“A REAL home away from home!”

Roots Apartment Hotel
Ranked #4 of 264 Accra B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

It feels like home from the moment I stepped into my unit. Everything seems perfect in this hotel! The room is clean, there is a kitchenette equipped with basic cooking facility to make some simple meals to fill the occasionally growling tummy, the amenities in the room are satisfactory and I even have a very big flat screen TV in my suite’s living hall.

The hotel is strategically located in Osu, which is a stone throw away from lively street market - Oxford Street. The short walking distance to the nearby Shoprite and Koala supermarket facilitates our commute to purchase daily necessities which is a real convenience. It is very easy to get something to munch or something to fill the tummy as there are many fast food joint (KFC, Papaye, Chicken Republic, Chicken Inn, Pizza Inn to name a few), cafés and restaurants on the main street. The stop for an ice cream treat at Frankie’s was irresistible. There are a lot of mobile network providers to register and purchase SIM cards. There are many street vendors selling the top-up cards. There are many money changers too. Woodin, Da Viva and Mercy Ocansey Batik are places to go for fabrics with African motifs or prints.

I was on a business trip and found that the experience staying in this hotel is very different from other hotels that I had stayed in my previous trips to Accra. From the outside, it doesn’t look very grand but the paintwork is good to give it a new feel. My room presents a very contemporary and modern look and feel.

The staffs are very friendly and very accommodating. Check-in process was okay as the check-in staffs were trying to allocate the rooms for my colleagues and there were some miscommunication where some require a twin sharing room. The staffs brought us to our rooms and ensure that the access card can be used. One of the card malfunctioned and it was fixed with a blink of an eye. Simply perfect and wonderful service!

Almost every time when we returned to the hotel, we were greeted by the staffs at the entrance with a great smile and a warm welcome. This is really one of a kind of excellent service experience.

Hotel facilities
There is a panoramic view of the Osu neighborhood from the balcony. The sea can also be seen on the top floor of the hotel where Sky Deli Restaurant served breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks. There is a Purple Café near the lobby for a cup a coffee, internet connection, TV for football viewing in a group and some basic food item on sale. There is a gym on the basement for those who would like a workout. There is a souvenir shop cum café next door that sells local made handicrafts and some food items.

Living Hall
The LCD TV in the living room is big and some choices of TV channels with good reception. I always turn on to CNN channel to keep abreast on the happenings around the world and especially news from home. There is a sofa set in the living hall sufficient for us to entertain our guest; if there are any.

Kitchenette
Basic kitchen utensils and cooking facilities to make a decent and simple meal when the mood to cook strikes. A small refrigerator to house food items that need to be chilled. A long bar table with two high bar chairs for a meal while watching news on the living hall’s TV. There is a cooker hood, built-in hob and microwave oven to facilitate a hot and satisfying meal. A coffee maker and a toaster are also made available. There is also a small kettle to brew coffee and tea. I just have a small complaint where one of the cover to one of the cooking pot is missing; but I just made do with the other bigger pot cover.

Bedroom
The room cleanliness is of very high standard. The bed is super king size which is very comfortable with two supersize pillows and clean warm quilt. There is a long table which can also be used as a working desk and is long enough to place all the electronic gadgets plus a flat screen TV too. There is also a wardrobe which lets us store our clothes and personal belongings.

Bathroom
The bathroom is a perfect place for a relaxing hot shower. There is a bathtub and the water pressure was perfect to drain away the day’s work stress and tiredness. The only downside is sometimes the water from the bathtub area overflows to the floor and stays as there is no water outlet to let the excess water flow out. This made the bathroom floor wet. Hence, the water will have to wait for evaporation process to happen. Albeit this shortening, it provides clean and good quality basic hotel amenities. The towel is clean and smells good too. I did encountered quite a number of times where towels were not provided or only one towel is provided; and this had caused me some inconvenience to call the housekeeping people to get me clean towels.

Wi-fi connection is complimentary to guests. The connections and availability of internet connections are satisfactory. All the electrical appliances are well taken care and in good order.

Complimentary drinking water was only provided as a welcome drink to quench our thirst. No complimentary beverages are provided though.

The room stay also comes with a complimentary breakfast. The breakfast has some good varieties and the food differs a little every day and a vast change when it crossed month. The food presentation is good and is also very scrumptious.

To the team in Rootz Hotel Apartment, please keep up the good job done and continue to maintain the high standards of quality and service level.

I had really enjoyed my stay. The warmth of the staffs and the cleanliness of the hotel really made me feel like home and my 3-weeks stay here seemed to pass in a blink of an eye. Actually, I was contemplating to keep this new found sanctuary to my own knowledge. But I think it will be unfair to the management and staffs as they really deserve all the praise for their job well done.

