“Too expensive bad service low quality no value for money”

Holiday Inn Accra Airport
Ranked #13 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Too expensive bad service low quality no value for money”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Holiday Inn uses conveniently the lack of alternatives to ramp up the prices. For 280$ you will get a run down damp room with a faulty aircon and frequent powercuts. Breakfast is average at night the bar is filled with hookers.

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Ets10
, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, 3 July 2012
Dear Ets10,

Thank you for writing a review about our hotel. It is regrettable you were not satisfied with your room accommodations as well as the breakfast you had during your stay. We all hope that you give us a chance in the future to make your stay as best as it can be.

Thank you again for your comments.

Karen C
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, UK
Reviewed 11 May 2012

The location of this hotel is perfect if you are after something near the airport. The lobby was spacious and modern with many interesting comtemporary art works. The check in process was efficient and the staff was friendly and courteous.

The room itself was nice enough with the usual mod-cons. There were tea / coffee making facilities and a mini-fridge. There were also 2 small complimentary bottles of drinking water which came in very handy. The bathroom was clean and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and I had a very good night sleep. There was also complimentary wifi.

The buffet breakfast had a decent spread with some local items as well (e.g. fried plantain, gizzard and chicken stew). The serving staff was helpful and efficient. We also had lunch at the pool-side restaurant. The experience was very negative. The service was way too slow (took them 1 hour 10 minutes to prepare a club sandwich). When I enquired after 40 minute wait, I was told that it was coming. It clearly was not coming anytime soon. I then apporached the manager after another 15 minutes, he then went into the kitchen and the food came within minutes. It was a real shame as the food was actually rather nice but still not worth the long wait.

I would certainly stay here again for the convenient location if I was in Accra again. A very positive experience overall.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DrET
Brentwood,UK
Reviewed 9 May 2012

Staying for business. Location right by airport which is ok for business but would not book holiday here, go for a beach hotel if you want a vacation. Rooms clean, WiFi free and works as does air con although my room smelt a bit musty. Restaurant food is fine for this region and pool bar food and drinks nice. Staff very attentive. Seems expensive at $350 a night advertised price. Conference rooms fit for purpose.

• Stayed May 2012
Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Stayed here twice, two weekends running, reception at airport after a long haul flight definitely appreciated as it meant a relatively pain-free arrival into Ghana as I was whisked off to a comfortable aircon club-style lounge as soon as I departed the Immigration area. Wasn't offered a cool drink though, and nothing available for sale which I found a bit odd. Reception at hotel itself 2mins drive away was friendly and efficient, and I was given a large room on a high floor. Room was large and comfortable, everything worked OK.

And then the guy next door came home.........and I realised the interconnecting door was doing ZERO in noise abatement between the rooms as he was having a (very loud) conversation on the phone and I could hear every single word very clearly over the TV programme I was watching. As this was late at night I waited a while for it to stop, which it did eventually, but then I started hearing everything else going on in the room, and I mean everything!! Turning over in bed, etc etc, you get the picture. Too much information from where I was sitting.

Rang Reception, explained the situation, and they quite happily transferred me to another smaller room without interconnecting door after someone came up to the room and listened for a coupla minutes to the noise level. I happily went off to sleep in my comfy bed in my new quiet room. Yes moving was irritating, but it was managed very nicely by the staff.

Service in the restaurant and bar was underwhelming during both stays, took literally one hour to get a menu in the bar, let alone a drink! Breakfast was packed with American military types, bit odd, felt like I was on an army base not in a hotel. So if you need to eat there, allow plenty of time, food was average, nothing to rave about.

I have been using Golden Tulip for my transit business stays, but will now stay here purely for ease of access to/from airport.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not have interconnecting doors
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
Dear DameDuFerAustralie,

Thank you for your recent stays with us and leaving feedback. We are pleased you liked the convenient location of our hotel as well as your room accommodations. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We're sorry for any inconvenience the noise from the other guest caused you. We hope that you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Jaime W
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2012

We are a hard working team of doctors needing somewhere comfortable and efficient to stay and Holiday Inn delivered. We have stayed in Accra before, and this was the best hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank TLCUK_12
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

With all my travel experience here are some points that are to me a disadvantage
- music too loud at the pool and everywhere in the hotel, no place to rest or nap ( hardly can discuss with colleagues outside )
- rooms are clean but towels have an old grey color and some show old spots, inconsistency in cleaning depending on who cleans your room,
- food ... Buffet was terrible , a la carte my order did not match so did my colleagues order as well
- equipment at the pool ... Old and poor only 2 umbrellas for 10 chairs around the pool ( you better get sun cream or avoid pool)
- very expensive for all they offer
- walking distance from airport

Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Julia S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear Julia S,

Ben J
IHG Care

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Hollywood, CA
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Stayed here on three different occasions
The price they charge per night does not match the quality of the rooms.. The rooms needs to be upgraded..
The lobby is crowded most of the time. Looks like a hang out place to me (not a good thing)

Room Tip: It is a good place to stay though !
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank F N
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this review, 14 August 2012
Dear F N,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our property. I'm sorry you were not satisfied with cost of your room. Prices do vary depending on the market. I also sorry for the room accommodations and the unusual situation of our hotel lobby that did not live up to your expectations. I assure you that our hotel is very proud of its level of service, cleanliness and quality of its product. Your feedback is very important to us as this assists us in continually improving the services and facilities we have to offer to our guests. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again should your travels bring you back to Accra, Ghana.

Anthony M