“Horrific!”
Review of El-Elyon Hotel

El-Elyon Hotel
Ranked #121 of 260 Accra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2014

First of all, payment in advance. Expensive, old narrow corridors. My first room was awful, the toilette was torned out from the floor, fetid smell and A/C located in front of bed instead of in top on, that means impossible to sleep with it turned on. Windows bad closed, not isolated.

Nobody in the kitchen at 08,00 AM, nothing prepared; Just an omelette and slices of bread, really poor breakfast.
Fortunately, housekeeper supported me to change immediately my room, even she was told off for it. No apologies for nobody.
Finally, no shuttle service

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 24 April 2014

staff members clueless re health and safety. misrepresented. not up to scratch. very dated accommodation. poor, dungeon-like bathroom facilities.

Be very careful. Internet adverts does not represent the facilities offered.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Nike A
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Stayed over night with my grown up son and the i really enjoyed my stay.
It was my first visit to Ghana, right from the reception, the attendance was good.
My restless son was accompany for his short stroll around the area.
The breakfast was good for me.
Areas that needs improvement are, the single chair upholstery needs to be changed, the intercom in the rom was not working and nothing was done after I reported, could not plug the kettle in d room due to no socket or adapter.
I will definitely stay there in my next visit regardless of the minor faults.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 May 2013

The Caveat: hotel rooms in Africa tend to be expensive and really bad value for money when compared to many budget hotels in Asia. Accra is particularly expensive when you consider what you are getting in return. I am assuming that background when assessing my stay at this hotel.

The room was fine by local standards - nice large bed with a good mattress and plenty of pillows although the bathroom was a little battered looking. As usual, the cost was huge compared to elsewhere in the world, at US$90 per night or $85 if you booked online.

THey had a desk and chair in the rather small but adequate room. Hot water did not work the first night but they fixed it after some significant lobbying from me. I kept getting demands for payment at odd times, like when I booked in late at night when the banks are closed and I have just stepped off an international flight with no sleep!

THis is not to say that the staff were bad - the cleaning staff were great. So was the cook. But there were some staff who kinda hung around and would do not very much for you except grunt in reply when you greeted them, who I guess were family members, whose attitude just did not belong in any place of hospitality.

Breakfast was ok - egg and bread with butter and jam. THe bread was actually quite good. But it was the same every day. There was a kettle in the room but no way of connecting it to the wall. WHen I asked for a plug adapter, I was basically told that they are not supplied - so as I am a tea addict, I went and bought my own down the street.

The real downside was when they tried to charge me US$36 to launder 6 polo shirts, a pair of socks and 2 items of underwear. By the way, there was no price list supplied but I would never have suspected this price. The owner "explained" to me that they were charging $5 to launder each polo shirt because of American visitors whose clothes were slightly damaged demanding compensation of $100 for each item. He expected me to believe that - try getting 50 cents out of a hotel owner in Ghana as compensation for anything like that!! I suppressed my choaking with a mixture of laughter and annoyance - I have long ago stopped calling people on their nonsense in this part of the world as it frequently offends - and therefore pretended to believe him.

Apart from the laundry, it is actually one of the most reasonably priced places of its kind in Osu/Oxford Street area, if you are staying a few days but not for a longer stay.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Dantheman123456
Reviewed 10 May 2013 via mobile

Rooms seems to be nice at the first moment but blood stains and wholes on the bad sherts, lack of bulbs in the lights, hairdryer that doesnt work or cockroach in the bathroom give real view of the comfort.
100$us for that is too much.
For me hot water and big bed was a nice change after budget african hotels but even that I was expecting more.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank very-sunny
Reviewed 5 April 2013

I spent the Easter weekend holiday in Accra and for the first time decided to stay at a different place other than my usual Frankies Hotel.

Although slightly more expensive, the WIFI service was excellent and free whereas one had to pay for it at Frankies. The room was spacious and the bathroom was pleasantly roomy. There was also a breakfast buffet option with an okay variety of breakfast dishes from cereal to eggs, toast, etc.
The staff were particularly warm and accomodating and even extended the breakfast time for me the morning after I arrived as I was so tired from my trip. When I needed to change some currency on a sunday when the forex bureaus were all closed, one of them even accompanied me to a local place to do so.

The downside was that there wasn't a great variety of TV channels but overall, it was a very pleasant stay in the heart of town at a reasonable price. I have already booked El-Elyon for my next stay.

Room Tip: I stayed in Room 104 (single room) and I liked it.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 18 November 2012

We were glad we checked out early from the next door Blue Royal to move here. The El-Elyon is better value. Most of the staff are charming and helpful. The aircon worked well. The WiFi was generally reliable. Breakfast was variable and limited - some days there were cornflakes and bananas and somedays not - the staff did their best. For a country with abundant delicious and inexpensive fresh fruit it is a pity that hotels like this don't provide it. If you don't have dollars in cash surcharges are heaped on the bill. The hotel uses a dollar/cedi exchange rate that means there is the equivalent of a 12% surcharge if you pay in cedis. I was first told I could pay in dollar traveller cheques with a 6% surcharge plus 12.5% VAT - then when I presented an Amex travellers cheque I was told it could not be accepted. Later I was told it couldn't be. Try to pay in dollar cash if you can. The location is great. I grudgingly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family