“Avoid this hotel if you can”
Review of Miklin Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Miklin Hotel
Ranked #62 of 93 Hotels in Accra
Oakland, California
“Avoid this hotel if you can”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I booked this hotel for a two and half week conference for 32 Ghanaian participants. I live in work in Accra Ghana and we had a choice of places to hold this event. The conference was held from June 4th through June 19th. Only 24 participants could stat at the hotel even though we had booked the hotel two months in advance and paid a 50% down payment. The nine who showed up expecting to be lodged at the conference site was taken to another hotel for a week and when asked to come back to the Miklin, the nine refused as the others had complained so much about the facilities. There should have been space available due to our prior booking but for some reason this was not the case. ACs did not work and it took days to repair them. The food was never varied at all and the number of choices of what to eat was very limited. The conference package was $120 USD per day. The internet service was intermittent at best and not up to standards as advertised. All the participants had laptops and the use of the internet was part of the program (training of trainers). Participants complained of lots of mosquitoes in their rooms. The staff was not responsive to issues when they were confronted with something each day and when they did respond, it was like we were imposing something that was unusual. When you have to stay for a long conference like this one, attention should be paid to make the stay enjoyable and that was not the case. Indeed several participants fell ill during their time there. If you have a choice to stay somewhere else do it, as there is very low value for the money spent at this establishment. On a day before the conference started during a planning session in a down stairs meeting room, the AC suddenly spouted water everywhere and since there was no AC controller device in the room, it took quite a while to get someone to stop it and mop up the spilled water. Only some paper products for the conference were damaged, but none the less there were numerous complaints about the ACs malfunctioning or not working at all in the bedrooms as well. This is simply not acceptable for the amount paid.

Room Tip: Don't stay at all
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank DaleRachmeler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Francisco
Reviewed 18 December 2011

postive: clean room, decent restaurant
negative: surly reception staff (more interested in being on Facebook than assisting), poor water pressure in shower, which has a hand held head with nowhere to hang it, loud squeeking plumbing, can't get internet on personal computer (have to use theirs), on Friday night a loud party with people running in the halls and yelling until 2pm.

For 100 cedi a night there are better hotels such as the Errata

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank Michael50

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 27 November 2011

One night before moving out of Accra. The hotel driver was there to meet me (this is not part of chain hotel, so dont look for uniformed driver!) and efficiently brought me to to hotel. Managed to get reasonable soup after arrival late in the night. Rooms clean with AC and TV - adequate.

Breakfast basic; checkout hassle free. However dont expect good accounting (forgot to charge for soup until reminded!). Also make sure exchange rates OK - just that they were careless.

There was a swimming pool etc but no time to swim. Problems with the Internet connection at times but lobby internet was fine.

Reasonable hotel, improved judging from previous reviews.

Room Tip: Rooms around a central "open to sky" appeared OK - difficult to judge as only one night. N...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I stayed here a night and it was like a nightmare. I needed water to drink at about 11:00pm and could not find anyone to sell to me. The reception shuts down before midnight and you are on your own from then on. Breakfast served is the most lousy I have ever had.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
nz
Reviewed 7 April 2007

When we arrived there at 1600 we had to wait for a room. We got a room with a window to the passage inside the hotel. The curtain did not fit the window. The shower had only half a door and a hole in the bottom of the shower. No water and when we eventually got some water you had to jump arround to get wet. The ceiling had huge holes in. The bed, when turned down had long black hairs on the sheets. The floor was so dirty I had to leave my shoes on. When I complained about the lack of water the lady said there is enough water and the little bit that came out of the shower head is what they except as enough. We also had a guy opening our door with a key and walking into the room and then giving the excuse that he though we were out. For $88 US I expect much better as we have payed less than that in Switserland for much better hotels and service, 2 weeks before. We packed our bags and left the hotel after telling the receptionist why and she had a real bad attitude because we were leaving.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — The hairs in the bed
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
5 Thank carine1
London
Reviewed 14 February 2007

Having only travelled twice to this country I asked someone I knew there to recommend a hotel for me and this was one of them. I chose it only because it had a room.

They offer a free service to pick you up from the airport, on arrival to the hotel was shown my room which smelt dank and clammy. The room was clean though and the towels looked clean, I like to check the bed also which didn't smell very nice, still being a guy I did not worry too much about it.

The staff there was very friendly and helpful. If you wanted to use the internet you were charged for this 10,000 cedis for ten minutes. I found the system very slow and annoying, I negotiated a big discount as I was not happy with the service. The computers were in the lobby.

The food was alright. You got a standard breakfast coffee, toast, butter, egg, inclusive, anything extra like beans or sausages you were charged for average 12,000 cedis. I ate at the hotel the meals cost average 100,000 cedis

Stayed September 2006