“Seven Stars...but seriously slipping!”

Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 121 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I have stayed at the Sheraton Addis several times over the past few years, but this time was really a disappointment. This 7-star hotel is part of the Sheraton Luxury Collection -- and the hefty room rates lead one to expect a truly exceptional experience. Such used to be the case. The facilities are stunning, truly a jewel in the Sheraton crown. But, one expects perfection in a 7-star hotel. In my room, the hair dryer didn't work, one of the lamps on the bedside table was broken, and the staff did not replace some service items in my room. Also, I waited over an hour for coffee to be delivered one morning, even though I had ordered the night before. These are minor details, which I would easily overlook in any other context....but, 7 stars should be 7 stars. Personally, I don't think the Sheraton is worth the price. There are numerous hotels in Addis -- not even remotely as fancy -- but certainly acceptable, with service that can make one overlook floors that are not marble, and the lack of a dancing laser fountain in the back terrace...

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the fountain (back of the hotel) -- street noise is a real problem for th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Kriss B
There are newer reviews for Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed at the Sheraton for 5 nights. I list the positives/negatives of my stay at the Sheraton below:

Positives
- outstanding hotel property in Addis
- very clean and modern facilities
- comfy beds & spacious rooms
- nice mix between a resort feel hotel and a business hotel - so great for spouses who may be accompanying their spouses on a business trip/conference
- live entertainment and various dining options
- lively bar scene with many locations for cocktails
- great wifi - I streamed my TV shows from the US with little delay
- swimming pool with outdoor lounge area with sun loungers
- Executive lounge with warm staff members and average offering of snacks/complimentary drinks

Negatives
- Service around the hotel can be a bit slow - particularly at the lobby bar and the pool area & for services like a bellhop
- No fitness center. If you want to work out, they will wheel an exercise bike into your room for your use…literally. The resort is huge - why is there no fitness centre? Perplexing!
- Food - I was thoroughly disappointed with the food in Addis period. But since I stuck with pretty basic foods at the Sheraton, I thought I could avoid disappointment. Not so much. Rotisserie chicken (overcooked and tough); French Fries (never served hot - they always came out room temp); Baked potato (not cooked long enough so still quite hard).
Spa - facilities are good but I wouldn't say luxurious. The treatment rooms have no A/C so be prepared for a "warm massage." And my massage was below average and too oily. If I had it to do again, I'd skip the spa.

All in all though, a great hotel option for Addis and one that I would most definitely return to if I were in Addis again. But I'm always perplexed how the star ratings of hotels are handed out. Do hotel properties just make it up themselves? The Sheraton, IMO, is a solid 4 star property. For a 5 star property, I expect the look/feel of the hotel, facilities of the hotel, food/beverage offerings of the hotel and service level of most staff members to be impeccable. So, while I enjoyed my stay at the Sheraton Addis, I did not feel like I was at a 5 star property compared to other 5 star hotels that I have stayed at around the globe.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the lush gardens. Very nice wake up view.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OnlyNYCTravelDiva
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Standard Sheraton hotel, with everything one might expect from a hotel representing this chain (e.g. rooms, staff, facilities, etc.). Location is very good, in the center of the city and not so far from the international airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank J7365QA
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Pro's:
- Very clean, safe, hospitable
- Nice comfortable rooms, beds, bathrooms
- Reasonable selection of restaurants for a one or two week stay (Indian, Italian, General/buffet, lobby lounge area)

Con's:
- No gym. They have an 'arrangement' with a gym in the Bole road area for 200 Birr ($11) per visit. Which is a rip-off as the good gym I found in the same area (Bole Rock gym) charged 120 Birr per visit or 780 Birr for a month.
- The rooms are ok clean, but not what you'd expect for the expense. My room wasn't vacuumed often and/or well for example.
- Lots of westerners get food poisening in Ethiopia, due to the different food bacteria. But given the price of the restaurants I was disappointed to get it myself on just my second day at the hotel (avoid the mixed seafood pasta at the Italian restaurant!)
- If you like to walk (Addis is relatively safe to do so, I had no problems my entire stay) the location is poor. The entrance/exit is on the 'wrong' side of a massive block, and it's a half-hour walk to get anywhere with shops, etc. If you will be driving / picked up, that's not an issue.

