“Great food/view, mediocre rooms”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort
Ranked #43 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Ann Arbor, Michigan
“Great food/view, mediocre rooms”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

To start off, let me clarify that this 3 star rating is relative to other places in ghana. A 3 star hotel in ghana is more like a 1 star hotel in the US. You will have cockroaches in your room (pretty standard in all ghanain hotels that are <50USD a night...except cape coast university!).

When you first enter, you walk into an open area with a performance stage directly on your right, some pool tables and tables/benches down on your left, and the front desk directly ahead. This area is decently kept and pretty chill to hang out in. Expect lots of rasta guys smoking weed and shooting pool.

The view is awesome everywhere in the hotel, as you're sitting up on a cliff over looking the ocean. The only negative of the view is the abundance of trash in the water, but this is typical everywhere on the coast east of cape coast.

The rooms are kept in a separate are of the hotel, behind a locked door behind the front desk. It's intended to keep the riff raff away from the rooms, but honestly security isn't good at all and I wouldn't depend on it. At night you can literally walk through the front desk area and open the door to the rooms yourself (no one is at the front desk at night).

The rooms line the edge of a cliff and look out over the ocean. We stayed in several of them, including their most expensive, and they're all pretty run down even by ghanain hotel standards. Beat up/gross furniture, cracks/holes in the walls, barely functioning doors, etc. Not the worst place I stayed in ghana, but definitely on the lower end as far as rooms go. They'll give you a pad lock for your door, so as long as the door stays on, your room is fairly secure. They also have bug nets in most of the rooms, which is nice considering all the cockroaches you'll find when the lights go out. Their most expensive room didn't have a bug net and in my opinion was the worst room.

The highlight of this hotel for me was definitely the food. You wouldn't expect it, but they had the best indian food I've had in my life. My travel companion agreed, it was truly fantastic and unbelievably cheap. If you don't stay here, stop in for the indian food at least. They also had really fresh fruit for breakfast (pretty typical in ghana) and some of the best coffee I found in ghana (not saying much...at all).

The last thing you should know about this place is that the location is sketchy. In particular, at night. You really don't want to be walking back here from the main road at night. Know where the dirt road is and have a taxi driver take you right to the door (they will). We walked down this dirt road and through the little marketplace at night a couple of times at the beginning, and it's really not a good idea. You will be followed/harassed by all kinds of locals in various states of intoxication. On the plus side, as far as location goes, there's a forex and ATM nearby to exchange/withdraw money.

All in all, I'd definitely stay here again. Its proximity to the airport, cost, and food are what will draw me back. We had some minor disagreements with the staff, but overall they were fairly hospitable. This place shouldn't be a destination for your trip (not too much to do besides shop), but it'll suffice as a place to stay and provide some good food and views. Hope this is helpful to someone!

Room Tip: Don't bother with their more expensive rooms (e.g. "Room Four A" or "Room Four B...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
thanks Erik
a very long review, and I think pretty fair.
Room 4b, which you downplay, has a chequered history. Someone said he would take it for two years, said he would improve it, but made changes which to my view made the place worse (eg he took out the nets at the windows... but if it was for 2 years I didn't mind), then reneged on the deal after 4 months. We are still trying to recover!
Is that an excuse?
It is not meant as an excuse, just there is a human angle to this, we are not a soulless business... we face our own challenges, so i let you know the story...

Room 4a, also top range. is to my mind very attractive.... Erik says avoid it, well you will have to for now, because someone has booked it almost solidly till the end of February, he loves it so much and is coming back for the fourth time.

At night, we do have security patrolling.

I know cockroaches get a bad press, but they are also part of Gaia. They scutlte around our home too every night, my wife hates them, but I jut let them go their way, while I go mine. Live and let live. But my housekeepers will spray if you ask.

I don't mind walking around outside at night, but we also advise guests to take a taxi to the door if they can. And if you want to leave late, the staff will bring a taxi to the door for you.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for one night at the rising phoenix after turning up with no reservation. the room is pretty cheap (no bathroom) for a place in Accra, especially as it is right on the beach.

I was suprised at the extensive list of items on the menu and the varied food. Both of the indian meals we ordered were delicious, the fruit salad for breakfast was amazing, and the smoothies were worth staying there along (the big bang yes please). The chapaati bread was not so good, as well as the pizza, but top marks for everything else.

the only other negative about the food was the very long wait. It was almost two hours for our lunch to come, and maybe an hour for breakfast. We didnt mind as it is a peaceful place to sit and watch the surf but not so good if youre really hungry or in a hurry! So i would suggest ordering in advance.

the room was very basic and cleaner than i expected it to be. Unfortunately there was no running water in the shared bathroom, but it was clean most of the time.

