“Did not live up to expectations - gym is good though”

Jupiter International Hotel - Bole
Ranked #9 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
London, United Kingdom
“Did not live up to expectations - gym is good though”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

Room was tired especially the bathroom, wifi internet was poor compared to other hotels/places in Addis (despite the fact it sells itself as a business hotel and hot water supply was unreliable). Location is right next to Radison Blu which has a great Tomoca coffee shop. They also have an excellent gym. Staff were competent but not friendly or overly helpful. However, breakfast was very good and the restaurant menu was extremely varied and food was high quality. I returned here just for the food after moving to other accommodation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 9 September 2013

I wish to write specifically about the Jupiter@Bole. I arrived at the hotel on the 5th of Sept. I mention some highlights of my experience below:

Pros:
- the smiling and helpful staff

Cons:
- the food was served cold and late
- the room was small and filled with dust
- the internet connection was not stable

To elaborate, I was greeted by the most friendly staff on my arrival. I was given a room on the first floor. This was probably the only functional room there. The other rooms had construction on-going in them. Some were pending fittings while others were simply left unattended.
Since I was there only for a day, the size of the room did not matter to me but I could not ignore all the dirt and dead flies!
Anyways I left my stuff in the room and went down to the lounge/restaurant to grab some grub. I ordered a veg. grilled sandwich, which was served cold to me after 45 mins. I ate as much as I could and then tried to access the internet. The connection in the lounge was fair but back in the room, I could not manage a stable connectivity.

The 2 points I give is in praise of the staff the hotel has although I would not recommend Jupiter@Bole for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the first floor. Prefer Jupiter@Cazanchise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear guest, we are in the midst of renovating/upgrading our rooms and we truly apologize for any inconveniences that may have caused you. Please do come back next time you are in Addis ,so that we can offer you one of our brand new rooms.You will not be disappointed
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 27 August 2013

I tried both Jupiter hotels in Addis, in addition to many other hotels in the Capital, and they remain my favourite choice. The airport shuttle works well, internet is OK, the rooms are clean and comfortable (a bit small in Cazanchise), but a bit noisy in both cases - do not forget your earplugs.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AB34000
Dear guest , thank you for the encouraging words about our Hotel. We will try even harder to do better
Pullman, Washington
Reviewed 25 August 2013

I spent three long weeks in Kenya prior to three months of fieldwork in Southern Ethiopia. I needed some good rest before traveling to Hawassa to begin my fieldwork. I got excellent rest and excellent service at the Jupiter. The staff was wonderful. I ordered room service, and it was great and delivered quickly. The WiFi worked. The room was very clean and comfortable. There is an International ATM just out the front lobby. Overall, I was very satisfied with my stay, although it was a bit pricey. I guess it was worth the cost for some good rest, food, and service!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MissLiss_13
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing Jupiter International Hotel for the good rest you needed after weeks of hard work, and we are grateful that we were able to provide it. .We look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in Addis
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Gorgeous, clean, aircon, buffet breakfast, very helpful and friendly service. Perfect base for my family and I to relax in between going on a few trips to lalibela, harar and south. The airport pickups and drop offs were excellent.

• Stayed June 2013
Brussels, Illinois
Reviewed 15 July 2013

It seems there are two jupiter hotels - and from what I gather the difference in quality between them is huge. The one I stayed in - The jupiter international - is far too expensive for the quality you are getting. The bathroom was horrible. There was a constant layer of water in the shower, already there prior to my arrival. When I complained about this and asked for a different room or atleast a discount on the rate it was like talking to the wall. Never again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Sabun S
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Dear guest, thank you for caring enough to share your thoughts a year after you last stayed with us. While we would have wished for a more positive review we do welcome and try to learn from those reviews that are not flattering. Based on your descriptions we suspect that you may have been booked in a room that was out of order, something that should never happen. We truly regret that. We wish you had brought the issue to the attention of management who I am certain would have resolved it to your complete satisfaction. It's a year later now and we would like to think that we are an even better hotel now with much improved rooms and better quality control systems. Never again is simply too long, please give us another opportunity to prove ourselves worthy of your trust again.
Gainesville, Virginia
Reviewed 5 July 2013

I arrived at the Addis airport after midnight and, due to a miscommunication, no one was there to pick me up. Unable to contact the person who was supposed to meet me, I checked-in at the Jupiter for the night. Within an hour, the Jupiter staff had helped me contact my missing ride and I was picked up by him at the hotel. Even after all the trouble I had put the hotel through (picking me up from the airport, checking me in, exchanging my US dollars for Ethiopian Birr, showing me to my room, helping me contact my ride, etc.) the hotel refused to charge me for any of its services.

Although I didn't spend the night at the Jupiter, I did spend some time in one of its rooms. I'm very sure I would have been completely comfortable to have stayed there during the entire time I was in Addis.

I sincerely thank the Jupiter International Hotel staff for their hospitality and help when, late at night and far from home, I was faced with a very distressing situation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Doug W
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, 8 July 2013
Dear guest, thank you for your kind words. We are happy that our colleagues at Jupiter International Hotel were able to assist you locate the people you were looking for. We realize that being away from home can cause anxiety and that a friendly gesture can reduce the level of anxiety. At Jupiter we firmly believe that you are a guest even if you are not staying in our Hotels