed 25 October 2013

As others note, hotels in much (though by no means all) of Africa need to be judged by a different metric. A 5-star place in Ouagadougou just does not meet 5-star criteria in Latin America, europe or Asia. That said, Laico Ouaga 2000 exceeded my expectations. The rooms are spacious and quite nicely furnished. The bathrooms a bit dated but clean. The towles are a little frayed, the carpet a little old, but all-in-all it is a nice comfortable place. The pool is huge. Breakfast buffet is nice though outrageously expensive. Ouaga 2000 is some distance from downtown - about 20 minutes in light traffic - so bear that in mind. Service is fine - nothing to praise or complain about.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank tradewinder

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time you took to share your experience at the Laico Ouaga2000. I have noted the points you raised and will share them with the team.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

Well this hotel was a disappointment. I arived at hotel at 4pm only to be told that because I had a corporate reduced rate that I had to wait for a room - After 1.5 hours I got to check in at 5:15pm only to be told that I should be out of room by 10am. I had no safe in room, one towel and no soap; I wen ttot the pool at 5:45pm only to be told there were no more towels for the day so too bad!! Lowest riced bottle of wine in cheapest resturaunt was 22,000CFA or $50USD for a South African bottle worth $7USD. No bread at breakfast despite us arriving 30 minutes after official start of breakfast, so we were told to wait; we also were not allowed more than one glass of juice from the buffet although I helped myself;
The hotel provides only one 500ml bottle of water on arrival and there are no coffee/tea or kettle in the room. The restaurants/bar are average and overpriced.
I have been living in West Africa for the past 12 months. I have no idea how this gets a 5 star for a sub standard hotel that looks good from the foyer but is poorly staffed and managed from the inside. Stay elsewhere but not the Independence - just as bad - find a small boutique hotel in town. This one of the worst hotel I had to stay at... based on service, cleanliness (rooms are outdated, carpet is stained and not vacuumed between clients, value (way to expensive for what you get) and location is no where near night life.

Room Tip: Find somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
PascalDemarchi, General Manager at Laico Ouaga 2000 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 October 2013

Dear Mr John W from Ouagadougou,
Thank you very much for your comments you posted on this web site.
Please accept my apologies for the down fall of service you experienced. I will investigate the points you raised including that the reception may have told you concerning the corporate rate as it is not at all a procedure here. The check-out time is at noon, we had one day only where we had a specific request so we asked our guests prior to avoid any disagreement. It is very unusual for the bread not to be delivered in time, I always take my breakfast around 7am and never noticed it ; regarding the fresh orange juice and the bissap juice service we have a standard where we propose the refill during the breakfast so I will discuss this with the F&B manager. As I do understand, you won't be visiting the Laico again which I am very sorry about it. Be sure I will discuss your experience with all department concerned.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I enjoyed everything about this hotel - it was clean, comfortable, and the staff were exceptionally helpful with all requests. Good comfortable bed, cool rooms, reasonably fast (for Burkina) internet and a nice pool. Walking distance to a supermarket and a few other small shops. Only two cautions about this property, which may or may not be relevant:

Location: it's close to the airport, maybe a 15 minute drive, and there's a complimentary shuttle. However, it's quite far from the centre city/downtown if you need to be there. Count on a 30 minute minimum taxi ride each way, perhaps more in traffic.

Dining options: there was a "gastronomic" restaurant on the top floor which looked ok, but was rather high price and didn't seem overly popular. There's a coffee shop in the lobby with a pretty decent menu, but it feels more like a coffee shop than a proper restaurant. That said, I managed good meals there. The other option is "pizza take out" from a restaurant by the pool, but there's nowhere to sit. You have to take it to your room.

Overall, I'd definitely stay here again, with the only real caveat that it's not convenient to downtown.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
PascalDemarchi, General Manager at Laico Ouaga 2000 Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your kind comments and for having selected our hotel for your stay in Ouagadougou.
I will share your feedback with the team. We are, may be a little out of the centre, so we are doing our best to balance it up with better facilities and warmer service!
I hope to meet you during your next stay.
Kind regards