“a very good hotel”

Ranked #2 of 92 Hotels in Accra
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“a very good hotel”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a week on business. In a room on the 4th floor. THe hotel looks great, furnishings and decor top notch. There was a distinct damp smell in the corridors on the that floor but this did not extend to the room which was a good size, well furnished, with a great bathroom and shower. The air conditioning worked fine, complimentary tea coffee and water, an in room safe big enough to hold a 17" laptop, plenty of wardrobe space, an iron, and a huge Sony flat screen TV. I found the wi fi worked easily, although it was slow (no good trying to watch You tube). There was only one day when I could not get connected. The breakfast buffet is probably the best I have seen but there were a few minor niggles,on a couple of days due due lack of attention to detail. The buffet opened at 6.30. I wanted tea, but whilst there were tea bags, there was no hot water, or cold milk which also ruled out cereal. . There was bacon, sausages etc but no scrambled eggs. These did not appear until 6.50. The evening buffet is expensive ($35) but very good. The a la Carte dishes were also good. Wine as expected was expensive, $10 a glass for the cheapest! Desserts were superb. The pool was huge and the pool service from the bar very good. There is a free airport shuttle which worked very well, although it can only carry 6 people max with luggage. All in all a very good experience but for $380 a night for a standard room it should be! I would be happy to stay here again

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this review, 4 November 2013
Dear Chapel43

Thank you for the time taken to complete your TripAdvisor review and thank you for staying with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and please rest assured that your observation of the Breakfast operation will be shared with the F&B Manager & Chef and corrective measures will be put in practice.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you back once your travel brings you back to Accra.

Nadja

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 2 November 2013

This must be one of Accra's best hotels, and it seems pretty new. I don't think I had any complaints about staying here, other than that room service almost always took longer than advertised. My colleague complained about the internet speed, but I didn't have any issues. The gym and pool facilities are excellent, and there is a good coffee shop (and small mall area) connected to the hotel. Good range of TV channels, comfy beds and stylish bathroom all added to the quality of the stay. Buffet restaurant ok, there is an outdoor option too. Hotel is centrally located so it provides good access to ministries, etc.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor for a decent view. Ignore pool opening times, I was able to go for a swim...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear RikTNC

Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us during your time in Accra and thank you for the time taken to share your experience with other travelers.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to welcome you back one day.

London
Reviewed 1 November 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at many business hotels in africa and this was the worst by far for getting wifi working. Of my three mission critical pieces of equipment, I was only ever able to get one connected. My colleague too had the same problem. Of course, i figured i could just call guest services and get it sorted. No answer after 20 rings. Just to put icing on the cake, after my visit, they sent me an email asking for feedback. When I clicked on the link, it directs me to an internal server error!!
Ok the staff are very friendly, and service generally very good (with the exception that it was not very easy to get coffee at breakfast - I had to ask several times). The design and cleanliness of the hotel are superb, but in the end, I wasn't able to get work done while there. Maybe that wasnt so bad as I had to sit by the pool and read instead. Bottom line - for the price, it should be a trouble-free experience. My hotel stays in Nairobi, Kampala and Dar went very well by comparison.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Dear Ibscotty

Thank you very much for staying with us and for your feedback. Please do accept our sincere apology for the service errors occurred during your stay, please rest assure that each of them will be addressed and worked on.

As to our Wifi coverage in the hotel I’m delighted to share with you that we have recently embarked on a project of upgrading our current Internet System with the latest state of the art technology which will provide all our guests with a large choice of Internet services. This project is currently on going and is scheduled for completion towards end of November. During the transition period current services will not be affected rather whenever a certain area is completed services will increase in the respective location.

Once again, thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope that you will give us another opportunity to show you our new internet system & the true Swiss service with a personal touch.

Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I came with a group for an executive program in Accra. Although there are Boutique Hotels I think for a group like hours or for business purposes this is the place to stay in Accra. A good restaurant, a reasonable room (linen ware a little tough for the quality of the hotel and price, for example) and good service deserve making the choice for this place. Wi Fi slow and not strong is another thing to improve whereas charging for an additional cappuccino at breakfast (considering the price is just a wrong option toward customer satisfaction). A nice pool, good gym and also nice shopping arcade make as a summary a good experience

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Eduardo O
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this review, 28 October 2013
Dear Eduardo O.

