“A really nice place to stay” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Crystalline Hostel

Crystalline Hostel
Ranked #17 of 179 Speciality Lodging in Accra
Berlin, Germany
“A really nice place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2014

I came to Crystal Hostel in November 2013 to stay for a week or two during my research trip to Ghana. I stayed until the end of March 2014! The Crystal Hostel is a unique and perfect mixture between a hostel with good standards and a home stay with a family. It´s really the best value for that little money you can find in Accra.

The rooms are good Ghanaian standard, clean and spacious. You can use the kitchen in the yard or order meals for little money. And there´s a nice garden and a big, shady, breezy roof top terrace on top of the guest house to relax and hang arround with other guests (don´t miss it!). But what makes the Crystal Hostel so special are the helpful and friendly owners, Uncle and Auntie. They really made me feel "home away from home" there. Also Nana, the neighboor living next door, a musician and all-round talent, is helpful and friendly, and you can really trust him.

I have to mention a few things, because I red some complaints in other posts: You really can ask the hosts and staff for any help at any time. But, of course, you have to aks or tell them what you need. This is not a hotel but a budget hostel, and a really well kept one. The staff will clean your room and change bedsheets as often as you wish, but again, you have to tell them and leave the key with them. And, of course, if there´s a power cut (light off) in the whole area, you can´t expect light produced by a generator like in an expensive hotel. And, as you surely know, the normal Ghanaian standard is cold water, and you are lucky if it is running day and night most of the time, like in the Crystal. So if you need warm water, if you need electric power anytime anywhere, and if you need chamber maids changing your bedsheeds every day and highspeed internet for survival, then, may be, you should choose a room in a downtown hotel at least four times as expensive as the Crystal Hostel.

But if you want to experience Ghanaian hospitality and an authentic Accra flair in a safe surrounding you will love the Crystal like I did.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Families
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Seoul, South Korea
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2014

I was highly recommended of this place through the lonely planet and some other reviews here. Though I knew the place was out of the centre, I decided to stay here for supposed hospitality, helpfulness of staffs, and wi-fi connection that was promised. But boy was I let down.

To start, no one came to pick me up at the airport, though they sent me a confirmation email that someone will be there for me. I wanted a single room, and they gave me this room right next to the kitchen. I was surprised to see how unclean the room was. full of dusts on showers, toilets, desks and so on. I do think their dorm rooms must have been nicer, since these type of joints usually have better maintained dorm rooms due to backpackers mostly using it rather than single rooms. But if you plan to use a single room, I'd like to tell you not to do it. Especially not at the room I stayed at, which is right next to the kitchen. They don't seem to sleep early, and they get many visitors up 'til 11pm so the doors keep on opening and closing with banging sound.. and you hear a lot of chat from outside. If you're a party person, maybe you'll like it. But if you want little bit of privacy and calmness, it's not it.

The internet also was a trouble. They insisted the internet was only for checking emails, and though I didn't like it I understood. The thing was that the connection didn't stay on for long. During the day or morning I didn't get any connection, and it was only after about 8pm that the internet came back on. Both days it came back on around same time, so I'm assuming they cut it off intentionally during day times. But when I asked they just said there was a problem with internet and that was all.

Finally the staffs. Auntie and the owner.. they were nice persons. They were hospitable, that is for sure. But helpful? I don't think so. Auntie really didn't provide much information that I really needed to know. First day she said she's not cooking dinner so I should go out and eat, saying that there are PLENTY of places to eat just short walks outside. Turned out, there weren't really many at all. I worked both sides of the streets for an hour, and yes I did see a couple of places where they sell foods, but it wasn't like you had many choices. And for the record, I'm not picky. I've traveled 10+ African countries and I know what to expect. Also, when asked about where to get mosquito repellent, she again gave vague answers.. like you just go out and they're everywhere in pharmacies. I found few pharmacies but most of them didn't have repellent. After about an hour of digging and searching, I finally could find one. So basically the orientation, and essential information that I needed to know.. it wasn't there at all. I had to figure it all out myself. I asked about doing a tour of the city and though I asked before I arrived by email and they answered that they can arrange anything.. Auntie gave me this puzzled look when I inquired about doing 'tours'. She introduced me to a guy next door named Nana, and he was a good guy and showed me around the city and all.. but he was no guide and there really was nothing else.

