“Expensive for what its worth”
Review of Golden Tulip Accra

Ranked #18 of 92 Hotels in Accra
New Delhi, India
“Expensive for what its worth”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The hotel is an expensive four star property the nicest part about which is the pool and the surrounding areas with palm trees. I was first given a room in the basement floor with no sunlight and asked for the management to change my room. I was eventually given a room with a connecting door in the second block with a lovely view of the pool. The room had all amenities except for an ironing board and a mini bar (the fridge is there but you need to ask for the stock). The bed was extremely dirty - had hair all over it and I had to ask housekeeping to re-clean the room. The room walls are paper thin - you can hear all conversations in connecting rooms or even the TV if it is loud. The shower does not have hot water but rather warm water. Sometimes the housekeeping forgot to put towels. I found the service very spotty also at the restaurant where some days food ordered took more than an hour. The buffet is definitely quicker. But in both vegetarian options are very limited - the pizza and hummus and pita servings were delicious. Accessing the rooms in the block next to the hotel shops is very difficult as the access keys never worked and I had to walk back to the lobby to ask for help. The hotel should change the access machine ASAP. The hotel is definitely not worth what the price is for.

Room Tip: If you select a room overlooking the pool, it may get noisy in the evenings.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We sincerely apologize for not meeting your expectations. We have taken note of your concerns and assure you that they are being addressed.

For your information, our connecting rooms are specifically designed for families (i.e. children in room next to parents). Thus, are not noise free. However, all other rooms are noise free and our reception staff should have given you one of these rooms.

Once again, please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused.

We would like to be given the opportunity to offer you a more positive experience on your next visit to our hotel and look forward to welcoming you again.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I visited the Golden Tulip in Accra whilst I had some time to kill before my flight home. The hotel is a 5 minute drive from the Airport and also minutes walking distance from a market, should you wish to purchase some local Ghana crafts/tourist 'stuff'.

On entering the hotel what strikes you immediately is the opulence of the place, it is beautiful. I made my way through the hotel, past the reception, down the stairs, past the grand piano and through the restaurant/lounge and to the pool area. I paid 40cds to use the pool, get a towel and a sun lounger and I stayed for almost 6 hours.

Waiters were on hand for ordering lunch/dinner/snacks as well as drinks (quite an expansive cocktail menu) - - they even assembled a small television through a PA so I could keep tabs on the World Cup.

I ordered a Texan double beef burger with cheese and chips for my main meal - after surviving on rice and beans in northern Ghana for the past 2 weeks I can safely say this hit the spot.
A really relaxing and enjoyable short stay. If I am back in Accra it would be somewhere I would perhaps think to base myself.

One thing I did notice about the place was that it was full of business men types having informal meetings etc. Note too there are also local tradesmen who may approach you on site to sell you paintings, jewellery etc. Not sure if this is strictly allowed in the hotel, but I spoke with one chap who showed me his paintings and ended up buying a really nice piece.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Martin R
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Martin,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We appreciate your positive comments and are pleased you enjoyed your short stay with us.

For your information other facilities we have on site are: an Arts Gallery which sells authentic Ghanaian and African artworks and artifacts; Jewelry shop and Gift Shop.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The main thing about this hotel is pool..just loved to chill out there and drink their beer which is very cheep.Also the food is lovely there. Everything else is ok..staff bit slow but i guess there is no rush for them:)We had the buffe dinner which i liked wery much but not trilled about desserts:\breakfast also fine..pancakes and waffles..yumm.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Sir,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We appreciate your positive comments and are pleased you had a pleasurable stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you again.

NYC
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in April. The location was perfect for me. It was close to the airport and on a main road that I needed to take. I was surprised that the hotel was quite quiet (more on this later) given the amount of traffic on the main road.

I found the hotel to be clean and the staff quite attentive. I was quite happy with the WIFI and the two meals I had at the restaurant were fine. Water pressure in the shower was excellent. The little coffee shop in the lobby makes excellent coffee. There's an excellent tennis center in the back of the hotel in case you want to play.

Only two things I would change: The passageway key-card readers don't work as well as they should, so you have to go back to the reception to reprogram the keys, but it was a minor inconvenience. The other thing was the music around the pool was quite loud and the band was playing until pretty late at night. I wish the band had stopped playing at least 1 hour earlier. It was just a bit much for me. Overall the hotel was quiet when the band wasn't playing.

I would certainly stay at the Golden Tulip again.

Room Tip: Away from the pool as there's a band that plays near the pool. Rooms facing the tennis courts we...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this review, 19 June 2014

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We appreciate your comments and are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

For your information, we are in the process of upgrading our passageway key card readers as well as the key cards to ensure easy access to the rooms.

We have rooms away from the poolside, so we recommend you request for one of those if you do not want to be disturbed by the live band music at the poolside which plays until 10pm.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here on and off for the best part of 20 years since it opened, and as it is mostly still the same, my overriding comment is that its boring.. Rooms are comfortable if getting a little tired. Food is good though, and the pool is welcome after a hot day in Accra. Worst of all is the piped Muzak which can be awful at most times of the day. The bands that perform can be hit and miss. If you're visiting Africa you would probably want to hear some authentic African music, not cheesy western cover versions. Best thing is that the chef would usually prepare a special room service meal for me of steak, jollof rice and palaver sauce !

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel.

We appreciate your comments which helps us to know your concerns in order for us to address them and better serve you.

We have taken note of your suggestions and will incorporate authentic African music in our repertoire of music.

We assure you of a pleasurable stay on your next visit and look forward to welcoming you again.

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Remembering where you are, Golden Tulip is still a good choice - bearing in mind that you will be faced with typical challenges that Ghana is subject too - like you room not being ready & its 6pm.. Having an extra paid guest in the room but no blankets, towels or pillows to accommodate (& to acquire these items is no short of a mission!) Poor internet, random outings of power & so on, I still enjoyed my stay. The rooms were comfortable, the restaurant was great, the bar was great & we even stumbled on a full blown disco (happens every last Friday of the month) which I thought was great too!
All in all, this place was great - remembering where you are!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for taking time to share your experience at our hotel. We appreciate your comments and are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.

We have taken note of your little concerns and assure you of addressing them.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 May 2014

My husband and I had a few issues on one of the previous stays at the hotel and swore we'd never stay there again. However, one night my son's flight back to the States was delayed til 4am and we knew getting a taxi at that hour would be impossible from our house in East Legon so we wanted to stay close to the airport. Holiday Inn was full so we had no choice but to check with Golden Tulip. My husband was attended to by the manager who put us in one of the Chalets. He was very attentive and addressed some of our previous concerns with my husband and assured him that improvements were made and rectified. Our room was very nice, beautiful view of the grounds, comfortable bed and cold AC. A little pricey but compared to hotels charging the same amount, this one is far better. Food in the Branche Restaurant is the best in Accra...just wish we had spent more than one night in that room!! Highly recommended.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Bertha d, Director of Sales at Golden Tulip Accra, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for taking time again to share your experience at our hotel.

We are pleased you had a positive experience and a pleasurable stay with us this time around.

Sales & Marketing Manager

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels