“Amazing”

Ranked #11 of 223 Accra B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Amazing”
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have just returned from a three week stay at The Aknac Hotel in Accra and I have to say I was very impressed with this hotel. I travel to Accra frequently and have stayed at all the top hotels....thus said I was keen to try somewhere different. The hotel decor is absolutley gorgeous! The staff are also very attentive,anything I wanted or needed was catered to above and beyond my expectations.I found the location perfect,not too far from the city and quiet enough to relax. The food was immpecable and the service wonderful.I enjoyed my stay there immensly and look forward to returning.
Sasha Rygate

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Sasha R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Accra
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Aknac is NOT an establishment that deserves the title «hotel»
So far in life I have been to more than 85 countries, including several visits to Ghana at very decent hotels, but the Aknac establishment is on the top of “worst place to stay.”
I had to prepay for the four day stay at “easytobook.com” and that is probably the reason I stayed all four nights . . . (Shame on you, “easytobook”!!)
Let’s start at the airport on arrival. Despite an early message when I booked the hotel about pickup, I had to write them a second time to get any response. And they of course assured me they would pick me up. At the airport: No one visible. It took two phone calls (with half an hour in between waiting . . .) before anyone materialized . . .
Finally, at the hotel there was an elevator . . . not working, of course. Inside the room on the 3rd floor the AC was working, and they did offer you a soap and a towel. No shampoo, no conditioner, no body lotion . . . for more than 100 USD a night . . . (OK, I did complain, so after two days the shampoo was delivered on the door . . . .) And yes, the Internet was working . . . off and on . . . but not when you really wanted it to . . .
And the free breakfast . . . is fine if you eat fruits or cornflakes but nothing else . . .
Well, stupid me, I also invited some Ghanean friends to have lunch at the hotel. It took more than 90 minutes (one and a half hour!!!) to cook the same dish to all of us . . . . Even my Ghanean friends were deeply embarrassed . . .
Do I need to tell more?
Simply, don’t go there . . . even if they pay you to stay!

Room Tip: Simply, do NOT go there!!!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Arne H F
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

This was my first trip to Ghana and I'm so glad I spent it at this hotel. I stayed with a friend and we had such a relaxing time, and felt we were in luxury. As you drive and turn around the corner on the approach to the hotel, it appears magnificent. The hotel has a clean and spacious, modern, minimalistic feel to it. As you walk through it you spot the odd item that made us think 'wow', for example the huge chandelier hanging from the top staircase, the artwork dotted around, and the fish tank in the dining room . There didn't seem to be many guests while we were there, so it was pretty quiet, which suited us fine as we wanted a holiday that gave us time out. The staff were lovely; polite and accommodating. We met Norma, the hotel owner, and Cecilia, the manager who, again were friendly and made us feel so welcome. The hotel is situated in the up and coming, very nice area of Trasacco Valley, East Legon, where there is some housing development taking place. We did need to travel some distances to get to places we wanted to visit like Labadi & Tawala beaches, Aburi Gardens, Elmina and Cape Coast Castles, Kakum National Park and Hans Cottage. However the travelling via taxi (the rank situated just around the corner from the hotel) and the 'tro tro' (the Ghanaian mini buses) made it an adventure and was another experience that is a must!
Food at the hotel was nice, though there were the odd misunderstandings with what we had ordered due to language issues. The menu was limited so it was nice to eat out now and again on our day trips. The pool was clean and the garden well kept. I did fancy a bath, however there were no bath plugs, and although I asked for one, somehow one couldn't be found, so I had showers which were nice as the water pressure was excellent. Watch out for the stairs leading to the bedrooms that have unequal height; we needed to focus each time we climbed them to avoid stumbling. Great Wi-Fi connection. The positives far outweigh any negatives that are meant as constructive criticism. All in all, a lovely place to be and well recommended. Thank you Aknac hotel management and staff for a fabulous stay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
6 Thank PaulaTM
Little Rock, Arkansas
Reviewed 7 June 2012

European prices, in Africa
Overview
The hotel looks nice online and even in person, but I found myself eager to leave. As a person who travels mostly in the Western world, I figured that if I am paying as much as a four-star hotel in the US or Europe, I will get the same experience. This is not quite the case. Something to keep in mind is that this could very well be a developing/developed world thing.
The following is a recap of a three-week stay at the hotel. Finished just a year ago, it is obvious that some corners were cut. That applies most notably to the bed mattresses (which are very, very hard) and furniture (very wobbly and small, especially the desks in the rooms). It does NOT apply to the bathrooms, which are nice.

