Friendship International Hotel
Ambassador Hotel(Addis Ababa)
Kenenisa Hotel(Addis Ababa)
Kaleb Hotel(Addis Ababa)
View Hotel
All reviewsclose to the airporttea servicejacuzzi stylefancy showercrystal chandeliersgeneral managerrooms are largeamazing hotelethiopian airlinesrecommend staying herewonderful hospitalityspecial thankshotel is situatedstayed one nightfree shuttlestar hotelroom service
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I had to extend my visit in Addis and was unable to find a reasonable hotel, that was practically the only choice.. The staff was very helpful and friendly at the beginning of the stay, but everything went wrong afterwards, the elevator has a bad smell, the room was fine with ( unbelievably) 2 jacuzzi!! That we're not functioning properly. The bed was a bit hard and uncomfortable, the breakfast did have little choice that suits my taste... I could only stay one night and had to find another hotel, a bit more decent!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank mohamedmanso
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Valued Customer,

We first of all apologize for the inconvenience you have encountered during your one night stay with us. Thank you for your time & constructive feed back. We wish you had mentioned whether you requested for assistance while you found the bed a bit harder & the Jacuzzi not properly functioning. The reason is that we have an extra comforter supply for the mattress as per customers request & 24 hrs stand by maintenance staffs for a possible technical adjustments.Regarding our elevator's sanitation,We'll have a further close follow up for it to smell fresh at any time. The General Manager can also be accessed 24hrs for any issues probably not given due attention by the on duty supervisors. We hope to get another chance to compensate your forgettable experience to an unforgettable one.
With Hospitality regards,

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Two Thumbs up! The hotel has a magnificent sense of arrival, from the gates to the lobby. The reception staff was courteous, friendly and efficient, Cleanliness is apparent everywhere, including the room.
Room amenities are luxurious WiFi coverage is very good, throughout the hotel (it was included in the room). I was really impressed by the chef introducing himself and asked us if we are interested Ethiopian Quanta Ferefer for breakfast and it was delicious. That special personal touch made us feel that they appreciated us coming in.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank samsonwolde
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2014

Dear valued client,
Thank you very much indeed for your precious time & positive feed back. We are happy to know that you liked your stay with us. Hoping to serve you again, we promise to keep our strong links up in order for us to earn more satisfied customers like you. Please be aware that all our staffs will be notified about your compliments.
With warm hospitality regards,

Reviewed 5 January 2014

I stayed at Friendship for 3 nights in December and did not encounter any issues. The room was clean, spacious and modern.The staff could not have been nicer and more accommodating. The location is unbeatable too. For anyone wishing to visit Addis Ababa without renting a car, this hotel is an asset.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Customer,
Happy New Year!!
Thank you very much for spending your precious time to write us the compliment. We really value your comment & shall keep up the good work us mentioned in your note.
We hope to serve you again!

With Hospitality Regards,

Reviewed 3 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here for one night of transit in Addis. They booked us in efficiently; the room was large; nice furniture; comfortable, large king-size bed; jacuzi and shower that worked!; tasty buffet dinner and breakfast included. Carpet in the room was scuzzy and could use a shampooing...or change to tiles! Close to the airport. I would stay here again and would recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear respected guest,

Thank you for the priceless time that you invested to write this favorable comment. We will strive to keep up our strong side while improving observed weak links.

We hope to serve you again!

With hospitality regards,

Reviewed 10 October 2013

I will say that I was surprised as I walked in to the hotel how nice the lobby was! Lots of open space, nice and bright. Check in was fast and friendly and the bell service was great. I got to my room and again, was surprised at how nice it was. The ceilings are high and in my corner room, had tons of window and natural light - all great for a person with jet lag. I sat down on my bed and jarred myself! It was like a rock! Upon inspection, it was only the boxspring, no mattress. Upon seeing other reviews of a comfy bed, I think they split the "sets" of bedding and use a boxspring in some rooms and a mattress in others. If you luck out, then good for you, if not....OUCH! I stayed 7 nights for business and it was really, really hard to sleep. I contemplated sleeping on the floor.

I enjoyed the tea service that they brought to my room as I arrived with a hot water pitcher and some bottled water. What I didn't enjoy was that housekeeping was so inconsistent. Some days I'd get bottled water, other days none. And it never coincided with leaving a tip. I was sick and drank my tea one day and it was never replaced. I also had a leftover cup of coffee that I brought back to my room, only to dump out upstairs, leaving a ring on the inside of the cup. Imagine my surprise when I went the next day to make tea and one of my clean cups on my tea service tray had the same ring inside the cup. Cups and saucers were rinsed in tap water and put back wet on the tray, never cleaned or replaced. I was out of tea for 5 nights in my room and it was never replenished.

I was with two other travelers so I know my experiences were not unique. Wi-Fi is a joke. We selected this hotel because of their claim to have an IT person on staff. This was not the case. Another reviewer mentioned how long the codes are and how hard they are to use. Using the internet here is a long, complicated dance of "logging in" to the hotel server and then logging out and back in over and over trying to get a connection. If you have more than one device, a laptop and a phone or blackberry, you'll have to log out of one before you can log into the other. Codes are only good for 3 days so it gets to be such an annoying dance. One colleague hadn't had internet in his room in days (tough on a business trip 9k miles from home) and kept asking the front desk for help. He was told so many interesting tales that it got to be funny. First, the IT guy was in the building and would be right up to his room to troubleshoot. We waited. We waited and waited. We finally had to leave for a meeting. We came back....IT guy would be right up. No shot. Came down for dinner and were told the IT guy was actually on leave but they called his cell phone - no answer. This went on for days. Finally, we were told he was in fact in the building for sure and had seen him. Waited and waited. No IT guy. Came back down and were told he went to dinner and would be back in an hour. We waited in the lobby for him to return. When we asked again, we were told that he was on vacation and not in the building but they'd call his cell phone. You can see how this went. This was over 6 days. Finally, they offered to move my colleague to a different room but when we came back from the day of meetings, the front desk staff hadn't relayed that to anyone and no one knew what we were talking about.

Wi-Fi was generally on for about 10-15 minutes, at best, then off. Bandwidth fluctuated wildly if it was available.

I didn't have the water problem that most people did in their bathrooms and was pleased except for the space-age shower. You can't turn it on unless you're in the shower which means you'll have a body spray or overhead spray of ice cold water. Water fluctuates from scalding hot to ice cold then back to warm while you're showering. There is a sweet spot to be found where the cold won't get too cold and the hot won't burn you but it takes some work. Unfortunately there was no power (or batteries?) to the remote control in my shower that apparently controls light and sound and music. I couldn't care less about any of it but the light. If you go, you'll understand. Getting in the shower unit is like going into a closet and a light would have been very helpful.

The buffet at lunch and breakfast was a great deal and offered a lot of options. Coffee was always full and servers were helpful if you ordered from the buffet. They were not happy about actually serving you. We often had working lunches and dinners. If we ordered off the menu, it would easily take an hour to get food. The food was inconsistent and unpredictable though generally tasty. I tried to order a different juice for breakfast than the ones they made fresh but was told they didn't have any. I know they do because I had it every afternoon. I often ate their tomato soup. Some times it would be just soup, some times it would get cream added, some times it would have croutons. It was always inconsistent but when all three were present, it was delicious! Service definitely needs to improve both in demeanor and consistency.

I would often go for a glass of wine in the evening. Every time I went it was a different price :-)

I exchanged money at the hotel (US for birr) and the staff did not seem happy about doing it. When I asked why I was getting the rate I did instead of the rate advertised on the board, the front desk person got upset and said they didn't give the rate on the screen for exchanges, that it changes all the time). Being an American, I expected to be given the rate that they published for exchanges but apparently that wasn't the case. Despite the rate on the board, I was given an inconsistent exchange rate each time.

The woman who runs the gift shop is lovely and very helpful though I think prices there are arbitrary as everything I asked about was the same price.

Despite having a new Mastercard sticker (placed while I was sitting there) in the window with their Visa sticker, they do not take Mastercard. Not a big deal, but be sure to ask first if you're traveling with MC.

Overall, the stay exceeded my expectations and I would likely stay there again. A little more consistency would make the place a gem.....and an actual mattress and WiFi would make it heavenly for the price!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have nice light but rooms on the front of the building will get all of the exhaust fumes in when you open the windows, even on the 7th floor. Without A/C, opening the windows is nice so try to get a room NOT on the front side of the building.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank WanderingGypsy314
friendship_int, General Manager at Friendship International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2013

Dear Respected Customer,

We really appreciate your detailed & constructive review towards our services. Please be assured that we have taken all the points you mentioned very seriously and already started a remedial action to immediately address all. We also promise to keep our strong sides consistent through out.
With Hospitality regards,