“Friendly, Clean, Comfortable”

Ranked #58 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Abuja, Nigeria
“Friendly, Clean, Comfortable”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

My husband and I spent three nights in this hotel during a pair of layovers in Addis. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, though there can be a language barrier. We arrived quite late the first night, but even though the kitchen was officially closed, we were cheerfully served a decent pizza and some cold beer. The neighborhood is fine, though it is certainly not in the center of town. We found it quite endearing that when we came back for the second leg of our layover, the young woman at the front desk told us we had been upgraded to a better class of room for free -- and then we were shown to the same room we had stayed in before! The food is fine, and room service comes quickly. We had a problem with our TV the first night, and someone was there to fix it in about 30 seconds. This is a place where there is nothing all that special about the rooms, the amenities, etc., but the people are so kind and trying so hard to make you comfortable, it is nicer than many a higher-priced hotel. I would stay here again, absolutely.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Susan P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 April 2012

Really great experience at this hotel! What made it so special? Simple, it’s the people. The colleagues at the Dimitri Hotel are friendly, helpful, and relaxed - it’s like a family. My friend and I traveled to Addis for vacation / adventure, and unfortunately our plane landed at 5am in Addis – we thought we would have to wait until 3pm to check-in, but to our surprise, we were able to check-in to the room as soon as we arrived and took a nice shower and a nap. The hotel manager helped us arrange a plan for sightseeing and was very knowledgeable – answering all of our questions. Breakfast is included, which is really great, you can tell everything is homemade, and the coffee is really high quality. We also had a lunch at the restaurant, and was amazed at how delicious the food was! The beds are comfy and the room features a flat screen TV with many channels / movies to choose from. The bathroom could be improved, but overall the room is in good condition, and very safe. On our last day, we had a lot of free time, as our flight only left at midnight – and again, the hotel manager offered us to keep the room for as long as we needed to store our stuff, relax, perfect!!! One more good thing to add: when I arrived at the airport, I realized I left my camera at the hotel – desperate to have it back (there were so many memoires of beautiful Addis on the camera) I was happy to find that the Hotel located my camera and had alerted me that it was safe via email. I took a taxi back and quickly picked up the camera. Again, I can not say enough good things about this cute little hotel! Will be back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank JAXtravel
heverlee
Reviewed 5 April 2012

very relaxed atmosphere, staff is very professional but friendly and warm in the same time. decent wifi connection. enjoyed watching soccer on tv with locals in the evening. the owner is a very cool lady. price/value the best in addis I guess ..

Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank alexcochez
Leiden, The Netherlands
Reviewed 12 March 2012

Stayed here mainly because of location near to Ethiopian Management Institute. It met my needs in many ways and exceeded them in a few. In the seven days I stayed, I met six worthwhile people there, among which: the hotel manager-lady who proved very helpful and friendly, especially flexible upon my late checkout. The hotel's approved taxi driver had a safe, clean car and spoke English well enough to be helpful, and four other guests there for business provided good conversation during meals and leisure time. Food and service were good and at flexible hours (note, pizzas were quite good). Television & wifi was acceptable given power failures. Hotel has no lift but friendly staff readily carried my bags upstairs.

Room Tip: Upstairs in the back rooms are likely quieter (traffic) and have a nice mountain view. Front and bac...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank SteveFFo
Kabul
Reviewed 12 December 2011

The people were great. They helped me out with whatever I needed. August 2011 was my first trip to Ethiopia and the people at Dimitri helped to make it a great experience. It was far from the main tourist parts of town but that gave me the opportunity to hit the streets and see more of the day to day life of the folks that live in the city. Taxis aren't that expensive especially if you have someone that speaks the language negotiate for you. The hotel was clean, comfortable, the food was good, and the bar had whatever you want.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank CallTyrone
abuja
Reviewed 10 December 2011

I work a USAID funded HIV/AIDS prevention program Heartland Alliance. I was in Ethiopia for the ICASA 2011. Though I have travelled to other parts of Africa and the US but nothing compares t o the hospitality enjoyed at Dimitri hotel. The smile on the faces of staff at 1 :00am in the morining on arrival makes you feel like royalty. The managemnt delights in the cleanliness of the environment especially the rooms which are exquisitely decorated. It is like home from home. On leaving at the end of 9 days, it felt like leaving a family and the service with a smile will always linger in my mind

Room Tip: Remember to ask for room 311. The decor is breath taking with a beatiful view of the hills. Its is B...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business