“Bait and Switch”

Ranked #72 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Montreal, Canada
“Bait and Switch”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

I had booked the Niagara Hotel but got moved to this dump. Frequent power outages, bugs in the room, terrible furniture, stained and thin bed coverings, really atrocious. They guys working there actually seemed nice, but they work with what they have and since they have a terrible property the service reflects that. You don't want to stay here.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank Canuckker

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 3 January 2014 via mobile

Moved to this hotel by the manager of Niagara hotels because the previous hotel we stayed (Niagara hotel) had a club at the basement and it was impossible to sleep at night especially after a long day touring in Accra.
Getting to Niagara plus, it seemed like it was only one staff working in the hotel. We got our room, a queen size bed with an additional single bed(why the additional bed was there I don't know). The room had a burglary proof inside just after the main room door which just makes you wonder about safety. The AC had no remote so you can't regulate it, meanwhile it took forever to get the room cool enough, the AC was also leaking. Staying here was not a very good experience-we were due to stay 3nights and had already paid but it was just so unwelcoming that we stayed 1 night and checked out and didn't even bother to get a refund for the other 2 nights. We checked into a different hotel (Novotel). Oh did I also mention that the staff at Niagara plus was unfriendly? My recommendation is a 1 night stay just to rest and catch some sleep, but the condition/service does not justify the accommodation at all.

Stayed December 2013

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We booked a double room at $80 per night. On arriving we realised the hotel was undergoing renovation and building work. There were workmen everywhere, cement being mixed and the sound of drills etc. The hotel staff insisted that no work was in progress and said the drilling had just started because of a problem!!!! we negotiated a lower rate. But it was still not worth the money.
No towels. No soap. The AC packed up in the morning. It dripped water on to the sofa. The flush ran all night...
We were offered another room, half the size of the previous one for the same amount of money.
Breakfast was the worst we had in Ghana. The nescafe sachet had hardened and looked like a block of coal. No apology. Nothing.
Petit Fute the French guidebook actually says the management of this hotel are very tourist friendly. Perhaps they were on vacation while we were in hell!
Better off staying at Frankie's for the same price.

Room Tip: Road facing rooms are noisy.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Regensburg, Germany
Reviewed 5 May 2013

We stayed there at the end of our trip through West Africa for 2 nights. I am quite used to basic, but this place was expensive and less than basic. Our twin room had one single bed and a mattress on the floor. We didn't get any towels at first,as it was raining that day and the towels hadn't tried yet and so on. Most of the staff was friendly and helpful. For 70 US$ a night i expect a bit more, sorry.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ingalotta
West Chester, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I stayed one night in this hotel in December. I had spent 3 weeks volunteering in the Volta Region and wanted a hotel for the night before setting out to see Cape Coast and Katkum. The staff was friendly, the room was clean, and it was in the heart of Osu. The shower didn't work that well but for one night was fine. Hotels in Accra are so expensive, I couldn't justify an expensive airport hotel and I wanted to be able to walk around Osu area of Accra. The hotel has a leafy outdoor seating area for breakfast or drinks. In a crowded hot city that is a real charm. Good for a short stay.

I stayed one night at Niagara Plus on the way to Cape Coast. To get to Cape Coast without much time, I would recommend a drive. There were three of us traveling with luggage. We used Johnny Owusu (johnnyowusu1@yahoo.com) who was recommended by a fellow volunteer. A week before while still up in Hohoe, I emailed Johnny. He was very responsive and we arranged a meeting point and plan for the two day trip. He picked us up in Accra and returned us 2 days later to the airport. He drove a 4x4 Toyota with air conditioning and plenty of room for 4 people. He is very knowledgeable and accommodating. He had a flat daily rate that included gas and without him as our driver and escort we would not have been able to accomplish the Cape Coast trip in 2 days and make it to the airport on time. If I return to Ghana, I will use him again to go to Mole National Park (3 to 4 days necessary for the trip). Having a good driver is key in Ghana. The roads are bumpy and everything takes double the time someone tells you. Just because it looks close on the map it won't be.

Room Tip: The taxi had trouble finding it. Tell them it is off of Global Mama road in Osu area of Accra.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Nora702
New York City
Reviewed 12 September 2011

In Osu, arguably the best place to stay in Accra if you are looking for a density of "continental" cuisine, this is the best option of the 3 hotels that my husband and I have experienced. Right down the street from Koala supermarket, Niagara Plus has a nice little outdoor bar/restaurant patio where you can get reasonably good Lebanese mezze and take some sheesha if you are so inclined. The rooms have luxuriously soft comforters and the AC is in good working order, as well as the hot water (except for once when my husband visited and the water was off--this is one of the things about travelling in Africa that may happen, and you just have to roll with it). Compared to Frankie's and Blue Royal (in the same price range and area), I would choose this hotel every time.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Doktorkt
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 6 January 2011

I stayed here for around two weeks and was shocked that in that time my room was not cleaned once and it wasn't even very clean and didn't smell great when I arrived there. The TV didn't really work and there were regular power cuts (no generator back-up as you'd expect from a hotel this size). I was also told that there was wireless internet which was very important to me when choosing where to stay but out of the 2 weeks I was there it worked for 1 day somewhere in the middle of my stay. I had to ask at reception for toilet paper and for the water to be turned on in the morning. For the price, I would expect so much more than this.

Plus points are that the outdoor restaurant has good food as long as you don't mind Al Jazeera blasting out very loudly while you eat. There was a reasonably efficient laundry service, staff were generally friendly including the Lebanese owner and the location is good if you want to be in Osu, the most 'happening' area in Accra.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business