“Friendly and safe but needs lots of investment”
Review of Hotel Wangara

Hotel Wangara
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Accra
Hotel Wangara
Ranked #76 of 93 Hotels in Accra
Surrey
“Friendly and safe but needs lots of investment”
Reviewed 7 February 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Wangara for 4 nights Jan - Feb. The location is fine, it is in the Labone area which feels safe and more European than other parts of Accra.
I stayed with my daughter in one of their suites - we found it easy to negotiate a reasonable room rate - which is always expressed in USD and it was an Ok place for two women to stay alone. Frequent taxis in the vicinity take you to the shops and restaurants in Osu or Legon for about 4 cedis (£1.30).
The problem is that it is a dilapidated hotel. It has loads of potential but it feels uncared for and is not well-maintained. The pool is very neglected and cannot be used. That said, the rooms are big, with good en suite facilities and the air conditioning and TV (CNN, BBC) work; in addition the free wifi is good - all really important in Ghana.

Breakfast is inadequate - two slices of white bead with a triangle of processed cheese - no butter, jam, fruit juice or choice. Far better to walk to the top of the road and go to the DeliFrance bakery / coffee shop for good coffee and croissants.

I would go back to the Wangara because I know it is safe.

Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank CatherineSurrey

Couples
Business
Hannover
Reviewed 9 August 2010

location: very good, close to the city centre, to Osu, where all the restaurants are
very quiet and safe neighborhood
service: very friendly, sometimes a bit slow
rooms: big, but veeeery poor maintenance standard, mold in the bathroom, carpet
floor dirty and in bad condition, the hotel strongly needs some investment,
others: hotel has a small outdoor pool, but which I did not use

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank petehey

Travellers are raving about these Accra hotels

London
Reviewed 4 January 2010

I stayed at this hotel for 7 nights. I really don't have any major complaints. A shuttle bus picked us up from the airport. When we arrived at the hotel we was told that the room we had booked was not available and so they upgraded our suite. So that was a very good start to our stay.

Breakfast was included in the cost - which was a very basic meal.

The location was situated in a very nice area (Labone). Even though it isn't located in the centre, it was never difficult getting a taxi outside. As there usually a taxi waiting. However, the only issue we did find is that a lot of taxi's was unsure of the location so on a few occasions we had trouble getting back to our hotel due to the limited address information we could give the driver.

The main recommendation would be that the hotel itself could definitely do with a refurb, as it is currently very dull and gloomy. With a damp smell in the suite. However, it was very clean and the cleaners came by every day.

The staff were very helpful. For an example - one of the staff members was kind enough to lend us his personal phone for a few days to allow us to make essential phone calls. I felt that they generally went out of their way to ensure we had a pleseant stay.

I would defintely stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank Lifesliving
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 6 January 2008

Our large group of travelers stayed at Wangara for one night before departing for USA after our 2 weeks good will soccer tour of Ghana. We paid $90 for one night plus $10 to be able to have a later check out on the follwoing day. This was the highlight of the hotel, they allowed us to keep the rooms until the next day until late 7 or 8 pm as our flight was departing at 11 at night.

The place probably about 20 years ago was a nice place. Most things were broken and old. The sheets on my bed did not seem clean. There was body hair on the sheets. I asked the staff to change the sheets, they told me house keeping had left for the day, I asked if they would give me clean sheets and I would change it myslef, I was told the linen closet has been locked by the house keeping and the rest of the staff had no access to it. They were willing to change my room though and showed me another room that was hot and stifiling, at the end I decided to cover the sheet with my personal clothing items and did not change rooms. The windows did not close probably so mosqutos were coming in and when I pointed that to the hotel staff, they just said I was wrong.

The reastaurnat was an interesting experience. A few of us found cockraoches in the middle of the menu, some alive and some dead ones. So we opted for ordering pizza from a nearby place. I would not recommend anybody staying at this hotel. The location was very good and the front desk people were polite and nice to us.

• Stayed January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank mali2007