“Not as bad as some of these reviews but not great value nevertheless”

Mensvic Grand Hotel
Ranked #35 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Twickenham, United Kingdom
“Not as bad as some of these reviews but not great value nevertheless”
Reviewed 20 May 2012

It's certainly not the worst hotel in Africa, but I paid US$130 a night and its not worth that, but then all prices in Accra are crazy at the moment. So the positives; the swimming pool was very clean and large. The restaurant has a great mix of local and European food - all to a high standard. The rooms are large with a balcony and the bed was ok - despite all the other reviews. I'll explain why below. There are some decent bars and restaurants nearby and the hotel staff were friendly and helpful.

The negatives; despite asking 3 times, I didn't get a remote for the TV. The wifi....... it didn't work and I really had to complain a lot - the IT manager didn't seem to hot on how to fix it. I was given a cable but even then it didn't work. Anyway it did get fixed the next day and it was fine, but it's weak and takes a lot of hassle to get it. I also had to ask for some soap in my bathroom.

And the bed? Well the mattress is like steel, but on top of mine was a soft cover that meant the bed was really nice. I guess the other beds just don't have the cover, but I'm sure you can get one...

Don't change money there - the rates are rubbish - walk down the road.

Overall it was ok, but expensive. I think some of these other reviews on this hotel are harsh.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 4th floor tend to be better - you get an electronic key card - not a key!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Toffeeman1878

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I travel to Ghana few times each year, for travel. I don't need a lot: a decent bed, an Internet connection, and some food which can be defined as edible. Ah, and maybe a clean bathroom every now and then.
My experience with Mensvic has been tormented - to say the least - the 2 times I have been there (yes, I gave them 2 possibilities... silly me). Order of problems found:
- I have been assigned a room that was somebody else's room: I entered and there were shoes and clothes of some other person. They had forgotten, so they told me.
- They forgot to register my company for the corporate tariff, so they pretended for my manager to arrive in the middle of the night and hand them over a letter
- average service time at the restaurant is over 1h, just for 1 simple dish and the bill
- Internet connectivity is not working 3/4 of the times. Except, it's just a bad configuration of their network. It took me a while to realise it (I know, I'm not a technician, and sometimes I'm quite dumb). But they had absolutely no idea what the problem was and they kept calling the ISP technician, who arrived, checked and found no problem.

All in all: just don't bother going there.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank bobbywatson23

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 April 2012

I expected just an ok option to stay at.
I got:
- terrible beds
- terrible service
- power cuts 1-3x per day, no generator
- disgusting pool
- terrible service
- thefts by the staff
- did I already say terrible service?
Just don't go here, it's not worth the money

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank matraquilho
Attard, Malta
Reviewed 20 March 2012

The beds were very hard. We called them Hard Rock Beds. We were staying as part of an international medical conference. The rooms were clean and spacious enough. The AC was good. But keep a sharp look out for thieves. We were not robbed but some other delegates were. Some staff at reception are incompetent and there is a lot of red tape. As hotel was nearly full service was rather slow

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank GRIMS
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 9 February 2012

True enough as one person already commented the beds were strange "concrete blocks", but then very oddly I never had a bad nights sleep! The room was incredibly spacious, had excellent water pressure in the shower / bath, was clean, neat and perfectly adequately furnished with very efficient air conditioning. I felt comfortable and secure throughout my stay. Found it very central to my requirements and found all the staff very accommodating and extremely friendly. The internet was good in the business centre and the food was always perfectly acceptable. Obviously I was a foreigner in a strange place which makes strange things often a little unpalletable but I'd have to say that I was very happy overall and will definitely stay there again on my next upcoming trip.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Marks C
Kumasi
Reviewed 22 November 2011

As most things in Ghana are negotiable a rate was agreed on check-in for a stay of four days. The bed was so rock hard it was positively painful to sleep on, I honestly do not know how such appalling beds can be manufactured and sold. I eventually folded the quilt into three and laid it on the bed to sleep on and folded the sheet several times to cover myself and topped it off with my personal towel as hotel towels are normally not bath sheet size. This was after two days of waking every time I moved in bed. The floor would probably have been as soft! Most of the ambitious electrics on the bed side cabinet did not work, the TV stations were all fuzzy, the food was mediocre at best and overpriced ($13 for two slices of bread with locally produced bacon inside and a side of frozen chips) and when checking out the rate was deemed to be 60% more than originally agreed!!!!!!! Do not stay at this hotel, it is terrible, the customer service is almost non-existent and I shall never go there again.

Room Tip: Find another hotel.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 15 October 2011

I guess the best thing I can say is that nothing got stolen from me at this hotel. If I hadn't been there for an on-site conference, I'd have changed hotels.
When I arrived, there was no shower curtain in my room. One day I went to my room midday to find that a shower curtain had been installed, and the room door was propped open. Presumably this was to allow housekeeping access during the installation - but there was no one in my room, or even on that floor of the hotel. I closed and locked the door, and counted myself lucky that the room "safe" (a steel box in the closet that was not attached in any way to the wall) was still in place, since that's where I'd left my passport.
The rooms are spacious but spartan. The flow from the showerhead was so low that I could barely rinse the soap off my skin. Yet it flooded the bathroom floor every time I turned it on - even after they'd installed a shower curtain. The air conditioning seemed to have just two settings: "freezing" and "off."
Check in, check out, and all other interactions with hotel staff were extremely annoying. Everything took forever, and there were nearly always mistakes.
The best part was the food and the attentive service at the hotel restaurant. Portions were enormous, and the traditional West African dishes were great. But it was priced pretty high, as were the rooms themselves, and the food often took an extremely long time to arrive.
If I go back to Ghana someday, I'll look for another option for lodging!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank catlaz1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Accra
Tulip Inn Accra Hotel
The African Regent Hotel
Paloma Hotel Spintex
Paloma Hotel Spintex
#51 of 92 in Accra

Been to Mensvic Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!