“Basic rooms; fantastic food.”
Review of Taitu Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Addis Ababa
Taitu Hotel
Ranked #71 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
London, United Kingdom
“Basic rooms; fantastic food.”
Reviewed 19 April 2014

After consulting the Lonely Planet guides for Ethiopia, Djibouti and Somaliland, I settled on Taitu. I was drawn to Taitu for a couple of reasons: I was booking for a group, needed some flexibility, needed a reasonable price, and wanted a reasonably central location.

With Taitu you get some real contrasts. The rooms in the more modern appendages to the hotel are immensely basic. They have shared bathrooms and these bathrooms have toilets without seats and without flushes, and showers that have temperamental taps.

In complete contrast to this is the quality of customer service and the food on offer. The food, ranging from traditional injera dishes to more 'European' dishes, is beautifully presented and full of flavour. Even with my group of twenty people the food was quick in being cooked and served. Added to this was service with a smile at all times.

Furthermore, the receptionists were great when one member of my group nearly got involved in a diplomatic incident. They were able to offer advice and assist in ensuring the issue was resolved in a timely fashion.

Overall, well worth a stay, especially if you're on a budget. Once my group were over the initial shock at the basic nature of the accommodation, they learned to love Taitu and didn't want to leave.

Room Tip: If you're staying in the newer part of the hotel, Room 224 is a good choice. It has a wide woode...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 17 April 2014

I stayed at the Taitu on two occasions during a recent trip. It's a solid choice for the budget traveler who doesn't mind a little (a lot) of wear and tear. Both stays were in the annex immediately behind the main building. I never saw the rooms in the old hotel, but the annex rooms were like concrete bunkers. But they had private bathrooms where the hot water worked, and the bed seemed clean and bug-free. We could hear a mouse scratching around behind the baseboards, but he never popped his head out. I'd suggest not keeping food in your room though. It's worth noting that I was charged quite a bit more when I reserved a room online and arrived late at night from the airport versus when I just showed up and asked for a room ($23USD vs. $16USD). If you have a late flight out, you can arrange a late checkout until around 6pm for an additional half day rate.
The best part of this hotel is the restaurant and patio area. There's a good buffet that attracts locals as well as travelers and ex-pats, and the patio is a good place to have a drink and strike up a conversation. The piazza area is a fun base to explore the city from.

Room Tip: room 113 is a good choice in the annex, although it doesn't have a tub.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Incline Village
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Worse hotel I've slept in anywhere around the world. it was cheap and it wasn't worth it. Worst thing: Waste water from the sink dripped made its way to an opening in the floor. There is NO maintenance in this hotel. They wouldn't (they said couldn't) refund my $80, they did find a way to get me $30. So the cost to move (taxi) was about $80 total - best $80 I ever spent! No matter how low your bar, this hotel could get under it. Were people staying there? Yes. The only reason I can think of: A place to lay their heads when they couldn't afford anything else.

Room Tip: There are no good rooms.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank OldOldTom

Travellers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Texas Gulf Coast, Texas
Reviewed 11 April 2014

I am going to make this short as I believe Midway42's review is excellent and captures the essence of the hotel. I will start by saying the Taitu is not for everyone and the photos of the exterior make it look better that it actually is. It is a bit rundown and some of the rooms in the back are absolute dungeons but if you get one in the main building its better. What I enjoyed about it is its downstairs eating area with some nice old woodwork and paintings and the general ambiance of lunch and dinner with the mixture of expat, tourist and locals. I've been to Addis several times and initially planned not to go back and to experience a more upmarket hotel but was drawn back by this faded old beauty (and its only $55 for the best room in the place!)

Room Tip: Unless you are backpacking and on a tight budget get a room in the main building.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Wayne W
Minnesota
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,434 helpful votes
Reviewed 6 April 2014

I stayed for two nights at the Itegue Taitu Hotel which also coincided with my first two days in the country. My plan was to use it as a base for checking out the city in addition to spending some time in an historic hotel that was easy on the wallet. Check-in was quick and hassle-free, although as I found out the services for Visa were “broken” (a somewhat common occurrence I found out over the next two weeks) and $40 cash each night was the only option.

My room suffered from the usual schizophrenia seen in historic budget hotels: outdated, barely functional equipment in the shell of what could be fantastic living quarters with a decent renovation. In this case, everything actually did work including hot water for the shower but the pressure was quite weak and it took about three minutes of “adjustments” to get the proper temperature. The bed was clean with sleep quality only limited by the outside hustle and bustle.

There is a decent restaurant downstairs that I ate dinner at a couple nights. Prices were respectable with fair service. This does seem to be frequented by ex-pats quite a bit and there was “ethnic” entertainment during my second night. Location for this address is a bit out-of-the-way with the exception of it being a five minute walk to St. George’s church; most other locations that tourists check off their list will require a taxi or tuk-tuk to access.

In summary, this hotel came as advertised: an historic budget hotel with a memorable atmosphere and enjoyable vibe. I wouldn’t strongly recommend it as much as let the reader make up their own mind on whether it suits their taste. I would definitely stay here over the Sheraton (in a heartbeat!) as I think it gives a more authentic experience of the city but as above there are some minor drawbacks.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank midway42
Vienna
Reviewed 1 April 2014

The location is very good, price/value also very good compared to other locations is Addis.
But if you are expecting purity and European standard then it's not your place.
Rooms are great enough, furniture is old, bath with some defects but with warm water.

Highlights:
1. the jazz-soul bar in the main building (ground flour, entrance from the garden)
2. restaurant
3. surroundings (Piazza)

Room Tip: Stay in the main building if possible.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Bruxelles, Belgique
Reviewed 31 March 2014

As often in Ethiopia, running an amazing place seems to justify disdain for clients. We were treated so badly that I feel like rating it 'horrible', but honesty dictates to acknowledge the good sides of Hotel Taitu. Here are the pros and cons of staying there:

Pros
- all taxis know the place
- you feel very safe with the guards at the hotel compound gate
- there is a bank inside the hotel compound where you can change money, and several ATMs
- the hotel restaurant is excellent, both for food quality and quality of service
- the old-fashioned elegance of the hotel main building

Cons
- neither the website nor the receptionist indicates prices before booking: they only inform that they have different prices; upon arrival it was significantly higher than expected (688 birr for a double room)
- the room was spartan and not so clean, certainly not worth the high price
- the reception took a week to reply to my email booking, so I called after two days to make sure we would have a room, asking specifically to disregard my previous email booking; once arrived at the hotel, they implied that we booked twice and made us explain ourselves three times
- receptionists take shifts; we saw them requesting receipts to Japanese tourists who paid another receptionist in good faith, so we asked for receipts; they dragged their feet and gave us angry looks
- when we checked in at the reception, we asked if we could change money here, they said yes and offered a poor rate, without informing us about the bank next to the hotel
- Ethiopians informed that you stay there will assume that you are rich (you often get asked by Ethiopians trying to sell you something)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple