“Pleasantly surprised”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort
Ranked #48 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Betty's Bay, South Africa
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 6 January 2014

After reading the negative reviews here, it was with some trepidation that I spent a night here. As a fairly mainstream woman over 50 with a 9 year old son, I wondered whether I would regret it. But we loved it! It is simple, but it is a budget resort. And despite that, it was far more fun than the standard sterile hotels we've stayed in before in Accra. The rooms are simple but clean, and falling asleep with the waves crashing outside is great! We felt safe, loved the location on the cliff top, food was great. Sure there was aromatic smoke occasionally, but really did not bother us. The staff was courteous and helpful. Ride from and to the airport was colourful and prompt. Will definitely keep this as our Accra transit location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Anneline S
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Thank you, Anneline!
And thankyou especially for checking in with me via email before you came, AND THEN DECIDING TO TAKE A CHANCE ON US!
Nothing per se against the reviews here, but I hope all of you reading the reviews here will ask yourself whether the person writing them is looking through your kind of eyes. Because, if not, what they write may not help you.
I stayed here for some months before buying the place, many of the problems reported here were there then too, but I would regard most as like salt in the soup. If there is too much, yes, the soup is spoiled. But if there is none, the soup has little taste.
I think you may get adventures if you come to our place, I would hope you are open to that. The people you may meet here may help you know new things. Nothing new comes totally easy. Want the challenge?

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Essen, Germany
Reviewed 16 December 2013

This place has its pros and cons but overall it is a lovely place to stay in Accra and I felt obliged to write a review! I came here for a drink with a friend around 3 years ago and went there on a whim in October 2013 whilst looking for a place to stay in Accra. I couldn't remember exactly where it was but the memories of the cliff views stayed in my memory and I was determined to find it again! We stayed for 3 days initially, and loved it so much we came back for a further 2 days at the end of our stay in Ghana.

It is located on the cliff front just off High Street on the way to Jamestown. Some taxi drivers find it a bit difficult to find if they don't know the name so tell them it's behind Holy Trinity church on High St on the cliff front and they should find it!

Firstly, the entrance area. This is a dancing area, bar, pool table area, and plenty of seating on the cliff side directly overlooking the roaring Atlantic. It is actually an idyll of sorts in bustling Accra. At the far end of the bar/seating/dancing area is a (supposedly) locked door which leads to the bedrooms. The door is meant to be kept locked to prevent non-guests from walking into that area. Whilst we were there I never found the door to be locked, but I have to say we never had any problems with non-guests entering the area. All of the rooms have a cliff-front view and little porchway with a table and bench, and we spent a lot of time sitting there drinking a beer and enjoying the great view, and the majority of people who walked past us were either staff or other guests. We actually felt quite nice and hidden away in our little proch there, and because the room area is separated from the bar/dancing area you do feel secluded. At night, the music in the bar area is quite loud, but the volume is reduced somewhat in the room area. But, you would be aware of this when you first come into the Rising Phoenix as it is obviously also a night club, so there's no grounds for complaining! During the day, it is quite a quiet and relaxing place to sit. In fact, it is the best view I've ever had in Accra!

The room itself has some room for improvement, BUT considering the very reasonable price and the standards you'll find elsewhere in Accra for the same price, the rooms are great value. The outside area and view is a bonus. We had an en-suite with a shower. There wasn't any hot water, but as a frequent visitor to Accra I can tell you that is a rarity unless you are paying into the hundreds of cedis per night so that it not normally something I expect any more. Besides, it's a hot place and a cold shower is welcoming. The water pressure, however, was amazing! The shower head was also very large so although the shower is cold, it had a good water flow and was very satisfying. The shower head was also attached to the wall (also a rarity in my experience!), so it was very nice being able to rinse my hair properly. Other females with long hair will emphasize! No lock on the bathroom door, but this wasn't a problem travelling as a couple.

We had a double bed and the place was roomy and plenty of space to have suitcases flat on the floor and still be able to walk around. There were no hooks or coathangers but there were two large shelves. There was also a ceiling fan. We had mixed feelings about this - it was very wobbly and at times we thought it may wobble off the ceiling - this should probably be looked at. We were hesitant to leave it on at night, but we did do on a low setting as it was otherwise too hot. We didn't have a mosquito net over the bed, but the windows do have a net screen on them. Other people have commented about the bugs, but I have to say we didn't have any experience of bugs in the room.One small irritation was that the toilet rooms were not replenished and we always had to keep asking for them. There was also no toilet roll in the bathroom on arrival. The door also had a proper lock and key, not a padlock as others have commented. Unfortunately, I don't know which room we stayed in, but it near the beginning of the path where all the rooms are. We looked at 3 rooms of different prices and chose this one, which I believe was mid-range and cost 65 cedis a night. Having stayed in many places in Accra at a similar price and with similar facilities, this is my overall favourite. Had the ceiling fan been securely fixed, it would have been perfect.

No breakfast is included in the price but the food is really good and very reasonably priced!! Perfect for when you are craving some carbs and food from home! There is also a very varied choice. And cheese! That won me over. The local beer is also slightly cheaper than in some other bars in Accra. The food always came in good time, and the staff are very friendly, helpful and accommodating. A good tip - you can actually call the staff from your phone to place an order so you don't have to even have to walk back to the front bar and wait to order. Sadly, we only realised this on our last day.

The Rising Phoenix is a great place to stay and you won't get much better anywhere else in Accra for the same price, in my opinion! Sure, it has little inconveniences but this is part and parcel of travelling in Ghana and this is far outweighed by the overall experience of the place! If you're looking for a fun, lively place to stay with great views, you can't go wrong here. D.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
thanks... we will check the fan....
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I think the location and value at Rising Phoenix are pretty good for Accra so I won't address that.

For me the problem was I caught the manager stealing from me.

Here's what happened: I went to go to the toilet and (foolishly, I admit) thought because I'd only be a second I could leave my door unlocked. When I came back the manager was bent over my bag going through my purse. He quickly stood up and dropped it and gave some poor excuse about checking my light, which was over a meter from him.

He rushed out and I looked at my purse- I had just counted how much money I had as I'm a budget traveller and I like to stay very aware. I was missing 60 cedis, about £20 worth of dirhams (useless to whoever stole them) and all of my cards were poking out like they had been looked through- though luckily all of my credit cards had been hidden elsewhere as I tend to hide things in various places when I travel.

I started to get very angry. As a female solo traveller, I suffer a lot of harassment and many men think that they can take advantage of me, that I won't say anything about it. But I've grown to learn that I can't be pushed around, even if 60 cedis is relatively little money to me. So I approached the manager and demanded that I get my money back. He pretended to be shocked and went to my room to "help me look" for it. He then blamed the rasta guys hanging around, saying that he had seen one in my room and that was why he was there earlier, to chase him out. I then asked him why then he hadn't told me that in the first place instead of saying that he was checking my lightbulb? He had no answer. He is a very poor actor indeed, and he went through my stuff "looking for the money." He then picked up a pair of jeans I hadn't worn for months and magically found the money in them, but not the Moroccan money, though I'm fine with that.

He then went on to tell me about how the rasta guys were all thieves. They make an easy scapegoat for him and I don't doubt that he's pulled the same thing before, maybe to some poor girl less willing to call him out on it. I left the same day and didn't see the owner, though if I had I would've addressed him as I'm sure he wouldn't want such a thing to occur. I do not like to accuse people of such things but I know I saw this man going through my bag, I know he lied to me after and that he did a poor job at attempting to covering his trail.

Budget places are budget places. All in all for the price I was happy with the room and view. But having the staff steal from you is inexcusable.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Diana B
Diana
how I wish you had met me...
I have spoken to the manager, he tells the story quite differently, that is what tends to happen. I feel it not right to repeat his story, better to simply say I am sorry at what happened, however it happened.

Obviously I will keep my eyes on everything.

I will be frank here, we have had about 5 incidents of potential theft in my seven years here. We have only managed to solve one of them.. the police came in once, but also failed. Did the guest perhaps lose the money somewhere else without realising? Is a a member of staff? Might another hotel guest be the culprit? I wish these incidents never happened, but the world is not quite like that, and we are part of that world.

Let me tell future guests this: Always lock your door, even for an absence of 1 minute. Hand us valuables for safekeeping if you want:. And call me on 0204 332051 if you need to.

Sorry again.

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 11 December 2013

To start off, let me clarify that this 3 star rating is relative to other places in ghana. A 3 star hotel in ghana is more like a 1 star hotel in the US. You will have cockroaches in your room (pretty standard in all ghanain hotels that are <50USD a night...except cape coast university!).

When you first enter, you walk into an open area with a performance stage directly on your right, some pool tables and tables/benches down on your left, and the front desk directly ahead. This area is decently kept and pretty chill to hang out in. Expect lots of rasta guys smoking weed and shooting pool.

The view is awesome everywhere in the hotel, as you're sitting up on a cliff over looking the ocean. The only negative of the view is the abundance of trash in the water, but this is typical everywhere on the coast east of cape coast.

The rooms are kept in a separate are of the hotel, behind a locked door behind the front desk. It's intended to keep the riff raff away from the rooms, but honestly security isn't good at all and I wouldn't depend on it. At night you can literally walk through the front desk area and open the door to the rooms yourself (no one is at the front desk at night).

The rooms line the edge of a cliff and look out over the ocean. We stayed in several of them, including their most expensive, and they're all pretty run down even by ghanain hotel standards. Beat up/gross furniture, cracks/holes in the walls, barely functioning doors, etc. Not the worst place I stayed in ghana, but definitely on the lower end as far as rooms go. They'll give you a pad lock for your door, so as long as the door stays on, your room is fairly secure. They also have bug nets in most of the rooms, which is nice considering all the cockroaches you'll find when the lights go out. Their most expensive room didn't have a bug net and in my opinion was the worst room.

The highlight of this hotel for me was definitely the food. You wouldn't expect it, but they had the best indian food I've had in my life. My travel companion agreed, it was truly fantastic and unbelievably cheap. If you don't stay here, stop in for the indian food at least. They also had really fresh fruit for breakfast (pretty typical in ghana) and some of the best coffee I found in ghana (not saying much...at all).

The last thing you should know about this place is that the location is sketchy. In particular, at night. You really don't want to be walking back here from the main road at night. Know where the dirt road is and have a taxi driver take you right to the door (they will). We walked down this dirt road and through the little marketplace at night a couple of times at the beginning, and it's really not a good idea. You will be followed/harassed by all kinds of locals in various states of intoxication. On the plus side, as far as location goes, there's a forex and ATM nearby to exchange/withdraw money.

All in all, I'd definitely stay here again. Its proximity to the airport, cost, and food are what will draw me back. We had some minor disagreements with the staff, but overall they were fairly hospitable. This place shouldn't be a destination for your trip (not too much to do besides shop), but it'll suffice as a place to stay and provide some good food and views. Hope this is helpful to someone!

Room Tip: Don't bother with their more expensive rooms (e.g. "Room Four A" or "Room Four B...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
thanks Erik
a very long review, and I think pretty fair.
Room 4b, which you downplay, has a chequered history. Someone said he would take it for two years, said he would improve it, but made changes which to my view made the place worse (eg he took out the nets at the windows... but if it was for 2 years I didn't mind), then reneged on the deal after 4 months. We are still trying to recover!
Is that an excuse?
It is not meant as an excuse, just there is a human angle to this, we are not a soulless business... we face our own challenges, so i let you know the story...

Room 4a, also top range. is to my mind very attractive.... Erik says avoid it, well you will have to for now, because someone has booked it almost solidly till the end of February, he loves it so much and is coming back for the fourth time.

At night, we do have security patrolling.

I know cockroaches get a bad press, but they are also part of Gaia. They scutlte around our home too every night, my wife hates them, but I jut let them go their way, while I go mine. Live and let live. But my housekeepers will spray if you ask.

I don't mind walking around outside at night, but we also advise guests to take a taxi to the door if they can. And if you want to leave late, the staff will bring a taxi to the door for you.
Reviewed 3 December 2013

We stayed for one night at the rising phoenix after turning up with no reservation. the room is pretty cheap (no bathroom) for a place in Accra, especially as it is right on the beach.

I was suprised at the extensive list of items on the menu and the varied food. Both of the indian meals we ordered were delicious, the fruit salad for breakfast was amazing, and the smoothies were worth staying there along (the big bang yes please). The chapaati bread was not so good, as well as the pizza, but top marks for everything else.

the only other negative about the food was the very long wait. It was almost two hours for our lunch to come, and maybe an hour for breakfast. We didnt mind as it is a peaceful place to sit and watch the surf but not so good if youre really hungry or in a hurry! So i would suggest ordering in advance.

the room was very basic and cleaner than i expected it to be. Unfortunately there was no running water in the shared bathroom, but it was clean most of the time.

Staff were freindly and helpfull. And the place was pretty peaceful most of the time. You do get a few wonderers wanting to make conversation, be polite but if your not in the mood for a chat let them know subtly.

Its in a great location, close to most tro tro stations and the art market. I can safely say I think well be back!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ainsley D
thanks. I think we have a great place, not perfect, especially given that as a budget place our resoruces are limited, but great in own way. And here in Ainsley is someone whp knows how to enjoy it, so yes please come back.
As I have said to others, learn the skill of saying no (eg to conversations you do not want), and you can be happy even though your environment is not made just to suit you...
Food is slow partly because we cook everything fresh, which not everyone else does... and because of tne length of our menu... but hopefully we can improve.

last week a lorry broke the water pipe under our road, which meant the tanks got almost empty, and the showers didn't haverunning water... now they do.
Juba, South Sudan
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We can‘t judge the quality of this place as a hotel, but we had breakfast there and that was pretty disappointing. The smoothie was tiny and instead of French salad I got fruit salad (all though I did pay for the more expensive French salad). There were quite a few people idling around and some were smoking marihuana. If you want a cheap alternative in the neighbourhood, check out Evelyn’s bed & breakfast (next to opportunity bank/behind the central post office): 60 ghc for an AC’ed double room including breakfast.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ward T
others are raving about our food, look at the neighbouring reviews!
but sure, go to Evelyn's, if you prefer main roads to beaches!
Assens, Denmark
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I will never recommend this "resort" to anyone.
All though the food was okay, the service was very slow! Waiting 2 hours for a pizza is not was we expected!
The rooms and the furniture in the restaurant is worn down to a minimum.
The beach is covered in garbage.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lotte B
phoenix t, Owner at Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
this seems to be our fate at the moment, some love us, some.... do not.

our menu is immense, we always cook from fresh... and last month our senior cook got married, and took a rathjer longer honeymoon than was right... I wasn't too happy either.
so once again we were understaffed... soory... (but happy marriage to her!)

I remember hearing about this delay as I arrived, I am not sure it was 2 hours though.

as the menu says, let us know if you are in a hurry... sometimes we are bored here, nithying to do, sometimes overworked... and if we see ourselves to be overworked, we can advise you.

we are a budget place, you can get a beachfront city centre room for us for under 10 Euro, if you want great comfort, pay for the best rooms, or accept that we are cheap and therefore economise, no?

much of the garbage generated by the city ends up in the sea, and some is washed back to our beach, alone we cannot do much about it. I am almost famous though in Ghana for refusing plastic bags in shops, knowing thje inadequacy of garbage disposal at city level.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Accra
De Holiday Beach Hotel
Kings Royal Atlantic Hotel
No photo provided
Inn-Syde Guest House
#13 of 191 in Accra

Been to Rising Phoenix Magic Beach Resort? Share your experiences!