Thank you for choosing Moevenpick Ambassador Hotel for your & your groups recent visit to Accra and our thanks also for taking the time to share your experience.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and please rest assured that your remarks will be adressed.

We do hope to welcome you back again in the very near future.

Regards
Cairo
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I have stayed in Movenpick for only one day in October 2013 before heading to Kumasi to watch a match between Egypt and Ghana. Movenpick is almost the best hotel you can find in Accra. I was coming in a group and to minimize time for check-in, the hotel had prepared the room key for each person in advance and that was nice however all us us had to return back to the reception again as all the keys were not activated !!
The hotel provides a wireless internet service however you will be lucky if you can manage connecting to it by yourself. Again you need another journey to the reception to configure it for you.
The room was wonderful with its view facing the pool. Very good bathroom.
Food in general was good however for me choices were limited especially in Lunch and Dinner.
The hotel has a very good pool however I did not have enough time to use it.
Transportation from the hotel is not an issue as you will find lot of Taxis just outside the hotel and the hotel staff were nice to get you a taxi whenever you want it.
Good location just beside the National Theatre and within few minutes from the famous Art Centre.
Overall very good hotel especially when you are in Africa.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Dear Ahmedalhadidi

Thank you very much for selecting our hotel for your group and for the time taken to share your feedback.

I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and would like to apologize for the issues with the keys. I do remember very well the moment and it was an error from our side. My sincere apology for this.

As to our Wifi coverage in the hotel I’m delighted to share with you that we have recently embarked on a project of upgrading our current Internet System with the latest state of the art technology which will provide all our guests with a large choice of Internet services. This project is currently on going and is scheduled for completion towards end of November. During the transition period current services will not be effected rather whenever a certain area is completed services will increase in the respective location.

Once again, it was a pleasure hosting you and your group and we hope to welcome you back one day here in Accra

nadja
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 7 October 2013

I really REALLY like the Moevenpick, I don't know why, because I haven't always had the best services here but I do.
Unfortunately, I will not be staying here again. There have always been issues with the internet anytime I stay here, sometimes minor, and if you spend the day at meetings outside the hotel, it doesn't really affect you. During my last trip, I spent more time at the hotel than outside and had a ton of work to do, unfortunately, there was no internet for the 2 days I was there and was told that had been the situation for a couple of days before I got to Accra.
For someone who was in Accra for business, this was a disaster, this is why I shall not be taking such risks again, and will be staying elsewhere.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Olasimbo O
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Dear Olasimbo O

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for the time taken to share your feedback.

While we are delighted to see your most favorable comments as to cleanliness of the room, location and overall sleep quality we have noted with great concern your comments and observations as to our Internet services. We are delighted to share with you that we have recently embarked on a project of upgrading our current Internet System with the latest state of the art technology which will provide all our guests with a large choice of Internet services. This project is currently on going and is scheduled for completion towards end of November. During the transition period current services will not be effected rather whenever a certain area is completed services will increase in the respective location.

In closing should travel bring you back to this part of the world I would be more than delighted if you could contact me directly nadja.mueller@moevenpick.com in order to assist you with your booking at our hotel.

nadja
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Overall a positive feedback,

clean and good spacing in the room, quiet, good airconditioning, secure access to each floor, nice view to the pool, good food, while charges and prices are higher than expected.
Personnel should improve its skills and manners. Bath tap was faulty the first day, next morning a techician fixed it. Internet access not always fine. Not flexible with extra allowance of

Room Tip: with a view to hotel's pool
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank NBX1964
Nadja M, Rooms Division Manager at Movenpick Ambassador Hotel Accra, responded to this review, 6 October 2013
Dear NBX1964

Thank you for your time taken to share your experiences about our hotel.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I noted your comments about the manners of our team members. (if you would not mind, I would like to know more details about your observation - nadja.mueller@moevenpick.com)

Once again, thank you and we are looking forward to welcome you back one day.