“Not so good for the price”

Alisa Hotels North Ridge
Ranked #8 of 93 Hotels in Accra
Lagos, Nigeria
“Not so good for the price”
Reviewed 7 December 2013

So my first time in Ghana and was booked into the Alisa. Firstly, i got left at the airport with no pickup though this was already arranged. Had to hitch a ride with another hotel's protocol since i had no clue where Alisa was.

Was checked into the older part of the hotel which was horrible. Tiny room, old furnishings, musty smell, worn out. Eventually had to upgrade to a club room. First room i was given had a terrible damp smell. I had to be moved to a different room.

Sent in one t-shirt to laundry and it took 2days to get returned.

Internet here is so erratic it shouldn't be added as an advantage. You literally need to stand under the router to get anything done.

Never coming back here obviously.

Room Tip: Ensure you stay in the newer part of the hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank charlesboham
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 20 December 2013
Cherished guest, we thank you for lodging with us and taking time to review your stay.
First of all we apologize for the inconvenience caused with your airport pick-up. In future we will ensure that the right information is sent to the right department to avoid any such hassle.
As you might have noticed, our hotel is undergoing a massive renovation that will solve all the problems with the room you mentioned. Kindly send us an email (n.boateng@alisahotels.com) with your full name and room number to further investigate your laundry and pick-up issue.
The internet problem however, was coming from our service providers and has been resolved since 14th December, 2013 so all your work can now be done from anywhere in the hotel without stress.
We thank you for your comments. It will go a long way to ensure you get value for money on your next visit. We look forward to welcome you again soon.
Best Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed 29 November 2013

No major complaint with the hotel but it definitely misses the wow factor. Just average hotel, decent rooms, average room service, limited food choice in the menu. One major issue was poor wifi connectivity which is very erratic in nature and management needs to look into this.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
We are very happy to know that you enjoyed your stay and would like to clarify that the erratic nature of our wifi internet connection was a major problem from our service providers and steps are being taken to ensure smooth and seamless browsing experience for all our guests.
And concerning the ‘WOW Factor’, you must have noticed that the hotel is undergoing a major expansion project. And hopefully on your next visit you will definitely notice the ‘WOW Factor’.
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcome you again soon.
vaglio basilicata
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I always suggest that when you make a review on Tripadvisor you shall remember if you are in a 3*, 4* or 5* hotel!
This hotel is a 3* and within the 3* hotel is a good one especially for the African standard.
I cannot say that my stay has been perfect, but all the staff has been good trying to accommodate my requests. Especially the guy from IT department helping me every time the internet connection was poor and slow.
Some improvement can be done for the breakfast with some more choices and especially for the service. The waiters should offer the coffee. Instead all the time the client has to ask for!
The rate is quite high, 180US$, but in proportion with the few 5* hotels in Accra which could cost even more than double.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
We are very glad you enjoyed your stay and that you found our staff very helpful and accommodating. We are always eager to serve our guests to the best of our ability.
We would however like to state that our rates are among the best in our range of hotels in the country and our services as you said are incomparable.
We hope you will check out our Christmas deals from our website and spend a few days with us this season… 
Thank you once again for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Paris, France
Reviewed 25 November 2013

Only having had confirmation that I was going to Accra on the eve of the trip, I made a booking for the Alisa through one of the major hotel booking sites on the 22 Nov, for an arrival on the 23rd. On my day of arrival, the airport pickup was there (not for me in particular, just to pick up any Alisa guests that were around, but it is fine). But then, when I arrived at reception (20h30), the girl didn’t find my booking on her screen. So I whipped out my reservation confirmation and number, but still she couldn’t retrieve my booking on the system. Well, these things happen, the hotel had available rooms, so I thought this was no big deal. And that is when the nightmare began: since my booking didn’t appear on her screen, she wouldn’t allow me to get into the room because there was “no proof that it had been paid”. Even though my reservation documents stated very clearly and repeatedly: “Your booking is guaranteed and paid for” , “Your booking has been paid in full”, I thought I was speaking to a wall, or the whole Politburo circa 1978. So after half an hour of useless negotiation, she said she’d call the “manager”. 21h00: he was “on his way”. 21h30: he still hadn’t arrived. So I started to lose patience and actually realised that there was no manager on duty in this four star hotel where smallish rooms go for 200US$: either the previous one had sneaked out early, or the current one was late (or was called precipitously for my “emergency”). 21h40: the famous manager arrives, again looks at my booking documents (and myself) very suspisciously, and disappears for ten good minutes to talk on the phone to deal with what looked like a once in a life time case… Then, alleluiah, I am told I have been granted access to the room I paid for, yeah, I should be so grateful. But the news is not brought to me by the “manager” who quickly disappeared, but by the girl at the reception. So, to sum it up, I was stranded for 90 mn at reception, had to argue, prove that I was of good faith, go on the internet, print out, was treated like a potential cheater whereas I had done nothing wrong and paid the [--] thing in advance! Beyond the strange way to treat a paying customer, it is obvious that this established Accra hotel does not handle its booking system and HR professionally. And it does not even compensate by being nice to the customer who has to make do with the hotel management’s crass incompetence and “it’s not my problem” attitude.

As per the hotel itself, nothing out of this world, nothing particularly wrong either – apart from the stale smell in my room that apparently hadn’t been in contact with any fresh air since Pdt Nkrumah, it smelled like my high school classroom at 5PM. Otherwise, dismal internet, not worthy of an emerging African country like Ghana and of a self-proclaimed “business hotel” (of course, if the internet contracts are managed as professionally as the reservations are… )

1 Thank Rubrique_a_Brac
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
Dear Sir, we would like to apologize for the inconvenience caused you at our hotel during your check-in process. Thank you also for your review as it helps to improve the attitudes of our staff and management. We are really sorry for the bad experience you had, but sometimes some of the reservations coming from reservation portals delay, and some don’t get to us at all as in your case. However this is not an excuse for the attitude of our staff but an explanation as to why it happened.
We would not like to argue about the language you used in this review but there are many ways to send your points across which will help us to improve upon our services, some of the metaphors and words used are not very helpful.
Thank you once again for your review and helping us to improve on our services, attitudes and behavior. We would like to invite you again to our hotel on your next trip to Accra and you will then agree that what you experienced was only a mistake.
Best regards.

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 14 November 2013

During my visit to Ghana I stayed one night at the Alisa Hotel and must say that it was quite nice.

Had a few concerns where the service was not very good, Waited very long for the food.
The internet was on and off the whole time.
The air con in the room was not strong enough and had to wait a long time before the rooms were cooled off.
The breakfast was tasty and the variety was great
The check in process was very slow and had to wait 30 minutes before I could check into my room.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for lodging with us and taking time to review your stay.
We really appreciate your review because our sole aim is to serve you to the best of our ability. As professional and courteous as our staff are, having your feedback helps us to know how to make you happy every time you stay with us.
We are very glad you enjoyed our food. However, your concerns will be carefully looked at to make you happier on your next visit.
Thank you once again for your review. We hope to welcome you again soon.
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 18 October 2013

During my visit to Accra last week I stayed at Alisa Hotel which was recommended by my local partner. The property is nice and spread out with good facilities. The rooms were spacious and the services was very good, although some improvements in the toilets may be required. The hotel has many options for dining, my favorite being the poolside bar. The location is appropriate for business and meetings with good conference facilities. On Friday, there was a band playing by the pool and a decent crowd was there to enjoy the evening.

Room Tip: I stayed in the executive room on the 5th floor which are spacious.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Alisa Hotel and for posting your kind remarks.
We are glad you enjoyed our spacious rooms, services and our location which is just 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes to the central business district of Accra.
We have 13 conference facilities of varying sizes for all conferences and special events.
Our bars also offer the best of meals for all guests and the services of our staff are world class. Our Friday Night barbecue with live band music is a delight for many and the decency of the crowd is always assured both in behavior and number.
We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This hotel is not far from the airport and good for meetings and business. There are some good meeting rooms and plenty of accommodation. Breakfast is OK, good variety. Buffet lunch offers plenty of variety including some African cuisine. The bar offers reasonable meals such as fish and chips and Pizza, and it is quite pleasant to sit by the pool in the evening and enjoy a few "mini beers". wear good mosquito repellent, although the mosquitos were not too bad when we were there.
The hotel has two different buildings, one across the road from the other. I was in the secondary building. Room was fine.
I dont think there is much to do within walking distance, but hire of a taxi driver for several hours is very affordable and then you can go and see some more sites. we went to the art market and the beach. OUr driver organised a guide to take us around the market, and that was helpful. People in the market were friendly, but there were not many customers when we were there. The beach is not what we are used to in Australia, but i found it fascinating to watch the horses galloping along the sand. I think the idea was to pay to have a ride, or a photo. The horses were really lovely.
The hotel staff at Alisa were so very friendly, it made every day start with a smile.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Alisa Hotel and for posting your comments.
We are very happy you enjoyed your stay. We are indeed 10minutes away from the airport and very close to the central business district and other famous tourist sites such as the Arts Center you mentioned, National Theater, Makola Market and the beach. We are also 5 minutes away from the Accra International Conference Center.
We are delighted that you appreciate the smiles of our staff. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.