“Never! Never!”

Ranked #95 of 117 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Never! Never!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

I'd like to assume most people never opt to stay here! Its old musty and damp! Small dark rooms faulty piping in bathrooms and grimy towels! It was a transit thing , Thanks Ethiopian airlines! Just a night so all I wanted to do was get it over with! I had work colleagues with me so it wasn't so bad, one of them lost his painting there and the staff were clueless! Don't try breakfast its like left overs! Trust me they reccomend that hotel to help out and its a horrible place !

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Korean first
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2013

A 15 hour layover in Addis Ababa left me with Ethiopian Airlines generously offering a free hotel stay, along with transportation to and from Bole International Airport and a complimentary breakfast, lunch and dinner from the hotel's restaurant. Hey, can't beat free, free, and free! We had to wait around a half hour for a bus pickup from the airport, but immigration waived the visa-on-arrival fee as I exited the terminal. Thanks! Nice little bonus. The traffic from the airport to the hotel was bustling, but you are able to see some of the street life that is the Ethiopian capitol city. The staff was wonderful, spoke good English and hospitable to a fault. The hotel is in the center of a noisy stretch of town, with men with guns guarding building entrances. So security is taken seriously here. But it doesn't feel unsafe, if you know what I mean. I took a walk around Bole after I checked in, to see some of the neighborhood. The room, since it was free, I can't complain too much about, but it was a smaller room with a balcony, small bath and generally in need of a deep cleaning. But I got a few hours of sleep, which is what I wanted during my 15 hour layover. The food in the restaurant was okay, they try hard to please you, but their interperation of beef tips was, let's say, interesting. Edible, but not something I have tasted before. But they get an A for effort, because they are unfailingly nice at this hotel. Wi-Fi was complimentary, and welcome, as well as the bar off of the lobby. They had a gift shop, but I couldn't get anyone to open it for me to buy some trinkets.

But they really showed their hospitality when I was waiting for the van back to the airport at 9 p.m. The driver showed up, and we were about to leave, but a late arriving gaggle of guests exited the van so they could eat their free dinner in the hotel's dining room. Very selfish and impolite of the men, and I had to request very nicely that the driver take me to the airport without them, because I had no desire to wait for their poorly planned dinner. After demanding firmly a couple times that we go, and leave the men behind, the hotel agreed and I was off to the airport in time. So they did the right thing by me, and I appreciated being able to stay at the hotel. It was quite an experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the direction of the Airport, better views from that side of the hotel.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelingHoob
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2013

Spent the day here on a return flight from BKK to IAD. Since my layover was greater than 8 hours, Ethiopian Airlines put me up here as they contract with the hotel. Not expecting much, I can say that I wasn't disappointed. Too bad as the hotel obviously once had some charm, but those days are well behind it. The staff does their best, but having little to work with, they can only stretch their resources so far. I actually switched rooms to get my room with no view. The first one was actually worse. In both, the sheets were worn, the towels had holes, the carpet stains, and a faint musty smell. It was the bugs in the bathroom of the first that caused me to switch. Management could make the place into something top notch once again, but it would take a sizable commitment and an influx of capital. In its current state, I would only stay again if I got the room as part of the layover process.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo

Travellers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Rome, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

The moquette carpet was filthy. Their vacuum cleaner had apparently broken down that morning and remained so for my entire stay. The bathroom was clean though.

Wireless internet hardly ever worked in the rooms. My colleague was lucky enough to have a room with LAN cable working, but most rooms did not have one. You get 1 hour internet in the lobby which worked about half the time. When it worked it was fast enough for a video call.

There are plenty of good hotels in Addis, I will look better next time

Room Tip: Ask for LAN connection if you really have to stay in this hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank GeoMmm
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2013

Booked here with a few others who missed connections at ADD. The hotel is contracted by Ethiopian Airlines to house stranded travellers.
Hotel is OK. Area around the hotel is under construction and quite loud during the day. Food is okay - there are curries and rice and a few salads for each meal. No sweets and one bottled beverage per meal. Only the meals in the downstairs restaurant are included in the free layover meals.

The elevator is tiny. As per Africa - the power does go out fairly regularly, but usually not for long. You don't want to be in the elevator when the power goes out.
Unlimited wifi is included - you can log in multiple devices with the same logon ID. Don't need to log in to wifi in lobby.

Room Tip: Rooms are widely varied - the "01" rooms seem to be nicer and larger. 601, 701 etc. Highe...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank kayehm
Pietermaritzburg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013 via mobile

Hotel is under construction, but thankfully the activity seemed to decrease overnight. However, it is next to a busy road, and the sounds of traffic were quite noticeable through the windows which did not shut properly. The room was large but not very homely. Service at reception is indifferent - WiFi was switched off a and no attempt was made to switch it on despite a request to do so. Good dinner buffet and breakfast. This is one of many hotels that seems to be contracted by Ethiopian Airlines to accommodate transiting passengers - for that purpose it isnadequate, but I would not choose to stay here.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Adam A
Lagos, Nigeria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I spent one night here after missing my connecting Ethiopian Airline flight in January 2013. After waiting endlessly for the pickup bus from the hotel, we arrived to see a poorly maintained hotel with construction going on all around. I can only describe it as the worst hotel I've been in! Very narrow range of food, very tiny rooms, was given an extension box with exposed cables, wifi never worked, furniture in the bar needed fixing... I could go on and on. The 'view' was horrible, items were dumped beside the hotel (in the course of the ongoing renovation, i think). I won't advice anyone to stay here until they get their act together.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo