“Rubbish”

Ranked #104 of 118 Hotels in Addis Ababa
Deutschland
“Rubbish”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This hotel is old and not very clean. The rooms are very large. The doors can be locked but this makes no sense because they are like being out of paper. Also the windows cannot be closed. The bathroom is very old and not comfortable. However, the hotel is central. It has a small bar in the cellar which is ok for a drink.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Reviewed 27 June 2010

Very central, just off Maskal Square. Nice size rooms. Tendency to make up the price to suit your face. When I booked people in for tour companies I would always be given (as a Brit) higher price quote than if an Ethiopian colleague went in.
BIG PROBLEM also is the NOISE from St Stephanos church opposite front of hotel. Yes there is a gym at back with loud music but it keeps normal hours. As with most Addis churches the loudspeaker can start playing church music, chanting, preaching at 0500 hours...not just on Sundays. My tourists had 2 opposite reactions -
1. Please move me to another hotel
2. We love it - real Ethiopian church music...

Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Addisadvisor
Edmonton
Reviewed 17 March 2010

I have been stayed at this hotel for 7 times between 2002 - 2009. I usually stayed for 3 - 5 weeks. I am originally from Ethiopia, but living outside of the country for the last 26 years. This hotel is the most convinient, affordable, and very secure for my needs. The hotel was built by a wealthy gentleman, politician from Eritrea in the late Haile Sellassie's era (killed by The Dergue Government among the famous 63 massacre in November 1975). Dejazmatch Haregot Seyoum built this hotel and reserved the entire 7th floor for his living quartres. His personal suite was now Room No 702 and his son Dr Solomon's was 701. These rooms are way better than other single rooms, but for my surprise priced same amount. If you are lucky and available, you may mention about these rooms. They are located on the last floor and you can enjoy really great view of the green scenery around (The famous Ghion Hotel garden, The HIM Haile Sellassie's Palace, The new Africa Avenue Park built by the generous billionnaire Sheik Al Amoudi), Africa Hall, Abiot Adebabay or Meskel Square. The interior of this hotel is spacious, high ceilling, and wide glass windows. Hot water is 24/7. Room and linen cleanliness is more than I expected and I think Housekeeping Ladies deserve tips for their hard work, very friendliness, and assistance. Sorry English is unthinkable even around Reservation corner, eventhough friendly people short of a smile. My best meal there is Mixed Garden Salad (very fresh, organic content and really cheap). Compared with most Addis Ababa hotels, The National is relatively secure and extremely quite place. But, it's government owned now and if there is a need, the special commandos jump to top floor and station themselves to do their security job. This is when some VIPs pass by in front of the hotel on the way to the airport or wherever. since I was on the seventh floor, I met these commandos twice. They usually don't talk to us. The hotel never advised or put notice about the scary stuff to its guests. Who do you think cares about this? Probably it's a day to day experience on the streets of Addis Ababa. If you are lucky to get one of those 2 special rooms I may say on the 7th floor, you will enjoy the very big space roof top balcony. It's breath taking to be there in the evening or so, but make sure the securities at The Palace across won't watch you taking a picture or using a binocularas. This stuff is a big deal in the entire country. There is St Stephen's Church just accross the street and their Gospel Teachigs and The Early Morning Mass is loud speakered and it's very loud to hear it in the hotel's rooms. Well, it's the church's tradition to be heard by everybody.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Yagerlij
Johannesburg
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I stayed at the hotel for 5 days during a business trip in Feb 2010. The room was very clean and well kept, the bed was made with clean linen every day and there was hot water to shower with. As far as African hotels go, I'm sure this one is pretty decent. Language is a problem, as most of the hotel staff only speak very basic English. The food at the hotel isn't great, but it wouldn't kill you. They serve awesome orange juice and coffee with breakfast, and I could recommend the corn flakes for breakfast, as the milk in Ethiopia tastes great.

If you book a room, try to get one near the front of the hotel, as there is a gym downstairs at the back of the hotel that plays something similar to 80's techno music at 5 in the morning. Other than that, the hotel was pretty quiet. The rooms are HUGE.

I could recommend the hotel, and I will be staying there again during my visit in May 2010.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank mightystassen
Nairobi
Reviewed 22 July 2009

I stayed at the National Hotel for a total of 04 nights in October 2008. I must say the hotel was not a bad choice as the rooms were very clean and service was excellent. Although we did have a little bit of a communication problem with the staff as some of them hardly spoke any english at all. Breakfast was always served in my room but it was cold on most ocassions. They had staff on duty 24 hours a day which was quiete good as we could get anything we wanted in our room. Our rooms were very nice and clean and spacious we had a TV and a balcony with a nice view, there was alot of greenery and we could see the highway at a short distance - i loved that especially during the night when we would just want to relax, the large glass slide door was also well covered with a curtain. I think the rooms on the balcony side are much more colder - we were on the 4th floor and they do provide extra blankets if needed. The bathroom was nice and clean with hot water running always. We never really got a chance of eating at the restaurant as we were out most of the time. But did have a few drinks. The waiters hardly give one any privacy as they are always standing and hoovering around making it feel about crowded although i think they just hang around incase we needed anything. There was a beautiful small flosrist shop right outside the hotel which had lovely flowers for sale. And the church opposite was really amazing too. We loved the location as it was easy moving around and getting a minivan (public minivan) was also easy as it would drop us off right next to the hotel.

A few turn off's were - there were some gift shops at the hotel near the lobby and these were closed most of the time we were there which was alittle bit disappointing and the receiptionists were not the very best as far as customer care is concerned, the cashier collecting the money for out staymade several errors and if you are not careful on re-checking your bills you may end up parting with more than the correct amount.

In general i would recommend it and would definately stay there if i went back. National Hotel was luxury compared to the Plaza hotel in terms of rooms and service.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled with friends
2 Thank yolanda01
Islamabad
Reviewed 10 June 2008

I stayed here in June 2006 and found this hotel very very comfortable and atmosphere was excellent . As it was my first every visit to Ethiopia i found it Tremendous.It was very lovely .
Muhammad Bilal Jadoon
Islamabad Pakistan

Stayed June 2006
1 Thank bilaljadoon
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 January 2006

Overall , my stay was pretty good. The staff were very friendly. Although, at meal times in the dining room i had the feeling of them hoovering over me while i was eating, which made me a bit uncomfortable. Rooms were spacious and very nice and safe. But do make sure your room is not near the back as there is an aerobic exercising class that will surely wake you every morning at 7 am.with the loud music. I ended up sleeping on the couch in the main room and closing the bedroom door. Lots of restaurants near the hotel. Make sure you are specific about the price. when I got there I was given a price a little more then what I got in making my reservation. T.V. in my room only had one channel. It was supposed the movie channel and others specified in the guest book in the room. The manager didn't seem worry too much about satisfying his guests in that manner. Anyhow, over all , nice and clean and safe.

• Stayed January 2006