Location
I found this to be one of the biggest problems of the Aknac. It’s tucked away in a residential development area that is still largely under construction (but so is Accra in general, which is dominated by shacks). The surrounding areas to the hotel are primarily half-finished buildings and huge mansions with electric fences. There are only dirt roads, where goats, chickens and mostly lower-income residents hang out. There is absolutely no way for you to go for a walk, shopping or sightseeing. There is nothing around the hotel of note. Your ONLY ticket out is a taxi. A trip to Independence Square takes approximately an hour one from the Aknac one way. The airport is about 45 minutes away. The main bus station is 1.5 hours away. The hotel works with some taxi drivers. Be prepared to pay USD 10-15 one way to go downtown, the Accra Mall or the airport for a taxi ride in a car with no air conditioning. Going to the main bus station to go out of town is $22 (40 cedi) one way. To put this in perspective, the bus ticket for the 3-hour drive to Cape Coast is USD 3-5 (6.5-9 cedi).

Room and Hotel
The rooms and the hotel overall are pleasantly decorated. That being said, everything is cheaply done. The biggest problem was the bed. The non-spring mattress is so hard that I had backaches initially for days. I eventually adapted to it, however, and it was not a problem towards the latter part of my stay. The rest of the hotel follows the same maxim of good appearance and very low quality. Light fixtures in the hallways, for instance, were already cracked after merely a year.
One of the biggest reasons why I booked this hotel was the fact that there was wireless internet. While you will be able to keep up with email, keep in mind it is spotty at best. There are wireless routers all over the hotel, but often my computer would connect to one that had no internet connection. Even the ones close to my room only sometimes had no active internet connections. Even when the internet is working, forget about downloading or streaming videos. It is too slow for those purposes. I did notice once that it gets much better after 1 am or so, so it is definitely a bandwidth issue.

Customer Service
I found customer service to be lacking. The staff is exceptionally friendly but EXCESSIVELY inefficient. I have worked in the service industry back in the day and I was simply befuddled. At any given point, there is more staff than customers in the restaurant and bar. However, service is unbelievably slow. This includes everything from placing an order, getting prepared food and receiving the hand-written heck. A lunch/dinner will take easily 1.5 hours. By the end of the stay, I started calling in my order because I found it extremely annoying to be just sitting there. Room service might be the best option, even though it will cost you 5 cedis extra. The housekeepers similarly take a long time but do a decent job.
Upkeep could be better. I had issues with my AC and the shower while there. The AC got fixed very quickly and efficiently (well, I had to stay out of my room for 2 hours while they were working and cleaning up, but it was worth it). I had less luck with the shower. My shower head came undone from the wall. I called the reception and a handyman showed up. He took a look at it, said he would be back in five minutes. I never saw him again.

Pricing
The hotel is overpriced just like any other hotel. I have heard, however, that it is much cheaper than the resort hotels by the beach. A big bottle of mineral water is sold for 5 cedi ($2.7) in the hotel. It costs less than 1 cedi at the supermarket. A main course at the hotel restaurant ranges from 8-20 cedi ($4.5-$12), which I found to be a better deal. The food is definitely well prepared and was a high point of my stay. The free breakfast was also adequate. Had the wait not been so long, I would definitely have recommended the dining at the hotel.
On the downside, laundry services are exorbitant. A small load of about three days’ worth of laundry will easily cost you 50 cedi ($25-30). The hotel will refuse to provide you with an iron in the room, encouraging you to use the laundry service and get everything back (somewhat) ironed. No dry cleaning is available.

Hotel Facilities
The pool / common areas are sometimes rented out for private parties, which is very noticeable in a small hotel like the Aknac that does not have areas specifically reserved for guests and visitors. At one time, a throng of middle schoolers came on a bus and proceeded to splash around in the pool. A major incident occurred on a Friday night when the pool was rented for a birthday party. Since the pool was right under my balcony and the party continued until 1 am, with music fully blasting and drunk people screaming on the microphone, it significantly influenced my level of comfort. The advance notice by management arrived mere hours before the party in the form of a note slid under the door and it was more of an update, rather than anything else. This was definitely the low point of my stay at the Aknac and a true illustration of the different standards of customer service and guest treatment.
In addition, the pool did turn swampy green midway through my stay, and stayed that way, unoccupied by anyone, for days. While at the pool, you will have to endure music blasting during the day. The selection is limited, typically Caribbean music, Dolly Parton, Shaggy, Whitney Houston, Celine Dionne or related, on repeat, ALL day. The repetitiveness of the music selection, as well as its omnipresence and loudness, was simply mind-blowing. I hope I never hear Celine Dionne’s voice again.
The hotel lacks a gym, which was a problem for me. They are constructing one and there is a nearby shopping area with a gym, where you can go. Of course, prepare 15 cedi for the short round trip to it and back.

