“Worse Lonely Planet recommendation”
Review of Taitu Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Taitu Hotel
Ranked #71 of 124 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Reviewed 21 October 2013

We went to this hotel since it was the best ranked hotel by Lonely Planet and I don't think we could be more disappointed. We had already been travelling around Ethiopia for two weeks and we had stayed in low budget hotels which were nevertheless clean and worth it. I can say that we were not looking for big luxuries, just a central location and clean.

The Taitu had a central location but that was about it... the room we got (in one of the adjacent buildings) was dirty, had cockroaches, smelt terribly of humidity and the bathroom did not have hot water (as we were told when making the reservation).

When we saw the room we were given (our mistake for not requesting to see it before hand) they told us there was nothing they could do...

Also the service at the restaurant was terrible, we asked for a macchiato and after 30 minutes waiting when we asked again for it they told that the coffee machine was not working that day... which we would have appreciate to know when we placed the order!

Room Tip: Do not take any rooms outside the main building, apparently those are slightly nicer
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Korphe

Reviewed 14 October 2013

We stayed at the Taitu on our last day in Addis when we were catching a 3:30am flight. We basically wanted a hotel that was central, cheap, and well known.

The best things about this hotel are as follows: 1) the reception staff speak very good English and are SUPER helpful 2) They have a lot of perks like places to store valuables, two ATMs, a good restaurant etc 3) The main building is quite lovely and the restaurant is fairly priced 3) The sheets were fresh and clean and the maids brought us fresh towels 4) The beds were very comfortable.

The room we stayed in was a cheap room with a shared bathroom in Annex C. It cost 176 birr (USD 10) and was small, clean, and fresh and came with towels and toilet paper. However, there are two shared bathrooms per floor and they are gross (one long-drop toilet and one toilet without a seat, ew). Staying in an Annex room is like staying in a hostel - if you want something nicer, ask for the main building. We opted for no en suite due to our very short stay.

There are some good and honest tour companies on the premises (one arranged for a guide for the merkato for me since my BF was sick), the outdoor bar area is quite nice, and the central location can't be beat.

I would recommend Taitu as long as you know what to expect - you'll pay for a nicer room, but it appears they are worth it. That being said, if you're comfortable with a grotty bathroom, the backpacker-style rooms are fine too.

BTW I had a very good kitfo there served with gomen (spinach) and eib (cottage cheese).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank peculiah
Reviewed 7 October 2013

This hotel was great!! its a beautiful historic building for a fairly good price. The rooms could definitely use some sprucing up, but the patio bar/restaurant is a great place to chill out. The WIFI could definitely use some work as it only works sometimes. Try the lunch buffet many locals come here for it its super cheap and really authentic food.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Stephengollan
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I stayed one night at taitu hotel mostly because of their airport pickup. I stayed in a single room with a toilet and they charged me 325 bir which i found very expensive since the condition of the room was not that great. Next morning i moved to Bole area where i found a clean 20$ guesthouse which i found very comforting. The real advantage of Taitu is the central location, historical value and price.

Room Tip: I have heard that some rooms are better than the part where i stayed.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank AhmedNorway
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The shared bathroom means, in Taitu, that there are two bathrooms per floor. I was also staying in one of the back buildings. Do not expect/imagine anything... somebody called this plays iconic... it is indeed the oldest hotel in the capital and has its charm altough I got it only after coming back there after four weeks travel around the country.

Room Tip: If possible ask for a room in the main building
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank AleksandraP79
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I will be there in October. I have reservations for a room in the back with shared bathrooms.
My question is when they say shared bathroom, is it just one bathroom for the whole building?
They quoted me $11 to $15 I guess they are going charge me the higher price.

Thanks in advance

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mrpiazza
Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

It's nice to sit in the balcony and think you are standing where the first explorers, businessmen and diplomats in the town used to hang out. The building is beautiful, but worned out. The restaurant is good value and offers a large menu, the terrace nice and the jazz club brilliant, both for the music and the cocktails. I am happy with the choice, but they should put some effort in upgrading the rooms.

• Stayed: September 2013