“nolaparadise”

Ranked #4 of 223 Accra B&B and Inns
United States
“nolaparadise”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Unless you are a single male tourist seeking proximity to Joker nightclub, or perhaps looking to pass time in Accra in company of fellow Italian compatriots, there is no compelling reason to be here. The location in midst of residential neighborhood (not a slum) on rutted, dirt street is walking distance to absolutely nothing, other than a restaurant in new Chinese hotel. Moreover, property literally is in the shadow of a factory producing industrial alcohol. See photos. (Owners may comment or clarify this, if they wish.) The location is terrible. Rooms are nothing special: an entirely utilitarian, functional renovation, barely basic. Open shower in bath. First floor 'Apartment' had no AC in main room, no view from windows. Rate made this no value whatsoever, but given the location, evenly steeply discounted, there is no reason to stay at Laparadise. The one thing they have going for them is a very proactive, efficient e-mail reservation response, unlike most of the other hotels in Accra, and which probably accounts for their business. We'd find it incredulous if someone here says they'd repeat at this Hotel. Included breakfast one cup of coffee only. Pay if you want a second.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank Paubranco

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I stayed here for almost a week off and on for a business trip to Ghana in July. I found the staff friendly, the rooms clean and the location pretty ideal, away from the hustle and bustle but on a side of town close enough to access Oxford street for good restaurants and stores. The place was clean, but the room I stayed in could use some updating, including new bed covers and mattresses for starters. Also, while the internet access was consistent it didn't work in my room, so booking a room in the "main" house is better if you don't want to sit outside on the porch to use the internet and be subject to mosquitoes in the evening. I would recommend that the hotel set up a repeater to improve internet access for all rooms. Also continue to improve the convenience of credit card purchases, even for shorter stays. The courtyard was nice and the small pool clean and inviting. This is a great alternative to the chain hotels and at a very competitive price for longer stays. The location is also close to a locals type of beach, for music and food. To the extent that the hotel can control neighborhood noise outside its rooms, the better, but overall I was only awakened one morning of my five night stay - its Ghana so you have to expect the voices of kids in the morning.

Room Tip: Stay in the main house
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Lagos, Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 25 June 2013

If you're looking for a lovely budget hotel with great food and a serene environment, then La-paradise it is. I was in Accra for a training program at the movenpick June 10 - 15, 2013. They had a driver pick me up every morning and bring me back, and He was nice enough to show me around the town of his own accord.
Donna's just the best, and Kate and wendylove, and mabel (i.e the staff). They make you feel warmly welcome from the instant you walk in and really sad that you're leaving. Would definitely return on my next trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Dayo A
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I stayed here for 10 days in January and I have to say that I am more than impressed. It was my first trip to Ghana and I didn't know what to expect with anything and I can safely say; La Paradise Inn set the standard for everywhere else. We were greeted by Donna and Vitto at the airport (albeit that we were late getting out of departures), to be taken swiftly to the hotel, shown what's what as we drove through the local area. Donna and Vitto's hospitality was an absolute treat, if you wanted something, they would go out of their way to provide it for you, it definitely felt like they were closer friends you haven't seen in ages. Their staff members were just as friendly and attentive, making sure that everything was okay, or if you needed anything, but not to the degree that you felt smothered. The food that was cooked onsite as magnificent, everything being freshly prepared and cooked to your taste and on the last day of our trip (even though there was a minor power cut in the entire area), Donna had managed to cook myself and the other member of the party two HUGE T-bone's with chips and mushrooms, perfectly!

As for location, we were right near Joker's bar, which was perfect, close enough to shops and a pharmacy if we needed anything. There was a local beach, but that didn't tempt us, instead, we headed to Labadi Beach, a short 5 minute cab ride, costing about 4Ghana Cidi.

The rooms were fully air conditioned, with hot water, T.V. sets, refrigeration units and able to pick up WiFi and very homely.

I think my only gripe with the Hotel was the neighboring church which would have services every evening and once on a Sunday morning, but there is so much to do within a stone's throw that the church shouldn't be a problem.

I look forward to coming back to La Paradise Inn soon and seeing everyone again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scott M
UK
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I AM SO DISAPPOINTED and SHOCKED of how some PEOPLE can completely and dishonestly place negative reviews which are not even relevant and honest.
I was spending my day off today planning a return back at the la- paradise inn and looking at the current availability to call Vitto and Donna and book a vacation for the family when I came across this horrendous and untrue review of the hotel and I could not resist but to stand up on behalf of LA-PARADISE INN and defend them.

I am a beloved fan and patriot of LA- Paradise inn hotel and myself and my family have stayed there in 2009 and more recently last year and was going to request availability for June to then book a further stay with them.
Donna and Vitto are two most amazing people and myself and my family are glad to have met them. Their hotel is an inspiration of how with hard work and dedication one can achieve what they have achieved and they mean every word, from the moment you step inside the compound it's a true oasis and real tranquilility with an outstanding team behind them they do beyond their duty to make sure every guest is really looked after and made to feel at home.

The location is what I love about the hotel is so central to all amenities and Donna and Vitto cater for all your needs that nothing is ever missing.
The beach is close by and when we stayed last year I was surprised to find out that the local area surrounding la paradise is going through a major development with a new hotel been built. If this area was as terrible as mentioned why would other major developers take their hard earned money and invest!!!

I can go for ever but i will finally just add that the hard work that Vitto and Donna place on their hotel shows each and every time. la- paradise inn is an oasis in my eyes and it's a great place to relax and unwind.
I wish people would be honest in life and give credit when it's due.

Room Tip: All rooms are exceptional...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank LUXIRIA
Sawbridgeworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Shocked! The reviews, their website all says this place is and should be paradise but we were shocked to find when we got there it is not on the edge of a slum but right in the middle of it...
On the website they say that it is surrounded by shops and restaurants Which is simply NOT TRUE! It is situated in one of the worst areas in accra. The two minute walk to the beach it refers to is a walk straight to a slum and a dirt ridden beach. The people who run it seem very nice but i am disappointed that they have lied on their website. it is better to be honest and charge the right amount than create an illusion of grandeur that is all in their heads... Needless to say La-paradise inn is not what it says on the tin!!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank KiwiB34
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2013

What a find! We couldn't have been happier nor better looked after. From the minute we were met at the airport by Kate to our departure several days later we can recommend the lot! From the good accommodation to the chilled setting with pool in a nice suburb of Accra near the beach, not forgetting Donna's amazing cooking and a steady supply of drinks! Donna, Victor and crew, thanks for a great stay and we hope to come and see you again soon!

Stayed January 2013, travelled with friends