“Beautiful hotel but not satisfying”

Alisa Hotels North Ridge
Ranked #7 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Lagos, Nigeria
“Beautiful hotel but not satisfying”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

We had been in Ghana since 10th of march but the hotel we got online was very good in Trassacco but it was very far from the national theater (1 hr 30 mins) which was the venue of the event we came for, so we decided to move closer .We got Alisa through the cab driver and we moved to Alisa hotel with my family on 13th march 2014, we were totally disappointed because of the following reasons:
1. The drain in the bathroom was blocked roon was water logged and eventually it made the room to stink. We complained to the receptionist who promised to call the maintenance department and that took almost forever before showing up. When they came eventually they couldn't fix the fault. We were asked to go and take our bath in another room yet it had the same complained.
2. There was no hot water to have our bath and my kids of 1 year, 3 years and 10 years had to bath with cold water. This particularly made me very sad and disappointed despite that huge amount paid per-night and importantly we had to pay on individual basis.
3. We reported the incidence to the manager(light- skinned lady) downstairs and she displayed some terrible attitude. I don't think she is fit to be a manager of a huge edifice like Alisa Hotel.
4. We didn't get a camp bed for the kids they had to sleep on a mattress and that to us was a slap on the management of Alisa Hotel if we could get it at the Trassacco hotel we lodged initially.
Alisa Hotel is beautiful but the management must be on their toes, take customer's review seriously not only replying but also apologising if need be. The breakfast was fantastic i must commend them.
Mrs. Adewoye (Nigeria)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Robosle
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Guest,
We thank you for staying with us at Alisa Hotel and taking time to review your stay.
Your feedback is very much appreciated and is very important to us because we put our guests first in everything we do.
We sincerely apologize for all the inconveniences caused and we would like to state that all the issues you raised will be solved so as to make your next visit a happy and memorable experience.
We are also glad you enjoyed our breakfast buffets.
We hope to see you again soon.
Regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Johannesburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2014 via mobile

I was supposed to stay at Alisa for 6 months from beginning September until March 2014 (only stayed for two months), this is most certainly a decent amount of time to see the true colours of Alisa. I stayed in an executive suite on the 5th floor.

Firstly, there is no denying that on first impression this is a fantastic hotel. The rooms are clean, the restaurant modern, the gym equipment good and the front desk service good.

However, what began with happiness ended with me forcing my corporate to move me out. Having spoken to 4 colleagues who were placed in Alisa in differing rooms there are a few common themes: (1) the drains absolutely stink; (2) there is no hot water between 6h30 and 7h30 and 18h00 and 20h00; (3) by Ghana standards the food is horribly overpriced and very very average with one of my colleagues actually getting food poisoning from the fish; (4) laundry prices are laughably high but don't worry you'll have laundry staff knocking on your door offering a better price by not going through the "official" channel; (5) the tour planners and concierge are highly incompetent and your safest option is to look online, I ended up telling them things for me to do, because of my research, instead of the other way round.

I complained 7, YES SEVEN, times over the course of 3 weeks, about there not being hot water and each time they said they would fix it. After eventually having a very frank discussion with the maintenance man I was told that they cant fix the lack of water because "Alisa hasn't invested in a solution and is not willing to". As for the drains, two of my colleagues got moved around and in each room there was that smell of rotting animal wafting up through the drains in the bathrooms. All this for a room which costs over $400 a night. Be wary of a hotel that doesn't fix anything but rather solutions by moving their guests around until they stop complaining.

From after the first week until I forced my corporate to get me out (2 months in total) I couldn't stand every moment, to the point where it made me physically upset to come home from work everyday.

When a guest leaves 4 months early from their 6 month stay that's really saying something...

Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank John_Golding
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 10 April 2014
Dear John Golding,
Thank you for staying at Alisa hotel and taking time to write us a review. We are happy you found the hotel rooms clean, restaurant modern and both the gym equipments and front office service to be good.
I would like to point out; we take guest complaints seriously and address them quickly and in the best possible way.
Firstly, you are a well known guest to most of the managers and staff of this hotel and this review brings about a bit of disappointment to us. In light with ensuring all your needs and expectations were met, our guest relations officer, Dorinda dutifully ensured that she is always there to welcome you from work and make certain your comfort.
Secondly, there were indeed some challenges with your initial room, which were noted and rectified. Notice notes were sent to all guests prior to when the uncontrollable hot water issue was foreseen, and this has since then been worked upon.
It is quite important to note that, our food prices are very competitive and most often we do get very good reviews for them. Our initial investigations into your feedback reveals you never visited the Litina travel and tour office and that our car rental “BUDGET” only assisted you to hire a car. Again, thank you for bringing our laundry staff’s malpractice to light, this was detected by management last year and immediate actions were taken.
Again, food poisoning is a very serious allegation and as such, we would appreciate it, if this platform would be used for your personal experience.
Finally, we would like to offer our sincere apology to you for all the inconveniences caused during your stay with us. In addition, please be rest assured that all the genuine feedback is taken in good faith.

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Dakar, Senegal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

My third stay at Alisa (2010, 2011 and now 2014). It is always a good place for business or short holiday stopover: large comfortable rooms with minibar, large LCD TV, clean. Restaurant buffet has even improved is now up to my French-eater tastes! Price/quality has also improved but this is due to the devaluation of the Ghana Cedi. Corporate rates are now very competitive. And the gym is really great!

Room Tip: rooms in the main building seem to be larger
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us and taking time review your stay.

We are thrilled to know that you acknowledge the improvement in our restaurant buffet.
We are expanding our facilities and thus improving our services so guests like you will always feel pampered when you stay with us.

We will always be happy to welcome you again and exceed your expectation.

Best regards.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2014

I stayed at the Alisa Hotel from March 14 through March 15. From planning to being picked up at the airport, the level of assistance from Alisa Hotel management was first class. My room was spotless and the employees are friendly. One gentleman named Michael even lent me his cell phone so I could tell my loved ones I had arrived in Ghana.

I think I spoke to every staff person I came into contact with and shared our life experiences. Priceless! I loved the jazz room with its live music and had great conversation with the staff. The gym is first-rate and rivals some of the gyms I've stayed in while in Las Vegas earlier this year during Superbowl weekend. I also got a few quick instructions from the instructor; I believe it was Fred.
I definitely plan to be back and hopefully stay longer so I may take the bus to the Elmina Castle.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank David Y
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at Alisa Hotel and taking time to write such a wonderful review on your stay.
We are very glad you enjoyed our prompt complimentary airport shuttle and our clean and spotless rooms. We are always happy to receive our guests and give them the best service you can ever have in any hotel. We are indeed flattered by the comparison you made.
Regards, from Fred, Michael and all of us here at Alisa Hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2014

Transport: A quiet hotel in a leafy residential area. No problems with transport to town centre or anywhere else in Accra, as there are always taxis passing by and cars for hire waiting nearby. Tiresome bargaining is required, but thats the same for all Accra. The hotel provides an efficient free airport transfer service, kudos for that.

Rooms: Rooms are perfectly functional although rather basic. The room appeared clean but there was a persistent sticky spot near the door and I resorted to using wet wipes to clean the whole floor myself. The bathroom is bright and clean enough. That said, a cockroach did crawl out of the overflow when I was in the tub, luckily I am not the squeamish type.

Dining: The restaurant is buffet only but the spread is wide and changes daily. The quality was pretty good for Ghana and the variety much appreciated. That said, it is hotel buffet food and Accra has a lot better to offer, so dine out if your meeting schedule permits.

Plus points: Wifi was intermittent but internet access works fine if you bring an AirPort or similar and throw wifi in your room via the in-room cable. The pool area is very pleasant and useful for meetings too. Every single member of staff I interacted with over my week-long stay was friendly and helpful. The staff made staying in a generally average hotel into a net positive experience.

Conclusion: If you need international standards, stay in the Movenpick. If you are not too fussed about finery, the Alisa is perfectly functional at a much lower price. It is expensive for what it is, but thats Accra for you.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MMSCPSYH
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 18 March 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for staying at Alisa Hotel and taking time to review your stay with us.
We are very glad you enjoyed our serene environment, prompt complimentary airport shuttle and our perfectly functional rooms, as you rightly said.
We are also happy you enjoyed the wide variety of food at our buffets. We would like to point out that you can always order a la carte from our restaurant as well. Alisa Hotel is a hotel in a class of its own providing world class services to all our cherished guests.
We thank you for appreciating the warm, friendly and helpful nature of our well-trained staff.
Thank you once again for your kind remarks. We hope to see you again soon.

Regards,
Mozambique
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2014 via mobile

I loved staying at the Alisa. I was there from 3rd to 19th January 2014. On my first night, I enjoyed the live band music by the poolside where buffet dinner was being served. On other nights, after dinner, I sat at the piano lounge listening to old favourites.

The food was fantastic especially as there was always traditional food being served either at the buffet or a la carte. There was always lots of fruits and vegetables. A good variety of dishes to choose from at Annabel's and the poolside restaurant. The fruit punch was a hit!

My room was clean and well maintained. Wifi connection is strong, and there is an efficient business centre.

And of course my most pleasant memory will be the friendly and efficient service from the lovely hotel and restaurant staff. Vida and others at reception, Fred at the gym, Nikolaus the Executive Chef, the food attendants, the staff at the concierge, and many others who made my stay simply unforgettable. You have all left me with a very good impression and memories of Ghana.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Alisa Hotel and taking time review your stay with us.
We are glad you enjoyed our Friday night buffet with live band music. It is a program designed to help our guests relax and enjoy good food and music in a relaxed atmosphere.
We are also happy your enjoyed our rooms, traditional food and efficient staff. We always make it a point to make our guests feel at home at all times.
Greetings from Fred, Nikolaos, Vida and all the staff of Alisa Hotel. We hope to see you again soon.
Regards.
Bangalore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

Friendly staff, Good Breakfast, clean and nice hotel to stay. A bit expensive, that is Ghana for you. The rooms are spread across three buildings which are next to each other. That may be a bit odd, so you will have to manage this. Hotel provides a airport shuttle, which is good and prompt.

Room Tip: select the main building, as they have three building next to each other. So take the building which...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
AlisaGhana, Manager at Alisa Hotels North Ridge, responded to this review, 31 January 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying at Alisa Hotel and your wonderful review.
We are very glad you enjoyed our clean rooms, good complimentary breakfast and our warm, helpful and receptive staff. We would like you to note that you can always ask any of our receptionists or concierge for directions to any part of the hotel and they will gladly help you find your way around.
Once again, thank you for your comment and we look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Regards,