“A Bit Too Remote (For Business)”
Review of Afia Beach Hotel

Afia Beach Hotel
Ranked #38 of 93 Hotels in Accra
Wakefield, United Kingdom
“A Bit Too Remote (For Business)”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

As per the title this hotel is situated way out of Accra (business area) so as a review on behalf of the business traveller this is not an ideal hotel. However from a travellers point of view this hotel is lovely. Situated close to the beach the apartment "Huts" are very authentic but clean. The meals are good & the staff are friendly. This hotel is situated in a very quiet location with nothing to do within walking distance. I would definitely recommend to anyone seeking a bit of relaxation & tranquility for a few days.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Middlebury, Vermont, USA
Reviewed 24 November 2013

I visit Ghana fairly often, and always leave a day/night in Accra coming in and before leaving to make travel logistics easier. A friend let me know about the Afia and I stayed there on his advice - and I'm so glad I did.

The owner of the hotel is wonderful, and was very helpful/communicative before the trip so I felt confident knowing my room and needs were set.

The Afia is located on the beach and is walking distance from many useful places - banks, the cultural center, etc. - although they will help you find a taxi if you need. Visitors to Accra should know in advance that there is always, always, always horrible traffic and unless you are right next door to the place you want to visit, you'll have to spend a considerable amount of time if you are taking a tax or trotro across town (rush hour is of course worse, but there is always traffic). Knowing this, take a look at the hotel's location on the map before you book so you know where you will be. If you're touring the town and beach area, it's as fine of a place as anywhere else! It's not the closest place to the airport, though, so expect a bit of time to get to and from.

I love the environment - it's inviting, casual but clean and spacious, and there are private tables and chairs out overlooking the beach. That is particularly nice, and because it's a bit of a slope down to the actual sand and water, it's possible to just sit and enjoy the day and maintain some privacy if needed. We felt fine heading into the water to swim, too - good area. I'd suggest leaving everything but your towel locked in your room if you go down to the beach, since as with any beach there are always opportunists waiting to take advantage of someone's mistake. But most of the folks are simply friendly faces enjoying the beach as well.

I felt the restaurant was wonderful. A mix of Ghanaian and Euro-Western dishes, a good beer and wine selection, and a very friendly staff. It's open later than a lot of restaurants in town, which was nice, especially when coming in on a later flight. I love the outdoor seating and fans, and it is always fun to look around and see who is there, and wonder what their story is. While I read that some people felt the service was slow or poor, I think the difference here is that the hotel is more of a locally-centered operation as opposed to an American or British chain. For the reasonable rates the Afia offers, I actually prefer a more personable and connected experience anyway, and like it way better than any of the fancier, western-style hotels I've stayed at in the city.

Rooms - nothing fancy but clean, comfortable, spacious, and there is a TV, mosquito net, and the beds were comfortable. For longer stays there is both room service and laundry too, and if I remember correctly there is a tennis court (usable for a fee, I believe).

I've never had any issues with noise while there - it's off the main road so there is less traffic.

All in all, this is a really sweet place to be, and I'll continue to stay there whenever possible as I travel to Ghana. Me da ase Afia!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
dublin
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Nice hotel with a range of rooms from 100usd single occupancy per night. Right on the beach, which I didn't go to on this occasion. Last time I was here, when on the beach I encountered a pick pocket, when he saw what he had snatched was just a pair of sunglasses, he threw them back at me!

Relaxing at the restaurant backing onto the beach with the sound of the waves is really nice. It definitely contributed to a restful nights sleep. There is an ok choice of food for main meal, plenty seafood which I didn't sample as I am vegetarian. Try plantain or yam chips, delicious with bean stew. Breakfast was excellent (included in the bill), with a wide range of choices, fruit, oats, porridge, muesli, omelette, yoghurt...only criticism of breakfast was that there was no brewed coffee.

I see some reviewers criticise the service, I cannot as I found all staff to be courteous, friendly, helpful - without a trace of obsequiousness. In fact I left a bag with the naira equivalent of 150usd in the reception, it was handed back to me before I noticed it was missing.

I had a more relaxed time here than the Holiday Inn and the Golden Tulip. Next time I come I will stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank QueenCiara
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

If you wan to be zoomed back into the 1960's or the beginning of tourism in Ghana, this appears to be the place to go! And it really has an authentic charm to it. I did not stay in any of their roooms though, but given their price range of USD 70-130 and condition of the premises, I would choose to stay elsewhere.

But the restaurant is worth the vistis! Close to the Artisan Market in the center of Accra, this hotel is situated on the beach. But don't expect to be swimming there. To the right and left there are construction sites or otherwise uninhabitable land. But you do not see this from the restaurant. I enjoyed the breeze and the view onto the ocean, had a nicely prepared Grouper and and a - surprisingly - good espresso. I might go back just for the retro chic and that espresso!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 June 2013

We stayed there as our first stop into Ghana for 2 nights. Pickup at the airport was delayed, as they were picking up another group from a different flight, and had us all squished into a small car. The price was great for the room we got (ocean view). The included breakfast option was very limited. We found the staff not very helpful, and almost irritated when we asked questions and advice for places to go. The room itself was very nice, running hot water, a/c and wifi that worked (for a small price). We would stay there again now that we are familier with Accra and Ghana, but would not recommend it to first timers to the country.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The place is not great but considering the prices in Accra one has to put this on their list. It is a very African style hotel right in the center of Accra. Perfect for a few days of party and celebration. The rooms are adequate and clean. However, the beach is not that nice but that's not why you should choose this hotel.

We would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 7 May 2013

I have been staying there several times in the last 5 years, the quality and service of the hotel has been steadily declining while the rates have gone up. It is a great lottery which room you get, some rooms are still in a good condition, others have their "issues".

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank KasperCPH

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels