“Was expecting more ...”
Review of Hilton Yaounde

Hilton Yaounde
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Yaounde
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Was expecting more after several positive reviews and reports of "renovations". Even for central African standards, the Hilton Yaoundé is not really fresh anymore.The overall impression is rather of it going "downhill", like all of the country, I'm afraid. The outside facades are that of a dump, with the oldest Hilton logo I've seen in a long time. Lobby and restaurant areas are not much better. Pool and rooms are just ok. Service is mixed. But then ... you don't really have a choice in Cameroon's capital.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear TrophyCollector,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us.
We are sorry to learn that you were not entirely satisfied with our services and also that you felt we were in need of rennovations.

First and quick answer about the Logo (Signage), it has already been ordered long time ago, if all goes well during the next 3 months we should have already receive it.

We were surprised to read that you felt our restaurants need rennovation, since besides from the Panoramic bar, the other restaurants and bar have gone through refurbs in the last 3/4 years.
Glad you appreciated the rooms and the swimming pool.

We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future and reverse the mitigate impression you are now under.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Yaounde

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Second time staying at the Hilton in Yaounde. The rooms are large and spacious with nice bathrooms. My room this time around had small insects that seemed to love my computer and were rather annoying. The internet is rather slow in the room and you have to purchase vouchers to access the internet. The breakfast buffet is wonderful but rather costly (equivalent to $25). The restaurant and lobby bar also serve really delicious food and most nights there's live entertainment in the rooftop lounge. The walls in the hotel are rather thin as I unfortunately had to succumb to listening to the raucous in the room next door at 3am. Its a very busy hotel, lots of business men, and lots of movement in the lobby at all times. Its one of the nicer, if not the nicest hotel in Yaounde. The rooms may need a bit of upcoming to ensure no creepy crawlers.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY ON THE EXECUTIVE FLOOR. Seems that I was unlucky to stay on this floor and be subjected...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Fao2001,

thank you for the time taken sharing your experience with other travelers.
At Hilton Yaoundé, we always aim to deliver the best service possible and creating memorable moments for our guests.
Thank you for the compliments on the Breakfast and for saying that we probably are the "nicest" Hotel in town.
Since I could not find any trace of guest sharing feedback of insects found, would you be kind enough to contact me and share more details about it. Thank you and sorry for this unpleasant situation, I can guarantee that we are compliant with all pest control measures.

Looking forward to welcome you back and take your level of satisfaction with our service to the next level!!

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I was told that only luxury rooms were available while it was plenty of free standard rooms which rate was the half!! At reception the staff too much insisted in proposing very expensive services. The hotel is extremely expensive for the service they provide. Internet very slow good breakfast

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Monchiero M,

First of all thank you for taking the time to share your experience and also for giving us the chance to improve our service.
At the time of your booking there were only some type of rooms available, later on due to some late cancelation of a group, we ended up having what we call Hilton Guestroom available again. Sorry if this sounds suspicious to you, it was beyond our control.
Trying to understand what could have happened at reception, I believe that our team members were trying to explain all type of services, with our without cost that the Hotel has to offer. We will review the procedure of explaining Hotel services and features in order to prevent this confusion or feeling happening again in the future.
We take note and thank you about your appreciation of our Breakfast.
Dear Monchiero M, please contact me personally for your next stay and I will make sure we make it right to you and improve the impression left in your last stay.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

I recently spent several nights at the Hilton in Yaounde, Cameroon. For a 5-star hotel, I was disappointed with the slow speed of the internet and in the fact that it was treated as a rare commodity! One had to ask everyday for a new internet access code. What is more, it was only available in the reception lobby. This was hugely inconveniencing and totally unlike what I would have expected. My air-conditioning in the room was not working and I slept badly most nights. I was glad to leave in the end. For such a high price it was poor value for money.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Andrew W,

thank you for taking the time to share your experience with other travellers.
I'm sorry to read that this time we have failed providing the service you expected in what refers to the internet and the airconditioning.

The Wi-Fi is free up to 8 consecutive hours in public areas, we do provide individual codes for each connection, I understand that this might not suit your needs, yet it is free.

I apologize for the aircon problem, due to an iced-water pipe breakage (what makes the air cold when blowing) we had our aircon system temperature reduced by 4 degrees. Although there was airconditioning it was not as cold as it uses to be. It took us 24 hours to refill all pipes with the iced-cold water and to re establish the temperature we wanted. Some rooms were better than others since it works by zones and we have offered some Guest to be moved to other rooms as well.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the city of the 7 hills and show you that last time was an isolate case.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

The Hilton is supposedly the best hotel in Yaounde, but we had a very disappointing experience at the Hilton. Where to begin...
The rooms were quite dirty. I cleaned my bathroom floor to get rid of the hairs.
The water was rusty, and one night a pipe burst, so we were without tap water for many hours. The front desk was less than helpful, saying that the problem would be fixed in a few minutes (it took around 6 hours) and that we would get updates in our rooms (we didn't).
The elevators sometimes got stuck, one time stranding me. (Most times 3 of the 4 elevators worked, but if the elevator was stuck on the floor you were on, you were out of luck.)
The staff were not unpleasant, but for the most part they didn't pay us much attention.
The food was edible, but not what one would expect at this price.
The US State Department has just issued a warning about travel to Cameroon and has noted many kidnappings. Security is minimal at this hotel, with no barriers to cars entering and no screening of vehicles or people.
The bottom line is that if this weren't a Hilton and we weren't paying over $300 a night, I might not be so displeased.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear TeenfoodiesMom,

First of all I would like to apologize for the several inconvenient you have faced during your stay with us.

