“Excellent Indian food and good outdoor ambiance.”
Review of Khana Khazana

Khana Khazana
Ranked #126 of 285 Restaurants in Accra
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Delivery
Dining options: Delivery
Reviewed 24 January 2013

We liked the food and ambiance so much (as well as the prices!) that we ate here twice during our four night visit to Accra.

The dosas we excellent as were the sauces and rices. Lots of choices for vegetarians. Six of us ate and had a drink for a total of 81 cedis!

It's a little tough to find, but just head to the Engen petrol station on Kojo Thompson Road (near the National Museum) and walk through the petrol station on the right side and you can't miss it.

Enjoy!

4  Thank troutsfarm

Reviewed 3 November 2012

I notice every review starts with the same explanation in case you don't believe us: get dropped off at the Engen petrol station on Kojo Thompson Road in Adabraka, and walk round the right hand side to the large empty lot way up the back, where there are two pavilions set in a secluded grassy expanse - the outdoor dining area and the outdoor kitchen.

It's the most authentic Indian restaurant I've been to outside the subcontinent, with a comprehensive South Indian menu from idli and dosa to curry and biryani, served on comfortingly tinny steel plates. It's all plastic tables and neighbourly cats lurking underfoot, so you feel free to make a mess of things. If I didn't overwhelmingly prefer North Indian to South Indian in general I might give it five out of five, but as it is I don't know South Indian well enough to trust my own judgement. Rely on your own and enjoy.

4  Thank Kerwin D
Reviewed 26 September 2012

If you are lucky enough to find the place (it is tucked in behind an Engen petrol station), do not be put off by appearances. Food is great, they serve the traditional south Indian dosas (thin crepes with a variety of toppings). We went there with a large group of people and service was very slow and confused, but smaller parties of people next to us where served fast and looked really happy. Good quality curries and much better than its competitor, Tandoor.

1  Thank Life-in-Africa
Reviewed 21 February 2012

The restaurant is open, outside behind Engen petrol station with plenty of big fans if its getting warm. Its surprisingly atmospheric at night, unusual for Accra! The tattered menus give a range of veg and non-veg dishes. As a south indian food addict, I go for the Dosa which is fantastic and great value at 6-8 GHS for a dish, with excellent coconut chutney of course! The starters are good too, around 7GHS for pakoras and my meat eating friends enjoyed chicken 65 - what else!

Also it is a good place to get good sweet lassi and idli. Yes, Idli - so if anyone wants to try soft steamed rice cakes and chutney, this is the place. They do a 10GHS veg Thali but I have not been there when it is available yet... but I will keep trying.

So over all, good food, much cheaper than most indian places in Accra and best of all, it tastes like real south indian food... now that makes me happy!

2  Thank GingerTravelsUK
Reviewed 16 December 2011

Great to find South Indian food in Accra. Tasty food, reasonable prices and a relaxing atmosphere in an unlikely location. It seems that they don't need much signage or advertising even though they are hidden behind a petrol station. Outdoor dining, but you soon forget that you are in a busy commercial district.

1  Thank Bakkaniya