Social Scene
The hotel provides a mixed bag of visitors. Some were elderly Western Europeans who spent most of the time in the hotel and pool. Some were notably engaging in what looked like sex tourism (hey, it is a market economy). There were a handful of tourists who only slept there and some business travelers and people from Africa.
The staff attempts (and this is the key word) to organize social events, but there is really no robust scene at the lobby area / bar. Most of the time there is more staff on site than guests. Considering the above-mentioned combination of external reservations of the common areas and loud and repetitive music, this is not really a surprise.

Final words
If you are stuck in Accra (itself a chaotic, smelly and awfully planned and run city), the Aknac might be a good option. Considering the price and location, the hotel is best suited for someone on vacation that plans to spend their time relaxing by the pool. Then again, if you are going to be spending $100+ /night, $50 for transportation and $40 for food a day, you might as well not vacation in Accra and pick a more conventional and comfortable vacation destination.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at The Aknac Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Sir,

We would like to thank you for your recent review of The Aknac Hotel.
One of our aims as a hotel is to endeavor to please each and every one of our guests, so understandably we regret that upon this occasion we have not fulfilled all of your needs and requirements.

We value the opinions of guest’s at our establishment as it assists us in improving our services. The concerns raised in your review however, could have been shared with the management team during your long stay which would have enabled us to address them all.

In your review, you describe Accra as a;
“Chaotic, smelly and awfully run and planned city.”
Ghana epitomizes the true beauty of Africa through its culture, history and people. The growing number of visitors to Ghana only goes to show that.

You also stated that you had issues with the bed mattress and bedroom furniture.
Here at the Aknac hotel, our chosen mattress is a medium-firm orthopedic mattress or a firm mattress with a softer pillow as it gives the spine that "just-right" balance of support and cushioning. We chose this option after extensive research was carried out. This research proved that a very soft mattress causes the body to sink down to the bottom of the bed, whilst a very hard mattress will put too much pressure on the sacrum, the shoulders, and on the back of the head. Each guest has their own preference and we understand that we will not be able to please every visitor.
Our bedroom furniture was sourced from local crafts and tradesmen in an effort to support and promote local furniture businesses in Ghana.

You mentioned that one of our light switches was cracked upon your inspection. Our hotel practices a rigid maintenance routine to ensure that our building and fixtures are attended to when in need of care despite the effects of weathering and use. As you can appreciate, maintenance is an ongoing pre requisite and on this occasion we are sorry that this element had not been rectified.
For the comfort of our guests, we ensure that we are able to have qualified technicians and maintenance staff that attend to all the required needs.

As you may have experienced, our friendly staff are here to ensure that our guest’s needs are always met and will go the extra mile in making your stay as comfortable as possible, assisting with local knowledge etc.

We have taken into consideration the other points made by you and have addressed them.

We will be happy to welcome you back on your next visit to experience our services.

Kind Regards
The Aknac Hotel
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

11 of us stayed here over the Easter period 2012. The hotel is beautiful with spacious, comfortable rooms which are arranged well. The staff are friendly and very accomodating, actually going beyond their requirements. For example we would often come back late but they would always open the kitchen and cooks us a meal, not just a snack, no matter what early hours of the morning it was. They would also arrange transport for us all at the best possible price, discarding the companies that tried to rip us off. The food was excellent both local and international dishes and it's tastiness and good pricing made us always come back to the hotel to eat. The lay out of the hotel is well thought with lots of areas to socialise and the pool wasn't too cold so became a great relief from the hot sun. It is actually hard to found anything bad to say. I think my only negative point is no irons in the rooms although this didn't become problematic because they offered a quick ironing service for a cheap cost. Also some may think it's located too far out of central Accra but for me it was perfect as we didn't get hassled coming to and from the hotel, transport is cheap and it was closed to the airport which they provided transport to and from for free.

Room Tip: Choose a Junior suite as although not much more expensive than a standard room it is so much more sp...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Cynthia A
Accra
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I Had the pleasure of staying in this hotel and i must say the stay was very nice.The beds were comfortable and clean. The staff were friendly.The food was great both local and the continental.Had internet access everywhere. I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a good,chic and value for money place to stay whether for pleasure or business recommendable

Room Tip: Standard room is comfortable and clean good value for money
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank 951KarenD
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Stayed one night in transit hoping we had found a jewel in Accra that was close to the airport and reasonable price as it was ranked #2 in the B and Bs. Staff were very good, roooms are fine and breakfast for this part of the world was OK. Some of the issues though! They say they do transfers, yes but only to the hotel, you must pay to get back to the airport, a squeaky pipe in the room all night and with the corridor being tiled, it was very noisy. Low water pressure (note under door did apologise for this, problems with a main), very hard beds. In summary, fine for the night but with a 30 to 45 min drive to the airport, will look at staying at the normal suspects like the Golden Tulip in future.

Stayed April 2012, travelled on business