I will try to break it down and respond individually to each point:

.- The comments about the cleanliness of the bathroom have been shared with the Housekeeping team and we are now currently emphasizing this message in order to be very careful with such details. Sorry for the unpleasantness and be assured that corrective actions will been taken.

.- The water supply cut you experienced during your stay was due to a main pipe breakage. This due to massive electric supply interruptions that the City of Yaoundé has been suffering in the past weeks, the amount of water released once the pump starts over generates breakage. Without looking for excuses but more specifically to provide you with full details of the situation during that specific event. To fix a main pipe, we must interrupt the circulation of water for few hours. This incident occurred around 19H30 and the water supply was interrupted at 20H00. This issue was solved at 00H00. In the meantime we have provided information about the situation, updates on the evolution, mineral water to all rooms and alternatives to our Guests. I'm sorry to hear that we were not as effective as we thought since you have obviously been misinformed. I apologize for this and I will cascade this feedback to the Guest Service center of the Hotel.

.- The only Elevator that was presenting some challenges has now been repaired, the missing engine to repair it was coming from abroad which caused some delays and to avoid having disruption in the service we placed it OOS. Sorry of this was an inconvenient during those days, it was nevertheless the only and best choice we had.

.- Regarding the security, I cannot share all the equipment nor the manpower we use or have but I can guarantee that we are in compliance with all safety and security standards that Hilton Hotels and Resorts requires and also what the destination implies.

Dear Teenfoodiesmom, if you ever come back to Cameroon, please contact me first and I will make sure you will have an unforgettable stay this time since it is not the type of taste that we want our Guest to leave our Hotel.

Reviewed 16 April 2014

Yaounde' is a modern city and has many international visitors and is said to be bilingual, english being the second language, this is not entirely true. For the rest of the city I understand and respect, for the hotel I jsut dont understand why it is not a priority to teach all the staff to be able to have simple conversations in English. As someone who could not speak French I was seriously frustrated. The bathrooms must be changed, they are really old and not so comfortable to use. I had to constantly use a shower. The hotel MUST invest in a spa...this is imperative. I stayed for 10 blessed days and I hope to have a few spa sessions from my hard and long days..there was none and that is painful and NOT expected from a HILTON hotel.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2014

Dear Nomalungisayoko P,

First of all I would like to thank you for choosing the Hilton Yaoundé during your recent visit to Cameroon.

It is through the feedback from Guests that we can improve our services, therefore thank you for sharing it us.

It is clear fact that although English is the second language most spoken in Cameroon since it is officially a bilingual country, due to our location the prominent language is French.
I can reassure you we provide not only courses in English, but all kind of training materials are in English and we have intensive online courses for some of our team members that wish to excel their level of English. We will continue working in that specific area and we apologize if you found communication difficult at times.
Regarding the SPA, we do have some facilities like Sauna, Hammam, 2 massage rooms, Jacuzzi, Fitness center and the amazing outdoor pool that I'm sure you could enjoy. Of course these features do not mean we have a Spa but we like to think that is similar to it.

Perhaps next time you will have time to book yourself a massage a combine it with the Hammam!!

Looking forward to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 10 April 2014

Most five star hotels have 3 or 4 English language news channels. The Hilton Yaounde has 1, and it wasn't functioning on my set. After half an hour of heavy lifting, housekeeping replaced my defective set with one that got CNN. Why no BBC or Al Jazeera English? Search me.

The pool closes early, so evening swimmers should swim in their bathtubs. Room service and breakfast are OK but expensive. My bill was over $400, which is a lot.

The card keys are not linked to the power system, so you can leave your room with the TV, computer and lights all on while you're away. This is not very green.

Excellent location.

The forex quotes a rate of 450 to the dollar. I've never heard such a poor rate in West Africa.

I'm glad that Conrad Hilton is not around to see what's happened to his inheritance.

Room Tip: Away from the street.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
Hendrick C, Director of Operations at Hilton Yaounde, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Constanttraveler71,

thank you for sharing your experience and mainly for choosing the Hilton Yaoundé during your recent stay in April.
I'm sorry to learn that the overall stay was not as impressive as you expected it to be and I would like to apologize for the fact that CNN had some disruption during your stay. It has been fixed now.

Regarding the TV selection, please allow me to highlight that we offer different variety of news channels in French and English since this is bi-lingual country. Some national channels provide news both in English and French in order to respect both languages heritage.

I apologize if the closing time of the swimming pool could not meet your needs, we are open from 9am to 7pm in order to close when daylight is gone, since it's an outdoor pool this is the best solution in terms of safety. We can only be open during those hours and it is also when the lifeguard is on duty.

I'm glad that you liked our room and the breakfast, the Hilton Breakfast is very popular and renown around the globe. Especially now that the Hilton Yaoundé has its "Miss Breakfast" offering homemade pastries to our Guests.

I really hope that we can welcome you in the near future and show you that Conrad Hilton legacy and vision are well spread around our team members, making sure we keep the promise to fill the earth with the warmth and light of Hospitality.

Kind regards,