Staff were freindly and helpfull. And the place was pretty peaceful most of the time. You do get a few wonderers wanting to make conversation, be polite but if your not in the mood for a chat let them know subtly.

Its in a great location, close to most tro tro stations and the art market. I can safely say I think well be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ainsley D
thanks. I think we have a great place, not perfect, especially given that as a budget place our resoruces are limited, but great in own way. And here in Ainsley is someone whp knows how to enjoy it, so yes please come back.
As I have said to others, learn the skill of saying no (eg to conversations you do not want), and you can be happy even though your environment is not made just to suit you...
Food is slow partly because we cook everything fresh, which not everyone else does... and because of tne length of our menu... but hopefully we can improve.

last week a lorry broke the water pipe under our road, which meant the tanks got almost empty, and the showers didn't haverunning water... now they do.
Juba, South Sudan
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We can‘t judge the quality of this place as a hotel, but we had breakfast there and that was pretty disappointing. The smoothie was tiny and instead of French salad I got fruit salad (all though I did pay for the more expensive French salad). There were quite a few people idling around and some were smoking marihuana. If you want a cheap alternative in the neighbourhood, check out Evelyn’s bed & breakfast (next to opportunity bank/behind the central post office): 60 ghc for an AC’ed double room including breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ward T
others are raving about our food, look at the neighbouring reviews!
but sure, go to Evelyn's, if you prefer main roads to beaches!

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Assens, Denmark
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I will never recommend this "resort" to anyone.
All though the food was okay, the service was very slow! Waiting 2 hours for a pizza is not was we expected!
The rooms and the furniture in the restaurant is worn down to a minimum.
The beach is covered in garbage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lotte B
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
this seems to be our fate at the moment, some love us, some.... do not.

our menu is immense, we always cook from fresh... and last month our senior cook got married, and took a rathjer longer honeymoon than was right... I wasn't too happy either.
so once again we were understaffed... soory... (but happy marriage to her!)

I remember hearing about this delay as I arrived, I am not sure it was 2 hours though.

as the menu says, let us know if you are in a hurry... sometimes we are bored here, nithying to do, sometimes overworked... and if we see ourselves to be overworked, we can advise you.

we are a budget place, you can get a beachfront city centre room for us for under 10 Euro, if you want great comfort, pay for the best rooms, or accept that we are cheap and therefore economise, no?

much of the garbage generated by the city ends up in the sea, and some is washed back to our beach, alone we cannot do much about it. I am almost famous though in Ghana for refusing plastic bags in shops, knowing thje inadequacy of garbage disposal at city level.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 31 October 2013

This place is really run down. A lot of locals hanging out, smoking loads of weed and sleeping in chairs around the property. Service is average. Kitchen is slow. Rooms are cheap but needs a lot of maintenance. But if you are into loud music, weed and funky people, this is the place. If not, stay away.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RicoChristensen
funky people... thanks for that. I like it. Funky has I believe many meanings, but I take funky to mean individualistic, and yes, if you like individualistic people, THIS IS THE PLACE!
SO... COME!!!!
The music is not always loud, today only the glorious ocean... sometimes loud true, not always what I like either, but here in Ghana many like it that way...
No need to like weed, I don't, perhaps though I am more tolerant than some... we spend energy chasing it away whenever we see it... if yoyu don't like it, just tell the people, or us....
Rooms are indeed cheap, it is perhaps logical they will wait loonger for maintenance than more expensive ones... pay for the better ones if you want it more upmarket, or enjoy your bargain.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I don't ever write reviews, but this hotel compelled me to. In the Bradt guide this hotel was described as a young, hippy, vegetarian beach resort. On arrival it became clear that this hotel was the local hang out for those who wanted to get high on weed. The place stunk of it. There were old drunks everywhere, eager to cling onto your arm to get your attention to talk some rubbish to you.

The room was sadly not what we were expecting. Luckily we had only booked to stay one night. The outside had peeling paint and looked uncared for (I understand that the ''sea air'' erodes the paint work...this is no excuse, it looks rundown - end of). The bed had dirty, stained sheets with sand in them (we hadn't been to the beach so I guess the last sleepers in there had..) which is unacceptable. The room had a broken blind (so we woke up with the sunrise....!). When I alerted the manager on this, he seemed to not really care and just said he was aware. There were no mozzie nets as the Bradt guide said, and the mozzie nets on the window had all peeled off. The bathroom did have a good water supply (it seems the hotel invested in this), although all the water was cold (common for Ghana) and very basic. The shower also had dirt and sand in it, proving again that the room was no cleaned prior to us staying there. The hand washing tap/sink did not work so you had to use the shower to wash your hands after the loo. No toilet roll/soap/towel is provided unless you ask. The fan in the room was working well. The sofa in the room was stained, old and sagging. That night we shared the room with spiders, large ants(about 2cm length) and a gecko. The whole room looked rather forlorn, unloved and dirty. When we woke up with the sunrise (due to the blind), we were greeted by the smell of weed. This continued all day.

