“Potential for Greatness”

Ranked #82 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Melbourne, Florida
“Potential for Greatness”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

First things first, I stayed at this hotel from October 9th - 17th. More than once, I expressed my disappointment with management regarding the false advertising of Wi-Fi being available in the rooms. I asked them to contact Expedia (who I used for my booking) and have that amenity removed. I have waited this long to write the review in hopes that Soramba (with Expedia's help) would do the right thing and remedy this situation. But as of November 5th, 2013 at 11:03pm (GMT +3), the hotel still lists the following... Under Room Amenities, it has "Free Wi-Fi". Under Internet, it has "Available in all rooms - Free Wi-Fi". This is a lie. False advertisement. Wi-Fi is only avalaible in the lobby, restaurant, & bar. There is wired access to internet in the rooms. Hope this helps other travelers who need to be connected make a decision.

Other than that, I had a pretty decent stay. I did leave a comment card with the hotel upon my departure mentioning my disappointment with their false advertising and also the need for breakfast to be upgraded dramatically. Other than those two things, I can't think of anything else to complain about. The room was clean & comfortable. The balcony was convenient. The selection of food for lunch, dinner, and late meals was truly international.

Room Tip: Unfortunately the elevator didn't go all the way up to the 6th floor while I was there. It only...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kuwait
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

I stayed in the Soramba on two separate occasions 5 days apart. For my first stay I arrived at 9.00am, and the reception happily looked after my bags while I went for a walk around Addis to pass the time until my room was ready - and it was ready early, to my relief! The room was good; clean and spacious with a nice view towards the Entoto Hills. The shower was hot. The bed was comfortable. I had lunch and dinner in the bar/restaurant area. The food was ok - nothing to get excited about. The first breakfast I had there was good with a variety of things to choose from (buffet style). The second time was different - very little variety so I guess breakfast can be a bit 'hit and miss'. I also thought the coffee was pretty lousy, which is surprising in Ethiopia!
The staff were all polite and attentive, although I did find them a little slow (both the waiting staff in the restaurant/bar and the reception staff). There is internet in the reception area and in the restaurant area but it is slow and sometimes doesn't connect at all. There are two computers for guest use in reception,
I think the hotel is in a good location. Took me less than 10 minutes to get to St George Church and another 10 minutes or so to get to the Taitu hotel and Churchill Road. The shuttle bus picked us up on arrival (although it arrived 30 minutes late so would advise phoning the hotel when you're queuing for a visa to make sure it's there on time.)
I think the hotel is good value for money and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Higher rooms (5th and 6th floor) are better as they are further from traffic on a busy road
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Charlotte
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2013

I had an unexpected night in Addis Ababa due to missed connecting flights. The Hotel Soramba is where they put me up for the night. I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel. It was clean and had all of the amenities I needed, hot water, a comfortable bed, and internet. The location left something to be desired, it is on a very busy street. I had 2 completely different experiences in their restaurant. If I was only going by the first, which was breakfast, The rating would be higher. At breakfast I had prompt service, and delicious food. Both Ethiopian, and traditional Western fare were available, plus the added bonus of steaming hot Ethiopian coffee and juices. At lunch, I can't tell you about the meal, I waited for an hour, and never was served.
The shuttle was free and prompt. All in all the experience was better than I hoped, which was unexpected.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Nairobi, Kenya
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

I spent one night in the hotel. I ate out and therefore didnt sample their food, However, the breakfast is its very dry more options would help especially for people who dont take wheat products. The hotel is not very far from the Museum and the shops in town where you can get good deals on leather products. An ok hotel in that area of town. The internet in the rooms works best at night and early morning. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Dubai, UAE
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

A very reasonable 4 star hotel in Addis Ababa. You do not pay for 5 stars but you get friendly service and a clean room, with basic amenities. The hotel offers a free shuttle to and from the airport but it is not very reliable: you need to book in advance but confirm 20 minutes earlier if you want to avoid surprises. The location is very good but a 10 minutes ride from where most hotels are. Internet is free but a bit slow. I would recommend this hotel for a budget stay.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Lima, Peru
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel Soramba is well located near Piazza and close to the office I was visiting, but is just OK, no great rooms, no great food. However I will say service was good, people are kind and willing to help.
Rooms are basic have nice balcony so you can see all city, and even when is located in a busy street is not noisy.
I went for business and spent most of the time out of the hotel going only for sleep so the fact that was quite is a great plus as I just wanted to rest.
Also is good the shuttle service they provided to us not only to/from airport but to our office that is close by.
I willrecommend for business if you arenot looking anything over teh top and luxurious. Not for families on vacation though as it may be too basic and small.

Room Tip: as the street is busy I will recommend top floors, not sure the ones down are noisy but always bette...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business