“Best and only option in Bangui”
Review of Hotel du Centre

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bangui
Hotel du Centre
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Bangui
Reviewed 12 March 2013

Apart from the Ledger hotel, this one is the only hotel where you could meet international standards. This said; don’t expect much except for the price, with rooms ranging between 48.000 and 41.000 Francs CEFA.(95 – 81 USD), breakfast not included. For this price, one would expect a clean bedroom, with clean linen, and so on. Well, when I opened the bed, I decided I’d better use my own sheets. As for the towel, I asked the reception to get it changed as it was so stained I actually didn’t feel like using it. Because of a scheduled power outage, no light or A/C can be used from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. The only advantage here is that all rooms have wi-fi (ask for the code at the reception) with free internet connection. There is a large swimming pool where you can have a bath, provided that you don’t focus much on water quality (use of goggles and bathing cap highly recommended). The staff was friendly and corteous (as I can speak French, I don't know if they have a good command of English). Its central location allows you to visit the two main coffee shops in Bangui, Phenicia and Grand Café, where you can find confectionery products, bakery products, beverages and dairy products. Relax and enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Amore64

Reviewed 11 July 2012

Good service and gentle staff tries to maintain as good as they can this old french colonial Hotel of the 50's.
- room is awful, bring your bed sheets and towels
- Wifi is yo yo going
- water same problem
- A/C stopped from 10pm to 5am
- no credit card accepted but good change rate with USD or Euro.

Now (since two weeks) much better option in town: Ledger.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank antonisworld
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I dont have a lot of experience staying in hotels in third world countries. We had four people in our group and all of us had gripes about the cleanliness of the rooms. I've slept in some dirty places and this is the second worst place I've stayed (a close second to my brother's band's loft in New York City). When we arrived, my room appeared to not have been truly cleaned for, well, years. It is either third world ignorance or a business secure in the knowledge that they are the best thing in town (until the Ledger opens this week). Recommend you bring your own towels, a set of sheets, and shower shoes. I will upload pictures of my bathroom from the day of my arrival.

Oh, the 5 inch rat climbing up and down behind the bar ( which shares a wall with the restaurant) was a nice touch.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 June 2012

This must have once been quite a good hotel but its now degraded. Unfortunately while some of the appearances still hint to the good times, the services you actually need are absent or below par. Thus the room are relatively large but not very clean. The TVs a joke and internet absent. There is a pleasant looking pool with seating around it, but as I was there for business I did not have the time to indulge. All of the above comes for a whopping price tag so value is lousy.
There is not that much choice in Bangui but you can certainly do better than this.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at the Hotel du Centre for six nights in January. Approximate cost was 45,000 CFA. The JM residences are nicer but also more expensive, and way on the edge of town- at least from Hotel du Centre you can walk to several places for breakfast (Grand Cafe or Phonicia) or lunch (Garden, Chinese restaurant, Tentacion, or Ali Baba). For dinner, if you are with a group of 3 or more, I would walk to a nearby restaurant, but if you are alone, take a taxi.
We stayed in a room on the second floor; it wasn't great but it wasn't the worst I've ever been in (although for the price, it's not great at all). The electricity went out every night from 10 pm to about 2 am; the generator comes on but will not power the a/c. On the first night when the power went out, I went downstairs to complain and they gave me a fan, which actually worked like a champ and I kept it the rest of the week and really had no problems as far as temperature after that.
Lots of "sellers" our front, as people have commented, although no one came to our room or followed us in- maybe because we were a couple- no problem with "ladies of the night".
The "le Grill" downstairs was fairly good, I ate breakfast there on the weekend but prefer a lighter breakfast during the week, but they have one set price- so during the week I walked (5 min) to Grand Cafe and picked up a croissant and coffee. I tried lunch at Le Grill one day and was pleasantly surprised (I had the brouchette de beouf). We had a nice conversation with the owner of "Garden", pretty much next door to the hotel- great chicken and cold beer- but be warned, he needs to change his painted sign, as the chicken is not 5,000 CFA any more (try more like 10,000).

The room did not get cleaned unless I specifically went and asked for it- I brought my own soap and shampoo, although they did provide one of each (single serving) when we checked in. Towels and linens were okay; clean, though old and had rust spots on them.

The whole hotel was being scraped and repainted the week I was there; it looked much brighter when we left.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank deahh
Reviewed 11 June 2010

I am currently in Bangui for three weeks on business. Due to a severe shortage of hotel/apartments in Bangui, I was booked in here. Arrived with other people's ideas and they were proved correct. The hotel staff are friendly as they can be despite the language problems we faced. I speak no French and they speak little or no English but we got along. The room could do with a thorough make over - the bed spread was clean but I decided not to venture beyond that - I brought my own bedsheets and towels. Good idea because the towels that were white at one time, over a period of time had turned to yellow and rust colour. Bring your soap although you could buy some soap from the shop in the hotel. The food in the restaurant was excellent - Ivorian fish with tomatoes was my favourite. The hotel gets a little active after dark when women of all sizes and shapes try to ply their trade - with the full support of the hotel staff and security - who are all in the game to make some money. Seeing that the majority of the people live below the poverty line, this did not surprise me. Anyway, the hotel is full all the time and it is difficult to get a room. Air France use this hotel for their crew - there is only one AF flight from Paris a week - so the crew spend the night and then leave the next morning. So if you are travelling in between the Air France schedule, you could get one of the crew rooms which would be a tad more cleaner. AF comes in on Wednesday and departs on Thursday morning - I am not too sure!!

Anyway, good luck in Bangui. I would not recommend this hotel but since there is an acute shortage of rooms, there is no choice!!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
8  Thank solberenger
Reviewed 13 May 2010

This is not a pleasant hotel but then there is not a lot to chose from in the city, and after a few days you'll get used to it. It's a little dirty and uncomfortable. The Air France rooms on second floor is worth booking if you can, they are a little better, and only a little more expensive, and there is no wall to wall carpet.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank foodienorth

Been to Hotel du Centre? Share your experiences!