“Nice Airport Hotel -- Could be better”

Holiday Inn Accra Airport
Ranked #10 of 90 Hotels in Accra
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Recently stayed at the Holiday Inn Accra Airport. The hotel was clean, elegantly decked out but the internet access needs some real help. For being a business hotel and costing upwards of 1000 Cedis / Night (US $250-300) it has horrible and unreliable internet access. I had better connectivity in guest houses than this hotel during my trip. Another point is that being a vegetarian I usually have limited choices and the hotel was no exception. Though I must mention that the pizza was surprisingly good.

All in all an average place for the business traveler, albeit extremely expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for executive rooms if you can get those, more spacious and quieter. Preferably looking at the a...
2  Thank Abhishek S
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2014

Dear Abhishek S,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your comments regarding our property during your recent stay. I am glad to know that you found our hotel clean. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the Internet connection may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.
you
Best Regards,

John O

Reviewed 2 June 2014 via mobile

I have recently stayed here on 2 occasions in the last month, working offshore in Ghana waters.

The staff were very friendly and accommodating for all our needs. Food was good and given in a reasonable time.

Located next to the airport it is very convenient and the hotel runs a bus straight to the terminal entrance.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Ok, so Im not quite sure how to feel about this hotel. I guess depending on what you like, it either really sucks or its really awesome. Personally I liked this hotel but I could see why some wouldnt like it. I'll start with the good points first. Its very close to the airport, which is convenient. I found the staff to be very friendly and accomodating. From the receptionists to the waiters to the bar staff, I only had positive experiences with everyone. The food was also very good. The less adventurous will not enjoy it, but food is part of the travel experience. I had the chicken gizzards, which were very spicy but very good. The breakfast was good as well. I tried some sausages and other things. I know your supposed to be careful with water and different foods, so I would say I was half adventurous with the breakfast foods. I also ate boiled eggs, sealed yogurts and pastries. The staff also provided a car and driver to take me to the market to shop for souvenirs. The driver was very friendly and took good car of us. The pool area of the hotel was very nice and had a good live band the evening I was there. Now for the not so great stuff. My room, while clean and comfortable, did have a slight mildew/ damp smell that I've read about in other reviews. I didnt think it was that bad, but others might. I hung out at the bar/ lounge with my friends late at night and we noticed that there were several very um, friendly ladies down there. The hotel staff seemed to be ok with them um, being friendly and hanging out there. My friends and I didnt mind them and ignored them, but many of the male patrons seemed to um, enjoy their company. If you dont mind them, then its not a big deal, if they bother you, just stay out of the lounge and youll be ok. All in all, not a bad hotel and I would be ok staying here again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Hotels2ndhome ,

Thank you for taking the time to write a detailed review about our property. We’re glad to read about your overall experience and it’s nice to know that our location and amenities were suitable for your needs. Thank you for the kind words and praise intended for our hotel staff.

Your concerns regarding the room conditions and bar area have been taken note of. I am confident that our hotel will take the necessary actions to ensure that any inconvenience can be avoided for you and future guests. Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in our establishment.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

I have stayed in the Holiday only once or twice, but since I am living in Accra, I bring a lot of my colleagues from overseas there. Why? Because the location at the Airport is great, the Airport pickup Lounge is a great idea and compared to other business hotels, it is not too expensive. I also like the food they are doing quite a lot, especially down at the Pool Bar. But do not expect too much: especially the rooms are very simple and not really made to stay. Very run down, very cheap furniture. There is also a bit of a smell (humidity?) that I and many of my colleagues have noticed.
Service is not good at all, it is very difficult to get one of the many waiters to pay attention to you when you want something. I had some good experience with reservation making and check-out though.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Chris M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate the room layout prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J

Reviewed 13 May 2014

You just left my wife stranded. She had a confirmed booking which you could not honour due to "unforseen" circumstances. You sent her to another hotel and they gave her a key to an occupied room. You have compromised her safety and as a single women travelling on business in Accra, this is unacceptable.

2  Thank TEAMBKR
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2014

Dear Abandamishugoyim,

Thank you for taking time to post a review about our hotel. I am sorry for any inconvenience your wife may have experienced. We take comments such as these very seriously and would like to follow up with you. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your concern.

I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Faith R

Reviewed 13 May 2014

For the first time I am writing a review of a hotel not having stayed there! I travel to Africa regularly on business, and the service received today was terrible. Reservation was made a month in advance, I arrived at the hotel to be told that as they had decided to let a large group stay an extra night, I (and many others) had nowhere to stay. As if this wasn't unprofessional enough, the duty manager had made no plans for us, so we stood around in the lobby whilst they decided what to do, as if prebooked hotel guests turning up to stay would be a big surprise. No refreshments offered after a long flight from Europe. Do yourself a favour, there are many other hotels in Accra who would welcome your business, please stay in one of them.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Gary W
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Accra Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2014

Dear Gary W,

Thank you for taking time to post a review of our property. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience the check in issues might have caused you and we will address this concern. Meanwhile I have sent you a private message asking for additional details.

While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make it right.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

John O
IHGCase

Reviewed 13 May 2014

This was my third stay at the Holiday Inn. Two stays last July August (2013) of about 2 weeks each and this time 3 nights in May 2014. No drop in standards which is good sign. The main strengths of the hotel are its proximity to the airport - 2-3 minutes away; the consistent standards of the IHG / HI brand; the renown warmth friendliness of Ghanaian staff - particularly those working by the poolside restaurant. (That's a good place to eat if you like sea food). On the flip side be prepared to spend 30-40 minutes getting into town on a working day, given Accra's increasingly gird locked streets. And in the evenings - not much around the hotel. There's a mall 2 minutes walk away but that's about it. They gym is quite basic and the spa not great either - don't be fooled by the posters advising the spa in the lift.