This hotel really practices their tagline; We call it hotel, you call it home. Hopefully this tagline will continue to be in-forced. And also they are many encouragements to guests to Go Green which is a real good approach by planting many green plants inside and around the hotel. Probably some recycle bins should be placed somewhere within the hotel vicinity for guests and staffs to dispose recyclable items. I noticed that plastic water bottles are a very common disposal item in Accra.

I will recommend this hotel to anyone who opts for good deals and clean rooms. I will definitely return on my next business trip to Accra.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank TeeTham

Reviewed 1 June 2014

the hotel is location in a very good location. service need to be improved. very clean place. for the breakfast - need to refill before food finish but here they only refill after food finish. stayed more than 1 month plus.

1  Thank SubramaniamA
Reviewed 21 May 2014

I stayed here only for the location its perfect and the hotel apartment is very clean worth the money the only problem is the food its not nice at all...which is too bad since its in GHANA!!!!! but the great thing is there is sooo much food option around you since you are located on oxford street. My hubby and I really enjoyed our short stay here we also got upgraded for free!!! will go back again but make sure i make plans for other places to eat!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 weeks in April 2014 while visiting my daughter in Labone. I am so glad I used an agent that knew locations and facilities. The trade offs were perfect for our first family stay. My other daughter came after we left town and stayed down the street at a cheaper place she said was fine but she is 23 year old grad student. My wife and sister in law needed a place very clean, spacious and with a full daily breakfast. They cook eggs to order which was a great surprise.

Internet in rooms was spotty and dependent on where in the room you sat but that isn't unusual for a room with thick walls. We never heard any neighbors which is way better than some 4 star hotels I've stayed in the US even.

Location is great. Just off the Main Street so not overwhelming when walking out but a 2 minute walk to get to the heart of things. Taxi's are omnipresent in Osu so it was easy and cheap to go anywhere. Even easier than public transport in big US cities as long as you know pricing. Hotel staff won't always tell you the rock bottom pricing so be sure to keep asking around and keep driving price down for common trips.

There was a super strong stench form sewer but I wonder if that is an Osu or Accra thing.

Room was huge and comfortable. We had 1 bedroom and brought an air mattress for my sister in law. But she just slept on a huge comfy and semi-firm couch.

In all, I would stay again when I'm not alone and going for cheapness or if on expense account.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank eddiebooboo
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Roots is a well located hotel apartment property. The rooms are well sized with an efficient air conditioning system and comfortable bed. The only downfall really is the cuisine which is very limited with unhealthy international food and the complimentary breakfast was very poor indeed.

Reviewed 2 May 2014

I had a very enjoyable stay in the mid April 2014. The location is very convenient and safe, not too far to the main points of tourist interest. Rooms are nicely decorated, nice bathroom/shower, lots of wardrobe space,only thing missing was a full length mirror for dressing. Fully equipped small kitchen if you feel like cooking or better still getting a take away to eat in your room later like fufu with light soup, and other local dishes not catered at the hotel.The wifi worked 100% all of the time. Customer service very good, certainly not slow, then again this is a hotel not a fast food joint. All the staff I came into contact with were very pleasant and helpful especially the lovely ladies, manager and kitchen staff in the 7th floor restaurant. I enjoyed a varied cooked breakfast, with fresh fruit, delicious fresh fruit juices, and pastries. Something I haven't come across before was having prepaid in full for my stay, I had to pay a further 15% city tax before I could check into the room, don't understand why they just don't add it to the price of the room when you book from outside Ghana or add it to your bill to pay on check out, but they insisted I pay before I could go to my room. A bit annoying when you arrive on a late flight, tired, just want to get to sleep, no local currency and credit card payments have a 2.5% fee slapped on. That's my only little gripe. All in all, I really liked Roots Apartment Hotel and the lovely staff and would stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I stayed here recently for four weeks for business purposes. The property is a very nice, comfortable hotel, with a gym, laundry service (expensive though), café on the ground floor and restaurant on the 7th floor with nice views of the Osu neighbourhood. The layout of the each room/apartment is just great and you have all amenities required for if you wanted to cook (all units come with full kitchen).

The hotel itself is very well-positioned and centrally located. Everything you need is within reach and walking distance. There are many cafes & retail shops nearby. If you need to do some cooking, there is Oxford Street Mall nearby where you can get all your groceries in Shoprite supermarket. For those who is looking for halal restaurants..do look up for Papaye and KFC. Halal food is not a problem here. Even the property uses halal ingredients as the owner is a Muslim.

Just one thing that could make this place an excellent hotel, worthy of 5 stars: Improve the service! It seems endemic here in Ghana where most establishments have a slow or bad service.

Room Tip: The unit which have the balcony - great place to unwind plus extra space to dry your clothes :-)