“Not much to choose from in Maseru”

AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Maseru
Pretoria, South Africa
“Not much to choose from in Maseru”
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The Lesotho Sun is one of the better options if you are staying in Maseru. However, be warned that the reception is pathetic (both checking in and out). The place is also in need do someone with an eye for detail. It has all the right ingredients but it's the little details that are not properly attended to that irritate - like the loose toilet seat, shower door that does not close properly, air conditioning that doesn't work properly - I could go on but who cares?
I have stayed at the Lesotho Sun over the past 20 years. I have also stayed at the sister hotel in the valley (Maseru Sun) so I can vouch that it is the better option.
The food is acceptable - at least there is a choice. The staff are generally helpful (with the exception of the reception).

Room Tip: Most rooms have a view of sorts. However some overlook the roof of the Casino which is laden with no...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MikeMouse2910

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Thai first
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I have mixed feelings about our stay at Lesotho Sun.

We were at the hotel for 2 nights while in Lesotho to attend a friend's wedding. We stayed in a paraplegic room which was located close to the restaurant and bar area.

The room was comfortable and clean. The hotel was conveniently located on a hill with great views. The service was neither here nor there - pretty average. My only contention with our stay was the live music at the bar on weekends. It was loud enough to be heard in our room and the reception area was way to busy for my liking. It appeared that Lesotho Sun was the place to meet people in Maseru over the weekends. If you are looking for peace and quiet, perhaps book elsewhere.

Our friend stayed in a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor and was not as exposed to the noise levels.

I would return to Lesotho Sun if I were able to find a room further away from the bar.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank YesJourney
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed 27 January 2014

First visit to Lesotho and must say that it exceeded my expectations.
The rooms were clean and neat.
The buffet food in the evenings are fantastic as they serve a variety of fresh and indulgent food.
Service at the restaurant is a bit slow and sometimes they forget about your order.
Made a couple of telephone calls, but it was not even charged to my account. Must say if someone uses the phone extensively then it might cost the hotel.

Will definitely make a visit again.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
Bonn, Germany
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Do not get confused with the other Sun Hotel (Maseru Sun), far from having the same standards. Good location with a view over the whole city: the hotel is really quiet. You will need to use taxis. Good gym, with all apparels. Pool is ok. Casino and two restaurants quite good.
Wifi is ok. You can also use cable connection (by using the phone cables). ATM in the casino.
Good place to meet local business contacts.
Personal and service really helpful.

Room Tip: With view on the pool
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alaska_four
Sandton, South Africa
Reviewed 8 January 2014

Unfortunately we were booked into the hotel at the same time as the youth football games. We were given a twin room with single beds which was not that comfortable. It was a pity that the Chinese restaurant did not have a number of ingredients so we had to order 3rd and 4th choice of menu. The cost of the hotel vs what I have paid in Africa elsewhere was a bit high.

Room Tip: request a view of the city
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I was booked into this hotel by the company I work for and I have to say that this hotel has the worst service that I have ever experienced. Upon checking in I was advised that I needed to pay for WIFI (this isn't out of the ordinary for some hotels so I just happily obliged). These are the following issues I experienced with the hotel:

1.The WIFI which I had to pay for hardly ever worked. It was the most frustrating thing as I had now no way of sending out urgent emails to work. Every single time I called reception to tell them of the issue they would just let me know that someone is coming to my room to sort it out. That someone never did materialize.
2. There are no irons in your room so you need to call the laundry department who according to the reception usually don't hear the phone ringing so "you need to just keep calling until someone hears the phone ringing and picks up"! The laundry department then takes those items of clothing and the CHARGES YOU FOR IRONING THEM.
3. I usually don't make any of my hotel bookings myself so I had not tried to contact this hotel prior to my stay but upon my return it has been a mission to even get through to reception as their line seldom gets picked up. The line goes to the switch board where a very apologetic gentlemen tries to figure out where reception is and keeps trying to redirect the call to there.

I am so unimpressed with this hotel's service. The slow service is absolutley appauling and I will not recommend that the company sends myself or our collegues to ever stay here again. Surely, this is not Lesotho's best option.

Room Tip: Be specific if you are a non-smoker that you want a non-smoking area otherwise you will suffer just...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Didintle M

Travellers are raving about these Maseru hotels

Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I've stayed frequently at this hotel because there aren't a lot of options in Maseru but it gets worse every time. The management needs to do something about their staffing or train the staff better.

The reception is the worst I have ever seen in a hotel, and that includes even when compared to small guest houses or smaller hotels that don't even have any star ratings but they consider their customers a priority and try to make an effort -- this is missing at this hotel.

Calling the reception is like calling a foreign country because it takes a long time to get anyone to pick up the phone.....this is worse during the late night hours....but I've had waits of at least 5 minutes of ringing and calling three or four times before it is picked up.

I checked into my room. I called reception and after waiting the interminable period for them to pick up, I finally requested that I need housekeeping to bring me towels since they didn't put them in the bathroom. Sure, madam, I will call them.....I asked if he would call right away since I needed them then, yes madam.

40 minute later, no towels yet. Tried calling again and after 10 minutes of trying I decided to the the short route and go myself. There was 1 person manning the desk, with at least 5 guests trying to check in and myself and another guest coming to request assistance.

When he paid attention to me, I asked for housekeeping to be called again for my towels and for them to clean the bath since there are ants running around the bath. This time, I waited for him to call them before I left. Off to my room to wait for housekeeping.....

A lady rang my room bell 5 minutes later with cleaning supplies but no towels! When I asked about the towels she told me she would bring them later! That was the last straw and I decided it was high time to submit a review and have guests show their views of the service at this hotel. What kind of 4 star hotel treats its guests like this? Almost 2 hours after I checked in and I can't do the most basic thing a guest does when first arriving at a hotel.....freshen up with a bath or shower.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank Cassandra d
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maseru
AVANI Maseru Hotel
#2 of 9 in Maseru
Botleng Guest House
Botleng Guest House
#1 of 27 in Maseru

Been to AVANI Lesotho Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!