“Staff and breakfast”

Beer Garden Inn
Ranked #59 of 215 Addis Ababa B&B and Inns
“Staff and breakfast”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 September 2012

The hotel was nice and staff was help one and breakfast good.
This was also restaurant beer garden, where one have lunch and dinner
and friends for beer.
The room had nice and the view was good. The location was easy to work
and shops.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
sf bay area
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

We decided to stay at the BGI because of their website claim of having 2 king beds in the room (which we called the hotel to confirm, and they assured us that they did indeed have this room type). When we arrived (2 adults + a child) we were shown to a room with 1 full sized bed. I went back to the lobby and explained that we had reserved a room with 2 king beds and I was given the key to another room...which had 2 twin sized beds. I took my computer to the lobby and showed them the page that stated they had 2 king sized beds indicating that this was the room we wanted. They apologized and said that it was a mistake and they didn't have this type of room.

They offered us a connecting room, which we reluctantly took, mainly because we were exhausted from travel, but also because they had a nice playground area in front of the hotel where my daughter could play.

The room itself was adequate, but noting to write home about. The beds were uncomfortable though the sheets were nice and soft. The bathrooms were tiny and the towels very worn.

When I took my daughter out to the playground I was stopped by the security guard and told that it was "forbidden" to play there. I asked why and he said that it was not yet complete (which was BS - it was totally complete). I went back inside and asked the receptionist why we couldn't play there and she said it was not allowed, but couldn't give me a reason. They wouldn't even let us walk along the gravel pathway alongside the playground, but instead made us walk through the mud driveway (in the rainy season).

Also, when we checked out and tried to pay with Visa they said that it was not working and that we'd have to pay with cash - in US dollars. Since we didn't have enough cash, they wanted me to go to a bank and take a cash advance on my credit card. All the while displaying a giant VISA sign on their reception desk. Ridiculous.

We definitely would not stay here again, nor would we recommend it to anyone that we know.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pacificatravelers

Travellers are raving about these Addis Ababa hotels

Addis Ababa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The rooms aren't exactly illustrious but they aren't too small. The bathrooms was clean. The staff at reception were friendly and helpful, as were the porter service staff. There is a small business centre with computers and internet. The restaurant is ok. The food is nothing special (pasta and steaks mainly) but the coffee is good. The location is good, in Bole, just down from Edna Mall/Bole Medhanealem. Watch out for pick pockets near the roundabout, it's a well-know place to get robbed by the street kids here! There is a cupcake shop and small mall across the road, the Apple/iPhone shop is also a bit further down. There is a green area out the front of the hotel with a small children's playground. There's a bit of construction going on around the area (as there seems to be everywhere in Addis!) but it wasn't as noisy as I expected it to be.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aababa
addis ababa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2012

I stayed here many times during 2009 and 2010 for work. Compared with all the other business hotels in Addis, this is very good value, clean, friendly staff. The showers were sometimes not extremely hot but the staff always came to fix it when I had a problem. The breakfast was very good for Addis standards. And the conference room is also good value and very nice.
The only issue we had for our company was the name of the hotel. I used to use it for every training and conference until our director decided that the name of the hotel was not suitable for high level meetings.
Overall, my favourite hotel in Addis. The pickup service from the airport was always reliable. The restaurant at the beer garden has really nice food. Location is good, near the cinemas, shops, and many restaurants.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank tskada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2012

I had a little help findind this hotel, Beer Garden is a very nice hotel enjoyed the stay very much no problem at all, wonderful service and helpful, very friendly.

Room Tip: rooms are nice and quiet, with baconey, weather was very good, no a/c in room, no microwave in rooms...
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Santiago, Chile
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2011

If you cannot afford Sheraton, Hilton or Intercontinental Hotel, then this hotel is something for you. it is quite close to the airport, it has a nice green area in front of the hotel. The hotel room itself is basic but ok. I paid 112 euro for 2 nights, which is not bad for the value you get. the wireless internet in the room works nicely and is free. the breakfast is not recommendable. We usually take breakfast in the Hilton hotel. It is 20 € but worth every penny! There is a nice cosy German bar next door. yI had some french fries and I didn't really like it too much.
Apparently it is quite normal in ethiopia, but I do have to mention that I found a small cockroach in the shower two nights in a row. not that big a deal either.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ThomasDSandraB
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2010

We use the Beer Garden Inn for our International staff who are visiting or transiting to our field locations.
We also use the resteraunt for business meals.
Excellent clean rooms and good service-who could ask for more.
I have also reccomended the Beer Garden to friends coming to Ethiopia for touristic visits.

Allan AOE