“Not that bad”
Review of Hotel Provident

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Monrovia
Hotel Provident
Ranked #11 of 17 Hotels in Monrovia
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I transferred Metropolitan Plaza Hotel to this one and was extremely happy for the move. For just a few $ more per night I was able to get hot water and a comfortable bed. I stayed in a suite so maybe some of the other rooms aren't as nice. The biggest problems were that I often wasn't given new rolls of Toilet Tissue and so had to buy my own down the road. The menu could use some variety as I was there two weeks and every morning they served the same thing, eggs, hotdog, bread and occasionally a banana. The staff were very friendly and made my trip worthwhile. The security even took me out at night to get food when I needed it. The beach was pleasant and I felt safe enough in the neighborhood to walk there alone at least twice a day. While a little investment into making improvements would greatly benefit this hotel, overall my stay was comfortable. Power and water did shut off at times as they were doing construction but toward the end of my trip they completed this and things got better. Now they just need to do some improvements on the rooms. Whenever I had a complaint they were pretty service oriented in trying to fix it, getting me fresh towels, helping with the internet connections, etc. According to my budget this hotel was a nice solution.

Room Tip: Go for a suite, it's worth the upgrade.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 5 December 2012

This government needs to shut this hotel down ... DO NOT STAY IN THIS HOTEL!!!
this hotel is rundown, very dirty. over priced. staff was nice and helpful but it better not to even stay here even one night. lights go of and on. washrooms are a mess. This place is a pure dump and you will not get what you pay for at this hotel.

Room Tip: Don't stay in this hotel... pure rip off!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
7  Thank blkwinguy
HotelProvident, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Provident, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2013

Hello,
I deeply regret that you met our hotel in such poor conditions. Thanks to reviews like these we have shut down floors of the hotel for renovation.

I am pleased to hear our staff is improving it's service. We have been re-training them as well as a part of the efforts to improve Hotel Provident as a whole.

Please send me an email at garnett.nykita@gmail.com. If you're in Monrovia again, I would like to make it up to you. I understand there is no way to reverse your experience but I do believe I could assist in making your next trip to Liberia a better one.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Hotel Provident Marketing

Reviewed 29 June 2012

This Hotel of all the Hotels in the Monrovian Area has a lot of problems. The staff was helpful but the management was not. Rooms are run down and dirty and the food was cold and bad. I come to this area about three to four times and year and will NEVER stay here again

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Ben S
HotelProvident, Manager at Hotel Provident, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Hi Ben,
I truly regret to hear of such a poor experience with us. I am thankful for your feedback and glad to let you know that we have updated our rooms, improved our management and food service.

We would be pleased to have you again and would like to offer a hot delicious complimentary meal. If interested please email me at garnett.nykita@gmail.com. Thank you.

Hotel Provident Marketing

Reviewed 5 March 2012

This is a good hotel by Monrovian standards. Hot water, wifi, breakfast included in the price ($133.50) which includes fruit, and a good tv connection to see Al-Jazeera. Another good thing is that it is about only 100 m from a pleasent beach.

On the bad side, when paying, they gave me my change in Liberian dollars, using a rate of 60 to one when it should be 75 to one in a bank. I told the lady at the counter that I felt I was being robbed and that a 25% exchange rate commission was absolutely unacceptable. She responded that she had instructions to use that rate. This got the better of me and I told her that every other hotel in Monrovia uses a rate of 70 and that I would denounce their abusive practice. She went to the admin office and came back with the rest of my change using an exchange rate of 70. Fair enough but I am unlikely to come back because I had to shout to get out of an abusive situation.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 January 2012

All things are relative and as such, the Provident is OK. The staff is friendly and helpful. Rooms are a bit shabby but clean. Hot water was there, but very low pressure. Room was quiet. Wifi worked. Laundry was returned promptly. Breakfast (included in room price) was served quickly...but very limited choices. Restaurant dinner menu very limited (fish or chicken, fried rice with fish or chicken) Beer was never warm but never quite cold. There are more pleasant places for the price but if there are no other choices, it is no hardship at all to stay here.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank TeDigo
Reviewed 23 January 2011

What can I say about a Hotel that does not understand that you must have clean rooms for its customers. The place has a very "BAD" smell to it. I talk to the manager and he told me the owner does not give them any pay and that he and his wife just come to get the daily deposit. I feel that what I pay for my room I would get better service and a much clean room like most hotels. I have been to this part of Liberia and this must be the Hotel you must stay away from. I would never staty at this Hotel and I will tell anyone I know who is comming to Monrovia to stay away

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank FrenchMan064
HotelProvident, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Provident, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

I sincerely apologize for such a horrific experience. Having this kind of review helps The Hotel Provident family improve.

Hotel Provident prides itself on being a Liberian family owned business with ethical practices in our community. I am so sorry that you were misinformed & apologize for the lack of professionalism of our former staff. Also, please accept my apology for the lack of the great experience I know we can offer.

I understand that your time here cannot be replaced but please email me at garnett.nykita@gmail.com so we may discuss anything that can be done on your next trip to Monrovia. Thank you.

Hotel Provident PR/Marketing Manager

Reviewed 16 December 2010

I have been all over the world and this is a hotel you must stay away from.
The management and staff have no clue on how to run a hotel.
The room were dirty and smell. You ask if they could fix the smell that was in my room
and they just sit around just talking about how bad the owner is and how
he and his wife do not pay the staff and are they care about just getting your money for the stay.
The food we had I would not feed this to my brother pigs it was that bad.
If I am ever do come back to Liberia I will stay away from this Hotel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank 345,768

You deserve a far better experience than that. I am so sorry. I am happy to report that we have worked on and are continuing to amend our owner, management & team communication.

A lot of progress has happened in two years. Please come see for yourself and I will do my very best to ensure that you receive our much improved services. If interested please email me at garnett.nykita@gmail.com. Thank you.

Hotel Provident PR/Marketing Manager