So in the end.. I mean if the price suits you then maybe. And again maybe dorm rooms have better cleanness, and maybe the staffs were just busy with other things that they couldn't care much for me only, when other guests were all being treated nicely and getting all the informations they needed. I stress that this is my personal experience only. But if I have to stay somewhere when I go back to Accra, this hostel won't be it.

Room Tip: Never the single room right next to the kitchen. Avoid it at all cost.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2014

Great place to stay in Accra. I emailed before my trip and recieved a speedy response (I needed the email for my visa). I camped in the gardens, under a large shady mango tree - I ate my body weight in mangos (with permission) during my stay. The place is clean and well maintained, largely due to Aunty's keen eye and efficiency. There is a basic kitchen for guests to use, as well as a seating area downstairs and a rooftop spot with tables. I found a good mix of long term visitors, and those passing through.

Great place to stay, safe and secure and highly recommend it.

Room Tip: I camped - very reasonable price with a bathroom for campers to use.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank k2102
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

I stayed here for almost a month in December 2013 and January 2014. I highly recommend the hostel. Indeed, while I was there, everyone said that they enjoyed staying there. It’s run by Aunty and Uncle, who are very hospitable, helpful, and friendly. Aunty will cook for you on request.

The hostel is small and very peaceful, and four mango trees provide cooling shade. They provide a calming effect on the hostel. There is a large roof terrace where there is always a cooling breeze blowing. You can plug in your laptop and go online there. It’s a very pleasant place to sit at any time of day.

As is typical of Accra, the local area comes alive with music in the evening, but it doesn’t disturb one’s sleep.

Public minibuses close by will get you into town within 30 minutes. Uncle will collect you from the airport, if you would like him to do so.

The hostel is in a residential area, and very close by there are food shops, a small supermarket, shops selling general items, and people selling fruit, fried yams, water, etc. The hostel sells bottles of water, soft drinks, and beer.

There are 2 dogs, which love to be given love and attention. They also make sure that the place is safe.

The single rooms are very good value (35 cedis) and the shared rooms (5 beds) are 20 cedis. You won’t find better value in Accra because this price includes using the hostel’s internet free of charge (for emailing only) and the use of the kitchen.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor have a terrace of their own.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank BukBik
Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

couldn't have asked for a better experience..stayed here for 3 months and was treated as part of the family by the end of my time there. The rooms are great, running water, comfortable rooms and great facilities. The owner will cook delicious meals at request and there is also a great little community around the hostel. Rates are more than reasonable especially for negotiating long-term stays. There is also a tro-tro station nearby making most places in the city fairly accessible.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Jordan S
Kathmandu
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed there for a month. It was a lovely experience - helpful 'uncle' and 'auntie', the owners. They send a taxi to pick me up from the airport. The hostel was reasonably priced. There were a couple of cheap eatery places nearby.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Firante M
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

We stayed here one night when first arriving to Accra. The hostel apparently has a hotel shuttle, which may be beneficial if arriving on a late night flight. Luckily, we arrived in the afternoon and a Ghanaian friend took us to the hostel. Taxis do not know this part of town, and you may have difficulty finding it...The location is non-central and inconvenient.

Auntie will cook for you (if you notify her in advance, since she needs to go out and get supplies). There are very few restaurants in this area, besides some chop bars on the side of the road. Takes some investigation to find anything, although there are some "supermarkets" in the area (be aware, this is by Ghanaian standards, but stocks drinks and biscuits, TP, etc). She does cook a good breakfast (omelet, bread, coffee or milo or tea) for 7 Cedis.

The room is average (even by Ghanaian standards) and overlooking the community in Accra. Ghanaians are generally noisy, and this hostel is no exception. The hostel itself, however, seems safe and semi-quiet compared to other areas in Accra. Easy to hang a mosquito net in the room. We did have running water and excellent water pressure while there (esp. for Ghana!)

The biggest issue is that the hostel has been having electricity problems. There are many electric problems and lights out in Accra, but this hostel (in particular) has been having problems according to even Ghanaians in the area. The hostel next door had electricity (as did the surrounding compounds) while this hostel did not. This made for an extremely hot night with no fan.

The best place to cool down is the 3rd floor, which provides quite a breeze and a good view of Accra.

Overall, I would only recommend this hostel for a short stay or overnight stay. If the shuttle service is reliable (which I don't know if it is), it could be a safer option. Otherwise, the location is inconvenient enough that you must walk a long distance or take dropping taxis...unless you are familiar with Accra.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple