“Exceptional quality and luxury”

Sheraton Addis, a Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed 28 November 2009

I can't think of anything (other than easing security procedures or relocating on a beach) which this hotel could do better. It was my third visit, but first in several years, and there is nothing old or tired about the Sheraton in Addis. The service, from first check in to warm greeting from all staff, is efficient and respectful but not intrusive. The rooms and the facilities look as though they were re-designed yesterday. There are a number of small details that enhance the experience. The rooms are elegant and quiet. And the meals, highlighted by an in-house pastry shop, are delicious.

No question, the place is expensive, and given the poverty of the country, the contrast is jarring. But by African and world standards, the cost is not high, and it is no insult to Africa to stay in its (in my experience) best hotel.

If there is a weakness, it would be that the conference facility is confusingly designed. The restrooms are a long hike from the main meeting rooms and break-out rooms are not easy to find. But if you'd rather go to the pool and spa than the conference, this is the place to do it!

Reviewed 20 November 2009

I stayed at this Sheraton on two separate occasions and both times I had a great stay. The first time I stayed here I was upgraded to a suite for free because they were over booked. The suite was amazing, but I didn’t have much time to enjoy it. The rooms are very nice and comfortable. The outside bar was nice and I always enjoy sitting at the café near the lobby, the service there is a little slow at times. The restaurants are severely overpriced and not wroth eating there. Room service was very quick but limited; they seemed to out of everything that I wanted. I have stayed in several places in Addis that were half the price of the Sheraton. So if it was my dollar being spent I would have stayed else where, but that just me. In all it was a great stay, but luckily it didn’t come out of my pocket.

Reviewed 13 November 2009

This hotel was beautiful, the staff was courteous and knowledgeable. The food was fast and tasty. This was my second trip to Addis Ababa and my first time staying at the Sheraton. The concierge helped me in finding last minute gifts for my family and that was really helpful. I will be staying at this Sheraton in Addis whenever I return. I felt at home and enjoyed my stay.

Reviewed 4 November 2009

Beautiful hotel - happened to get a good view of it as we were circling the city coming into land.

It is the best hotel in Addis without a doubt - I went to the Hilton to pick someone up and it felt like going back in time!

It is expensive - if money is no object, then stay.

Restaurants were really good too.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank TRAXUK
Reviewed 24 October 2009

This hotel is expensive and luxurious (well, not up to Four Seasons standard in my view), yet during my one night stay on 22/10/09 I felt I was staying in a 3 star hotel. Check-in was slow (a good 20 min) although there was no queue. I was in a hurry to have a quick shower to get in time to a meeting, but the rather complicated shower was not working properly and my request for a butler was ignored. After 30 min of my first request someone from reception came to deal with the shower but it was still not working properly: pressure went low at times with a sudden change from cold to hot and v/v, plus the water was still coming from both the bath and the shower outlets. Two colleages staying at the same time at this hotel had the same problem. My room (309) was a normal one and it was very large, with all the facilities of a modern and expensive hotel. The spa is a joke, very small and full of locals who use it as a club. One has to be lucky to find a place in the petite combined sauna/turkish bath. Staff was very attentive and good, always ready to help, apart from the butler service which is a joke here. I had room service and was charge $3 for the luxury of eating in my room. Internet in business centre was not working so had to go to the Hilton Hotel for this. For what they charge the Sheraton Addis is not worth the hasle.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 October 2009

I was traveling to Addis Ababa for business and for the first two times I passed through Addis, I stayed at the Hilton. Having never stayed at Addis, the Hilton seemed to suffice for a one night stay during my business trips. However, I decided to try the Sheraton and I was flabbergasted at superiority of this hotel compared to the Hilton.

Coming through the security gates, I was in awe at the beauty of the architecture and the hotel itself. Checkin is a bit different from other hotels in that there are multiple desks that are arranged near the front and guests that are checking in and checking out have to utilize this type of front desk.

Checkin was a breeze, and all the front desk attendants that I interacted with were very polite and very helpful. I was in for another surprise as I came to my room. The layout of the rooms are superb and very modern. It's nice to have the all in one control right next to the bed so that you can turn on/off lights, call room service, etc. The bathrooms are luxurious as well and I couldn't have been happier with the setup.

The only thing I would comment on is the fact that there is no gym. However, guests are able to utilize a local gym out in the city. Also, I've been told that they will be constructing a gym in the future.

Overall I highly recommend this hotel to any traveller passing through Addis Ababa. There is no doubt that this hotel is the number one hotel in all of Addis Ababa.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 October 2009

One of the best in Africa. Truly confortable and pleasant - great service.

Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business