AVANI Maseru Hotel
US$71
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
TripAdvisor
All reviewsthe hotel offersthe swimming pool areaword of mouthbooking onlinedecent hotelshopping mallwi firevampupgradingtransitionproximitychallengescountry
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We discovered this hotel based on our guide book and Sat. Nav. for accommodation. Believe it or not, the Maseru Sun was the only one of the several available, and offered a 50% week-end (coinciding with Christmas day) discount, By Lesotho standard, this hotel is excellent, with comfortable, spacious rooms, large swimming pool, cozy lounge and restaurant with lavish buffet spread. Perhaps the staff should be briefed on the special offer to guests; we were supposed to have a free cocktail which the receptionist said we could have at the lounge or restaurant. As none of the staff (lounge/restaurant) was aware of this and the manager on duty was not around to confirm this, we were advised to speak to him the next morning instead of being served the drink!

By
See Toh Chue Peng/Jeremy Savill
Malaysia/United Kingdom

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Seetohchuepeng
Reviewed 15 January 2012

excellent pool, the best outdoor pool in Lesotho. The hotel is in need of a refurb as it is now very dated. The staff are excellent though the choice in the restaurant is poor if you don't eat meat. Try the indian restauant in the basotho hat. Great food.

Reviewed 3 January 2012

I want to preface this by saying that I understand that running a hotel is difficult, that sometimes certain problems are one-time events that are not the norm (and should be given a pass), and that I try to be friendly regardless of the circumstances. I also want to say that a lot of the staff here were perfectly friendly and the pool area was resonably nice, but none of this mitigates the fact that this is a rotten hotel.

First off, it was opened in the late '60s and it looks like it's been shoddily patched and un-renovated since. We arrived and the front receptionist was speaking to a few people, so my husband and I stood in behind them and waited. After about five minutes, we realized they were her friends and just shooting the breeze, and she finally checked us in after making it clear we were taking away from her social time. We got to our room, and the hall outside stank of vomit. The room had one towel (even though there were two beds) and it took them a couple of hours to deliver a second. The power strip, clock, and a good portion of the other things run by electricity didn't work, and the bathroom was collapsing into disrepair. Oh, and here's something you won't hear at the Maseru Sun- "Nice work cleaning up the Maseru Sun." There were cigarette butts and cherry pits littering the balcony, and inside the room was so dirty the only way to tell the room was ready for us was because the beds were made.

We wanted to book a tour or actvity in Lesotho so went down to the front desk. Almost all of the guests at the hotel are locals (which can be a great sign), but as such, they have no ability or interest to help book something, so we had to go online. They have internet access at the hotel, but unlike almost all of the other Southern African hotels we stayed at (at half the price), internet was for a fee and incredibly expensive. With nothing to do for the rest of the day, we decided to check out the casino. After walking around the grounds for a while and unable to find it, we asked an employee where it was. He looked at us like we were crazy- "There isn't one." The Maseru Sun Hotel and Casino (written on all of their signage)doesn't have a casino. Of course.

The buffet was fine, but we witnessed a waitress walk by, drop a handful of silverware on their disgusting carpet, then pick it up and place it on tables. Not that big a deal, but it adds up.

The capper and real problem is that we paid a lot of money for the room. We booked the two-day stay on the hotel's website the day before, but while we were there we saw that they were offering a promotion that included a ticket to their big New Year's party and a room for almost 50% less that what we paid. When we asked why that rate wasn't offered online, they said we should have stopped by and not pre-booked. When we replied that we drove from Swaziland the day before and couldn't have just swung by earlier, the receptionist then said we should have called. Sigh.

If you can get a good rate, have low standards and a high frustration tolerance, and don't mind doing nothing, by all means stay here. Otherwise there seem to be a lot of other really great places in Lesotho, but they are more indie options not on the standard travel booking sites. On day two of the trip we did a pony trek from Semonkong Lodge, who were friendly, competent, and totally pro, even for a remote operation (and the food was awesome). Stay there.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank HanneA
Reviewed 9 December 2011

My room was a nice size, quiet, clean, with a mattress that treated by back well. The breakfast was ample and good. I lunched at the hotel three times. The lunch fare was ok. A better idea for lunch would be the nearby Regal Restaurant. The hotel staff was friendly as were most people that I met in Lesotho. They were a bit laid back in response to one of my requests, but there was not much room to really complain. Although I didn't go swimming, the outdoor pool area appeared to be very pleasant. You have to pay for wifi, but it worked well when I connected in the hotel's bar. To sum things up, there is nothing particularly special about this hotel, but if I were to travel again to Maseru I would definitely book here again.

Reviewed 26 November 2010

The rooms are a bit shabby and suffer form wiring problems. (All my bulbs had blown by the time I had left and I heard other people complaining about theirs as well)
Free wireless which is great, but not great value considering the standard of the rooms.
All in all average.