“It's gone down a long way”
Review of Highgate Hotel

Highgate Hotel
Ranked #59 of 93 Hotels in Accra
Shropshire, England
“It's gone down a long way”
Reviewed 26 October 2010

In August 2009 I wrote a very complimentary review of this hotel, saying "If you're in Accra on business, stay here." I can't say that any more. The manager from that time appears to have gone and with him has gone the constant checking on service levels. Now, service is very poor. If you want to eat outside, you're ignored until you demand attention. Dinner is still good, if you like grouper (which I do), but breakfast is now terrible. I have to change my review to: Whatever you're in Accra for, don't stay here.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank Bagster

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Small hotel, very friendly, slightly out of town, but nice. No elevator – and I was on the top (4th floor) – so I trolled up and down the stairs – but kept me in shape as I think Ghanaian food (while delicious) is very fattening. Nice small area outside to work in if needed.
As the hotel was fully booked for my small conference – they had run out of rooms and I ended up in the Presidential Suite. This was the biggest room I have ever stayed in with a bathroom the size of most hotel rooms, massive comfy bed, power shower and enormous bath, double fridge/freezer, desk with wired internet connection, vast L shaped sofa with a flat screen TV, and a huge balcony overlooking Accra. Wired internet connection only - wireless not working on 4th floor.
The staff were all very friendly, and they would always try to help, but some skills were missing – e.g. when I checked out I wanted to pay in US$, cedi and the balance on my credit card - they don't take Mastercard - only Visa. This took the lady about 15 minutes - and as she was still struggling I ended up doing the calculation. She was good humoured throughout and we both laughed about it. Other oddities of service - on arrival I asked where the bank was – she said just around the corner but was a bit vague about where and how to get there (it turned out to be literally around two corners). But I cannot fault their general kindness and willingess to assist in some way - even if the outcome is not as expected.
Restaurant in the hotel did very nice food at night (local and international) – and it was reasonably priced, breakfast however was a little bizarre. They did the standard cornflakes and toast, sausages and bacon, but supplemented this with pasta, rice pudding, corned beef omelette, and leftovers from last nights dinner. Coffee is nescafe and there is no decaff - if you need it take your own. Also if you are a Brit - take your own teabags theirs are very weak.
I would definitely stay there again when I am in Ghana and I will recommend to friends and colleagues, it is charming and friendly if a little random in service delivery. I would not stay there if you expect instant service and every wish met.
Villa Garden (I think) is around the corner and another corner - about 10 mins walk away, nice Ghanaian food. Osu can be reached for 4 cedi if you are determined to haggle.
Woodin is a good shop on oxford st if you want no haggle, no hassle higher priced and nicely made stuff - i.e. a tourist shop. Lower quality but far more fund stuff found at the Arts Centre.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 June 2010

Small hotel, very friendly, slightly out of town, but nice. No elevator – and I was on the top (4th floor) – so I trolled up and down the stairs – but kept me in shape as I think Ghanaian food (while delicious) is very fattening. As the hotel was fully booked for my small conference – they had run out of rooms and I ended up in the Presidential Suite. This was the biggest room I have ever stayed in with a bathroom the size of most hotel rooms, massive comfy bed, power shower and enormous bath, double fridge/freezer, desk with wired internet connection, vast L shaped sofa with a flat screen TV, and a huge balcony overlooking Accra. Wonderful...but when it rained water flooded under the door. As the room was so huge I just avoided this small bit of the room. The a/c only seemed to work at night and only on 18C. Other rooms were standard hotel size with standard features – and it seems more functional a/c! They did a funny thing with the beds where a fluffy blanket would be put at the bottom of the bed for your feet? Very nice, but unusual. Also only happened 2 nights of my stay there – somewhat randomly. Same with bathroom towels which varied on a daily basis from 2 to 7 for me alone.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
san francisco
Reviewed 9 May 2010

Stayed at the Highgate for a night after arriving in Accra (we were headed to Kumasi for work the next day). I booked based on proximity to the airport and other travelers' recommendations. All in all, I'd say it was okay - I gather that hotels in Accra are quite expensive for what you get, so I wasn't surprised, but it didn't exceed my expectations.
We paid $150 and $180 for our rooms (I traveled with a colleague). Rooms were spacious and had very large flat screen tvs. The bathrooms weren't in great shape. I had to relocate because of a pretty significant leak in my bathroom, lights didn't work, there was no plug for a hair dryer in the bathroom. None of this was a crisis by any stretch of the imagination, but it was a bit annoying given the price.
The restaurant and bar were okay. They don't clean the tables between diners, which I would have expected at this sort of a place.
On the plus side, there's a room with internet access and the desk staff were pretty helpful (though they couldn't arrange for someone to drive us to Kumasi, we had to call another hotel to get hooked up with someone).
If I were to go back, I'd probably spend a few more dollars and go to one of the other business hotels, or find something less expensive and accept the shortcomings as part of the "budget travel" price point.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank sf62p
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 3 April 2010

Researched a lot of hotels before our trip and decided on Highgate Hotel. Great choice. It is a little bit away from the thick of things which isn't a bad thing. Osu is a 10 Cedi ride away. Our room is huge by most standards especially for $165 a night. Rooms are clean. There is some mildew around the rim in the bathroom but not a big deal. Bed is comfy, TV huge, A/C in working order and a large refrigerator which has drinks in it for the same price that you can get in the restaurant. Not an elevated price because it's in the room. WiFi works well and is not slow at all. There are drivers to take you around town for about $30 for four hours (ask for Frank) or you can catch a cab by asking the staff. And the staff will tell the cab driver they are out of their mind if they quote you a ridiculous price. There are, of course electrical outlets in the room but only one of them worked.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Bonn, Germany
Reviewed 2 April 2010

Small, but great hotel for a very good price. No pool - no gym, but nice rooms, a great and stylish restaurant with lounge corner, nice place to sit outside, very good service, a working wireless internet.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MarWaGe
Western Australia
Reviewed 21 March 2010

I stayed at Highgate Hotel for 10 nights whilst doing business in Accra in mid-late January 2010 and can say that this is has been a very comfortable and relaxing stay.

I only booked a single room and was upgraded into the Presidential Suite with it's own large living area and balcony - still not sure why but was very pleased of course. The internet connection is wired and very reliable & fast although a cable was cut and all of Ghana went out for about 24 hours but can't blame the hotel for that. The single room that I did see (briefly) looked comfortable but was prob only 3 star quality.

The location of the hotel is good and bad. Good if business is in Cantonements and Osu but a 7 cedi trip to East Legon and Airport Residential areas. Just boils down to where you want to go really but I did spend alot of time in taxis over the 10 days but in Ghanaiain Cedi's - it's really not that much. Also value for money is good - good hotels are expensive in Accra so this was reasonably priced for the quality.

Overall - very comfortable, very friendly staff, a pharmacy about 80m away (but everythig else is a taxi drive), ok breakfast inc in rate but by far the highlight was the Club Sandwich - amazingly it easily equals the best I've had anywhere round the world and highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business