“Comfortable rooms”

Empire Addis International Hotel
Ranked #117 of 272 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 October 2013

The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The fact that the pretty lamps all have American plugs that don't fit into the wall sockets is a bit of a bummer, though. Be advised that taxi drivers don't know this hotel and the hotel's business card doesn't include an address or other directions. It's close to the DH Geda tower, which almost all will be able to find.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Adeodaantje

Reviewed 4 September 2013

The rooms were very clean and the restaurant was nice. Breakfast was included with the room. The location was a bit off the beaten path and there was considerable construction nearby, but the shuttle picked us up an delivered us without any problems. The hotel did work with our group to make it possible to use the shuttle for some sightseeing in Addis Ababa, which was nice.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Stayed here recently on a free transit courtesy of Ethiopian Airlines.

Assigned a room on the top floor with 2 large single beds. Aesthetically very pleasing with wooden floorboards and decent flat screen tv. Bed was comfortable.

On the negative side the drains in the bathroom were quite smelly and there was quite a lot of noise from construction until late in the night. Strong smell of cigarette smoke coming into the room from outside.

Free hi-speed wifi throughout the hotel.

Very basic dinner and breakfast included.

Located within 10 mins drive of the airport.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I just stayed one night at this hotel with a colleague, but would definitely return. The hotel is very new and the design of the rooms is a lot more modern than other hotels where I've stayed in Addis. The beds were by far the most comfortable of our trip! It was brand new when we stayed there and I think we were some of the first guests, so it was pretty empty, but the staff was friendly and happy to help, and the room service we ordered was quite decent. Good wifi in the room, and a nice clean and modern bathroom. It's a bit hard to find and as it's new not all drivers know it, so you may want to print a map or get directions from the hotel. Basically you go down a side street from Bole road, turn down a small street when you get to the Ambassador hotel, pass the Reliance Apartments and continue to the end of that small street where it turns right and ends at the Empire Addis.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Louise_CD
Reviewed 9 March 2013

I stayed at the Empire Addis hotel on Ethiopian Airlines' account during a long transit at Addis Ababa. The hotel is among the newer and nicer properties in the airport area. Rooms are surprisingly large and comfortable, featuring big screen TVs with satellite channels. Beds are comfortable. Bathroom is clean, well-appointed and features a shower with excellent water pressure. Wireless internet exists throughout the property and features speeds that I hadn't seen before in Ethiopia. The restaurant downstairs does an adequate breakfast and lunch, but nothing more. Staff are very friendly and helpful. The hotel is located only 5-10 minutes walk from a supermarket, shopping mall and a multiplex movie theatre, and only 10 minute drive to the airport. Overall, it is very convenient for a short transit stay.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank SeanMendis
Reviewed 19 December 2012

At the outset I'm willing to admit that my experience with this hotel was prompted by a missed connection and a forced stay. However, I must say that as a reasonably experienced traveler I haven't experienced this level of ineptitude for a very long time. the hotel is indeed new, and I found the staff pleasant upon arrival. I was also pleasantly surprised at the spacious and nicely furnished room. However, it soon became apparent that the toilet in my room was blocked. I called reception at about 14:00 to ask if they could attend to it or move me. No response. Called again. No response. Called again. No response. After falling asleep and waking up over 4 hours late, still no response. I then packed my bag and went to explain to the receptionist that they were please to either change my room, fix the toilet or move me to a new hotel as the bathroom situation was not sustainable in the one I had been staying in. As I write this - using the free wifi from the hotel lobby - I've just seen a guy walk out of the kitchen with a toilet plunger and rubber gloves who I assume is finally attending to the problem. It's 20:23. Nobody has come and spoken to me or apologised for the situation. One other point: I thought as I was here for a few hours I would take in a few sights. The hotel organised taxi offered to guide me for $100 for 2 hours! I realise that hotel taxis always overcharge, but that really was a little excessive. Could be I had a one off bad experience, but my advice: DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2012

Hotel is brand new and looks quite clean. Free internet which is surely plus for any traveller. Spacious rooms and good bed, you can really enjoy sleeping. Ladies serving breakfast are so welcoming and takes good care of you.

• Stayed: November 2012