“Jupiter International Hotel at Bole”

Jupiter International Hotel - Bole
Ranked #9 of 117 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Espoo, Finland
“Jupiter International Hotel at Bole”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2013

I booked my three week tour of Ethiopia with Abeba Tours (http://www.abebatoursethiopia.com) and they were fantastic to work with, ready and willing to listen and change the plans according to my wishes but also full of proposals for me. Ethiopia being what it is, just about the only way to see the country in a “civilized” way is with an organized tour, but it is also a country where a tour for just one person is possible. This is what I did.

The lodges and hotels I stayed were all classified as “upmarket” in the warmly recommended Bradt guide book (Edition 6 from Sept 2012). The price level in the country is very reasonable and even “upmarket” is only around 50 dollars (list price) a night including breakfast.

Many people visit developing countries like Ethiopia expecting similar five star service as, say, in London. My review expects that the reader understands this not to be the case. Keep an open mind and you will experience the holiday of the lifetime!

As I was a solo traveler, I often got the smallest room next to the showers (sometimes literally!) but there were many exceptions. I ignore stuff like that.

After three weeks in various lodges and hotels in small towns, it was kind of a shock to arrive in a hotel which could have been anywhere in the rest of the world. The lobby bar could have been in Berlin or Buenos Aires. But once you step out of the building, you do realize that you are still in Ethiopia. Addis has maybe up to 23 million inhabitants and that covers a wide variety of people.

The room is very comfortable. There was renovation going on so the future could be even better.

Having said all that, I have no doubt most people stay here for one night only and that to catch a plane the following morning. I did, too. Location is very convenient for that only. Why would you stay here for any longer time? There are other hotels in better locations for longer stays.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

We only stayed here for a day, en route to Nairobi. The rooms were acceptable, spacious, clean and reasonably equipped. The hotel is bit old but the furnishings are fine.

The restaurant is passable; we had dinner and breakfast there. It's quite small, but the staff tries hard to please. It's reasonably priced and the menu has a mix of western and local dishes. In fact all staff were very pleasant and helpful.

The area around the hotel is a bit scary, lots of run down bits, dust and debris. I wouldn't recommend walking anywhere from the hotel without an escort or guide, we didn't feel safe.

Jupiter manages several other properties in Addis and we passed one that looked very nice. This one is close to the airport, so it's great for making connections or for transit, but for an extended stay, I would look for something better.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Cheyenne2_11
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 September 2013

Room was tired especially the bathroom, wifi internet was poor compared to other hotels/places in Addis (despite the fact it sells itself as a business hotel and hot water supply was unreliable). Location is right next to Radison Blu which has a great Tomoca coffee shop. They also have an excellent gym. Staff were competent but not friendly or overly helpful. However, breakfast was very good and the restaurant menu was extremely varied and food was high quality. I returned here just for the food after moving to other accommodation.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
New Delhi, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I wish to write specifically about the Jupiter@Bole. I arrived at the hotel on the 5th of Sept. I mention some highlights of my experience below:

Pros:
- the smiling and helpful staff

Cons:
- the food was served cold and late
- the room was small and filled with dust
- the internet connection was not stable

To elaborate, I was greeted by the most friendly staff on my arrival. I was given a room on the first floor. This was probably the only functional room there. The other rooms had construction on-going in them. Some were pending fittings while others were simply left unattended.
Since I was there only for a day, the size of the room did not matter to me but I could not ignore all the dirt and dead flies!
Anyways I left my stuff in the room and went down to the lounge/restaurant to grab some grub. I ordered a veg. grilled sandwich, which was served cold to me after 45 mins. I ate as much as I could and then tried to access the internet. The connection in the lounge was fair but back in the room, I could not manage a stable connectivity.

The 2 points I give is in praise of the staff the hotel has although I would not recommend Jupiter@Bole for a longer stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms on the first floor. Prefer Jupiter@Cazanchise.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, 16 September 2013
Dear guest, we are in the midst of renovating/upgrading our rooms and we truly apologize for any inconveniences that may have caused you. Please do come back next time you are in Addis ,so that we can offer you one of our brand new rooms.You will not be disappointed
Nairobi, Kenya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I tried both Jupiter hotels in Addis, in addition to many other hotels in the Capital, and they remain my favourite choice. The airport shuttle works well, internet is OK, the rooms are clean and comfortable (a bit small in Cazanchise), but a bit noisy in both cases - do not forget your earplugs.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank AB34000
Dear guest , thank you for the encouraging words about our Hotel. We will try even harder to do better
Pullman, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

I spent three long weeks in Kenya prior to three months of fieldwork in Southern Ethiopia. I needed some good rest before traveling to Hawassa to begin my fieldwork. I got excellent rest and excellent service at the Jupiter. The staff was wonderful. I ordered room service, and it was great and delivered quickly. The WiFi worked. The room was very clean and comfortable. There is an International ATM just out the front lobby. Overall, I was very satisfied with my stay, although it was a bit pricey. I guess it was worth the cost for some good rest, food, and service!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MissLiss_13
akoraj, Manager at Jupiter International Hotel - Bole, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
Dear Guest, thank you for choosing Jupiter International Hotel for the good rest you needed after weeks of hard work, and we are grateful that we were able to provide it. .We look forward to welcoming you the next time you are in Addis
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Gorgeous, clean, aircon, buffet breakfast, very helpful and friendly service. Perfect base for my family and I to relax in between going on a few trips to lalibela, harar and south. The airport pickups and drop offs were excellent.

• Stayed June 2013