The food at the hotel (if I can call it a hotel) was well priced, arrived on time and the quality was okay. There was a large menu to pick from. The downside of the food was the fact that you had to eat in in an area full of weed smokers and drunks, and young ''artists'' trying to sell you stuff or trying to get your number. It was really annoying.

The ''hotel'' overlooks the beach...however one must realise (and I didn't before I arrived in Ghana) that Accra isn't the place to go to the beach. If you want a beach holiday in Ghana, go to somewhere like Axim (Axim Beach hotel is lovely). The sea is full of plastic and rubbish. The beach is the same. And from what we saw of the beach (we didn't actually go and sit on it), you'll have the same company as upstairs - drunks and druggies.

The night we stayed we went out and came back to the hotel at around 11pm. A bonfire was taking place just outside the hotel with all the druggies and drunks from the hotel acting aggressive. The atmosphere was crazy.

I'd been in Ghana (travelling around) for 4 weeks before staying here. This was the only place I felt unsafe in the whole month.
Would I recommend it to friends or family? No.
I would have rather paid more and got somewhere better (this hotel isn't exactly dirt cheap).
Sadly I didn't read the reviews on here before booking as we all seem to be saying the same thing!

To the manager: get rid of the drunks and druggies, paint the rooms, clean them before people stay in them, and give them clean sheets, - and you'll be onto a winner.

Room Tip: errrrr book another hotel??
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank n5am
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 21 September 2013
well, opinions differ. You have your view, I have mine.

I do think the heading is quite wrong.

I first came here in 2005, when the place was somewhat similar to now, but also very very very run down, much more than it may seem to you now... and I bought the place.

I have been totally abstinent as regards all drugs and alcohol for decades now, but I loved it then and still do.

And not just me. We have been achieving hotel occupancy around 80% the last weeks, and while some of those guests may be parttial to alcohol and drugs, i don't think they all are.

Now as to the detailed points one by one.

We are a city centre resort, we are open to a mixed crowd, you may get surprises. I can't stop that. I myself am here almost every day of the year,. and I know overall how to relate to the varied people who come... I wonder as I write what I might do to help others do the same....

I am sorry you found the room of poor standard. All rooms except one (4b) have nets at the windows and we will give you a second net fro the bed if you ask. We will also do any cleaning you request if you tell us. We were shortstaffed this month though,. sorry too about that.

Actually I think you must have been in room 4a. That has nets at doors and windows. So I don't get that bit.

I have nothing against geckos, they will eat the mosquitoes!

The beach is not the best, true, but we cannot solve that problems alone...

Interesting that your tone softens towards the end of your review, the last word is even 'winner',. rather in line with the rave Bradt review. Thankyou for that.

I always tell everyone I meet at reception to complain directly to us, I encourage it. I think immediate direct complaint helps all round... if it is needed. Perhaps I did not meet you or get that message through to you.... I mention that because your tone becomes softer and more positive after you have complained... might more complaining on the spot while you were here have helped you?

Anyway, what has happened has happened... I do not want to blame or argue...

I accept your points about renovating the roroms and will act on them.

The most difficult idea of yours though is this: "get rid of the drunks and druggies'... Get rid of them? Is this a new kind of 'ethnic cleansing'.? Certainly the words 'get rid of' grate on me.

Not that I do not understand you. Still, I hope to make my place a melting point for many different types of people, and I see my job more as co-ordinating that, organising people so that all co-exist richly and happily.

It is a difficult challenge, do I succeed? Not entirely, I admit it. But I will keep trying tomorrow, rather by encouraging understanding and meeting, than by excluding people... though that too does happen...
Birmingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2013

We checked in at about 2am after having been out with some friends in Accra and I had a great nights sleep. We spent the morning relaxing in the resort with a banana smoothie and lovely beach views. Although service was little slow for food it was tasty once it arrived. Good value for money.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 27 August 2013
thanks, I am happy you enjoyed our place.
we have a very long menu, I think one of the longest in Ghana... and we like to cook from fresh. That can make service slower than some places, but I hope the wait is worth it.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Accra
Ramada Resort Accra Coco Beach
Kings Royal Atlantic Hotel
Labadi Beach Hotel
Labadi Beach Hotel
#1 of 92 in Accra

Been to Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort? Share your experiences!