My stay at the Sheraton was my second long stay in Addis, and I would recommend the Hilton over the Sheraton. The Hilton has many more shops, more life/buzz (the Sheraton is super quiet, a bit stuffy at times), and is in a better location.

Room Tip: As other reviewers have noted the rooms on one side of the hotel overlook the 'Office Bar'...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2013

You feel a bit awkward stepping into this 5-star hotel: It just feels so polished as a world-class hotel. The rooms were just as expected, as any part of the world. But you know you are in Africa. Locals told us this hotel has the best Indian food in Addis, and the Italian restaurant is pretty good too. And we couldn't be more happy with these restaurants.

By the weekend, many wedding parties came into the hotel to make use of the beautiful surrounds and ambiance to take memorable photos of their special day. I think there were at least 4-5 different wedding parties on the Saturday. The Coffee Shop was well stocked with tantalizing desserts and the coffee is pretty good too. Seeing these young people celebrating the happy occasions just told us the country is growing in affluence and sophistication. One even came with a white stretch limo- the likes of the ones you see in Las Vegas! WOW!

Room Tip: Not much of a view from the hotel... the hotel is the best looking thing in the area! In other word...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank 19livyah
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The Sheraton Addis is a very well appointed and beautiful hotel but in no way is it worth the USD 450.00 incl taxes which I was charged. The problem is that the Radisson and Hilton in Addis are not up to the mark, Radisson is new and still trying to find its feet and the Hilton is very old and in urgent need of an extensive renovation. This situation has allowed the Sheraton to keep raising its prices, so much so that it is now considerably overpriced. The food at the Sheraton is not of a high standard either, the quality is quite average and the taste is quite pedestrian. The grounds and the pool at the Sheraton are beautiful, rooms well kept and the staff is friendly. Only recommend this hotel if the room price offered is in the range of USD 250 - USD 350.00 incl taxes.

Room Tip: All rooms have a good view. Try to avoid the rooms above the night club since that zone remains nois...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I was expecting a lot more from this property, especially for the price. I had called my Platinum Concierge to confirm the reservation, shuttle pick and to confirm my arrival time a day before my arrival. When I arrived in Addis Ababa, there was no indication of my reservation. I was not attended well upon check in and I didn't see a designated SPG check in counter. I was told no upgrades were available due to the hotel being booked full for a presidential summit. I was also informed of a charge for checking in early and there was much confusion on what happened with my original reservation. It was a rather odd check in experience as I was also told I couldn't use the executive lounge because I was in a standard room since that was the only thing available. No further explanations of Platinum preferred services was explained to me. When I checked into my room I saw a welcome letter from the property but it was addressed to someone else. I've never been as frustrated with a property as I was with this one. I expected better service especially being an SPG member. I was about to cancel my reservation and stay at the nearby Hilton but the Guest Relations Manger did make things better by waiving the early check in fee, giving me access to the executive lounge and ordering a bottle of wine. He was very polite and apologetic over the phone. I decided to give the property a chance because of the phone call from the GM. The hotel property is beautiful and in a very convenient location. The majority of staff are very friendly. The breakfast buffet is not very tasty and could use a major makeover. Overall the food needs some more flavor. The executive lounge is nice and has a good assortment of appetizers. The pool area is also nice but there is no fitness facility. I took a guest for a meeting at the Italian restaurant and enjoyed the meal. The T.V. line is fantastic and very international. The internet is very fast and overall my stay has been okay. The power will go off from time to time but doesn't stay off for more than two minutes.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation directly with the hotel, especially if you are arriving early.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
ReaderAddisAbaba, Management Team at Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 October 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking time to give us your detailed feedback in regards to your recent stay at Sheraton Addis.
We do value all types of feedbacks from our guests and we would like to assure you that we pay attention to all your feedbacks. The experiences you had were distressing that we were not able to meet your basic expectations. We also sent you a private limousine transfer from the airport following your correspondence with our Chief Concierge and it is even more frustrating that the limousine service was not there to pick you on time.
Please accept our deepest apologies for all the unrefined reception you experienced at our hotel. What we strive to provide is an impeccable service to all our guests. We have not evidently lived up to our promises with you and once again, we offer our apologies and promise you that the level of service you received is not what we are renowned for and if you give us another chance we will make it up to you. The moment we received your comments, we have taken briefed the staff in all levels so that similar incidents do not reoccur.

We also hope that this experience will not dissuade you from visiting us again.

Sheraton Addis,