“Not Worth the Price Increase”
Review of Days Inn Atlantic

Days Inn Atlantic
Days Inn Atlantic
Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Atlantic
Colorado, USA
“Not Worth the Price Increase”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

This was always a decent budget motel, good for an overnight stay. I have stayed here several times each year for many years and it was always adequate for my needs. I stayed here when it was Econo-Lodge, then Days Inn, then America's Best Value. The price was always appropriate for what I got.
This past May I stayed here again, first time as the Sunset Inn. It had just changed ownership, and that was about all that had changed. Same rooms, bedcovers, etc., as would be expected. The new owner was very personable. The price was around $60 per night, which was in line with my previous experiences.
A few weeks ago I went to the motel's website to book a room for my next trip and was dismayed to discover that the price had nearly doubled, to $110. Looking at the pictures on their website it appears nothing changed but the price: same rooms, bedcovers, etc. I have to say that I don't believe it's worth that amount of money, and they've lost my business.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Great Lakes country
Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

First, this motel used to be America's Value Inn & Suites but changed owners, causing confusion wirh our previous Priceline reservations, which we cancelled because of it. We got a better price for our first date of June 30, but higher price for our return trip in mid-June, $59 vs $99. But all their paperwork, toiletries, etc, are marked America's. Best Value.

First, this motel is old and looked it on the outside. Paint was worn and flaky. Inside looked better and was clean. Beds were comfortable and sheets were new-looking. The room was clean. The pool was just being filled on our first stay but was open on our way back. Weather was chilly both days so it didn't matter.

Second, there was no coffeepot in the room, so we looked forward to coffee in the office. The second stay the motel was busy and I went down at eight. No coffee left. I had to walk outside around the pool area to the office to get the manager. He made the coffee and left. No cups! So I had to make a second trip.

Third, except for a gas station there are no other places to get something to eat nearby. Atlantic is 7 miles away.

We will skip this place next time.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank luvtodrive
Iowa
Reviewed 2 February 2014

This hotel makes me wish there was a 3.5 star rating available. It's not a bad hotel, but there were a few things that kept it from being great. It's a little off the beaten path (which made for a quiet stay), but there is a gas station next door. The hotel is not located in Atlantic but is around ten miles away. The rooms were nothing fancy, but were clean. The beds and pillows were very comfortable. Rooms have a small fridge and microwave which was very nice. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating, and check in was a breeze. The breakfast area has a pizza oven and they sell frozen pizzas in the lobby, which is something I've never seen in a hotel before, but really liked. The hotel has an outdoor pool, but we stayed in February, so I can't say how that was.

Now what keeps this from being a great hotel...Let me confess something - we came for the waffles. Ok not ONLY for the waffles, but reading other reviews that mentioned waffles (the marquee outside even says "waffles"), biscuits and gravy, and a great continental breakfast definitely helped influence our decision to stay here. Well...there were no waffles. The breakfast consisted of bagels, toast, apples, two kinds of cold cereal, oatmeal, juice, and coffee. (The first day we were there, the juice dispenser ran out of orange juice and dispensed only water.) Not a bad breakfast, but nothing spectacular.

Something else that really bugged us? Our beds were never made. We stayed for three nights and the beds weren't even straightened in all that time. (In fact, one of the flat sheets fell on the floor the first night and got taken out with the dirty linens. It wasn't even replaced until we left a note. The replacement sheet was left folded on the bed.) I have no problem with our bedding not being changed, but I was a little put out by the beds not being made (or at the very least straightened up a bit).

Finally, I felt the security was a little lax. The hotel has several outside doors. The one that was closest to our room was never locked, not even at night.

If you are looking for a low-cost, no frills hotel, this is definitely the place. Just don't expect waffles.

Room Tip: The first 20 or so rooms closest to the breakfast area are smoking rooms.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank justllama
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We just needed a stop overnight while traveling farther east in Iowa. Nice room. Clean. Comfortable bed. Small refrig. and microwave in the room We wanted non-smoking and it seemed the whole first floor was non -smoking. No problems at all, no smoke smell. Great continental breakfast...even the waffle option. Nice bike trail behind the hotel - if so inclined for a walk or bike ride. This is a rural area...nothing else at this exit. Friendly staff. A good choice. A good tourist type stop is just down the road to the east a few miles. Freedom Rock. I highly suggest you take a few minutes to pull off and check it out. It's only a mile off the road and well worth the stop. It has been featured on emails and fb for quite some time.

Room Tip: We wanted smoke free and were accommodated. I had booked the room three nights before our stay.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paula A
Addison, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great place to stay for the night, right off I-80...quiet....Gas station next door. Clean rooms and great Breakfast with the best biscuits & and real sausage gravy according my hubby. Very reasonable rates Out in no mans lands!!! If you want a nice quiet place to sleep while on the road..this is the place to stay. We stayed here the last wk in April. This review is a little late.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Darlene C
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is a clean, friendly place with good value. They had a double queen room for $50-some dollars after an active-duty military discount; I believe the normal room was $60-some dollars. Dog could stay in the room for no extra cost. Large spacious room, simply but well appointed. Great place to pull over at for the night.

Room Tip: Specify smoking or no-smoking.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Fort Madison, Iowa
Reviewed 12 June 2013

Good value for the money. Clean room. Close to interstate 80. Friendly staff. NOTE: great, scenic, flat, paved 20 mile one-way bike path just yards from hotel lobby: T-Bone Bike Trail- (http://www.atlanticiowa.com/visiting-atlantic/t-bone-trail)

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side face the bike trail
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Atlantic
Boulders Inn & Suites
Econo Lodge Inn & Suites Walnut
Motel 6 Avoca
Motel 6 Avoca
#1 of 3 in Avoca

Been to Days Inn Atlantic? Share your experiences!