Empire Addis International Hotel
Monarch Hotel(Addis Ababa)
US$144
US$111
US$110
Ag Palace Hotel(Addis Ababa)(Great Value!)
US$36
US$201
US$105
US$582
US$414
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsconstruction workbetween flightstransit passengersroom was cleanbole airportnice hotelother hotelsairlinedriveraddisusd
Reviewed 31 March 2014

This hotel is located in the place near the airport
Therefore, I carried out to this hotel on foot.
However, since this hotel faced the complicated alley, I could not search it by myself.
You can go in 15 minutes to an airport by bus of a hotel.
However, since the the airport is bery crowded, you have to get up early, and arrive at the airport 2 hours before the departure time.

Room Tip: Everywhere is good condition
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Do not let Ethiopian Airlines make you feel compelled. Ask for another choice and avoid the Empire Addis.

I was forced to overnight in Addis having missed a connection between Emirates and Ethiopian Airlines. After a less than helpful discussion with a lady at the Ethiopian Airlines counter, an overnight stay was recommended by Ethiopian at the Empire Addis for 70USD. I purchased the voucher in good faith and made my way to find a bus or taxi that would take me there (included in the voucher).

On arrival, the hotel appeared OK however it was when I reached my room that I realized that I should have paid more money and headed for a more reputable hotel. The room was basic, and lacked security and privacy. The bathroom had a large port hole type of widow facing directly onto adjoin buildings. The door lock was not fully functional. I received a phone message from Ethiopian Airlines however was unable to take the call in my room. I had to go to reception to take the call. The tariff included breakfast but it was an unappetizing buffet with no staff on hand and in an inadequate dining room.

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody. Spend a little more money and get something decent. If Ethiopian offers it to you, ask for another option.

Room Tip: If you have to stay there, ensure you ask for a room with a functioning lock on the door.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank NandiSkipper
Reviewed 16 January 2014

Stayed 1 day at the Empire Addis during 14 hour layover on Ethiopian Airlines (airline gives free hotel and shuttle if your transit is between 8 and 24 hours). Shuttle from airport to hotel took only 5 minutes or so. Hotel is clean and comfortable for a quick nap. Bathroom is very basic. Our shower door was loose. Free meals were pretty bad. Lunch included bland spaghetti, bread, and rice. Looked like there was some stewed meat, but this ran out before I had any.

Front desk is fairly efficient, but not very helpful. Asked about things to do in the city and was recommended the National Museum. That's it. Decided to hire a cab for half a day and the driver showed us some sites such as the National Museum, the University, a church where Solomon's son is believed to be buried, a HUGE market, and a nice dinner place.

Overall, hotel is functional and conveniently located, but nothing compared to 2-3 star hotels elsewhere, but this was our time in Africa, so no basis of comparison.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank jeffng1029
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Empire Addis 1 free night (transit organised by Ethiopian Airlines)
The hotel is correct for one night. The facilities are clean and the bed is ok.
You have Internet Wifi in the rooms ...
The diner was awful... But nothing special to be expected during a free stay. The breakfast was not bad...
The hotel is very close to the airport and the shuttle is free.
BUT you need to be ready to open your eyes at 5.30 in the morning by the muezzin saying the prayer in a speaker (it's not taking 30 seconds)

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 November 2013

I recently stayed at the Empire Addis. While the staff is nice the rooms what you would expect at the price point in Addis, the location near one of the main orthodox churches keep me an my colleagues up all night! Beware that if you stay on the church side of the hotel you will be kept up from constant loud praying from all night. When several of us asked to be relocated to the other side of the hotel because of the noise, we given new rooms on the SAME side of the hotel.

Room Tip: non church side!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business