“Excellent accommodation for the destination”

RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Monrovia
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent accommodation for the destination”
Reviewed 7 June 2014

I was staying in this hotel 3 nights and I can say for the destination this hotel is out of this world... However of course this is very relative to the rest of Monrovia with its lack of infrastructure. Rooms are mostly clean /well maintained with good air con. Bearing in mind there are so many insects outside of your room it provides a nice escape from it all. The room has a safe deposit box which I suggest you unlock before your flight home as it would take 4 hours to open if there is a power cut in the hotel. There is a good fridge and wifi which is slower than in developed countries but convenient to have. Staff of this hotel is lovely, especially guys serving food. There is an outdoor pool and direct access to the beach which is well maintained. Free breakfast in the morning is very good too complete with fresh fruit and freshly made omelettes :)

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank Emil A
RJPeck, General Manager at RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 21 August 2014
Dear Emil,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We always appreciate such positive feed back.

I am delighted you enjoyed you stay with us and found us such a lovely destination within Liberia. We are very lucky to be in such a unique location on such a beautiful beach. I'm also glad you found the rooms to be of such a high standard and found our Breakfast and fresh egg station to be so much to your liking.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back when you next return to Liberia.

Kind Regards,
GM RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Accra, Greater Accra, Ghana
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Arriving in Monrovia, we stayed at RLJ for one night. I immediately jumped into the pool, which is somewhat modelled on the infinity pool concept. It was cool and relaxing, with an ocean view. I spent half a day in the spa which was an excellently managed facility. I had three treatments done, and felt confident in the services provided. The massage set me up for a week's trip to upcountry Liberia -- my back was full of knots. My husband and I loved the food in the Posh Restaurant. It was delicious and very reasonably priced. Next morning's breakfast was a great surprise -- lots of choice and beautifully presented buffet. Restaurant staff are great! The rooms were OK, but I was not very comfortable with the bathroom which was not closed in. Therefore, my bathroom noise could be heard by my husband in the bedroom and vice versa -- not enough privacy, even for a married couple. We also noted that the bedrooms were set up for singles -- one towel, one glass, one chair, etc. Then we discovered that lots of airline staff stay overnight between flights. This makes sense because the hotel is close to the airport. Our room smelled like old smoke, which also makes sense because lots of the airline staff smoke, even though it is prohibited in the rooms. We tried to get a reservation on the way out, but couldn't. Too bad. We loved the outdoor scenery, pool, spa and restaurant. Value for money at $250.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room near the Beach Bar -- the view of the garbage cans is off-putting.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Nancy D
RJPeck, General Manager at RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 7 October 2014
Dear Nancy,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor. We really do appreciate the feed back.

I'm so pleased that you had such an excellent visit with us. It really does make all the hard work worth while. I shall pass your comments on to all my Team here. I am especially glad that you so enjoyed our Spa and treatments and that your Husband loved our food offerings. My Chefs always enjoy such positive praise.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to Liberia on your next visit.

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed there 10th May 2014 lovely stay ,nice rooms,lovely food,lovely staff,beach was nice and relaxing nice clean grounds rooms were lovely loads of TV channels to choose from ,cleaned on a daily basis ,would recommend ,food was excellent the lobster was to die for and very reasonably priced."....................................................... .......................................................................................
Thanks

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank c2mjk
Dear Guest,

I shall look forward to welcoming you back to Liberia on your next visit.

Tralee, Ireland
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Booked in here for a two night weekend gourmet package
It is two thirds of the way between Roberts airport and monrovia
You could negotiate a taxi for 20 usd from airport
Of course English is the language here
Note Roberts airport is very far out about 40 kms
Pleasant helpful staff
Lovely rooms
Although when I was shown to mine it wAs not cleaned at all from last guest and the same with the second one!
Had lunch
Finally got a ready one and it was very nice
Lovely bed
Great quite ac
Great wifi
Lovely bathroom
Great beach but not swimmable due to severe currents
Very nice pools though
One an infinity pool
The food here is excellent although the breakfast could have been better
Note when you have the signature lobster platter,the starter or desert is extra!
The security staff are excellent and will sort out what you need
Didn't try gym or spa
Fairly good value when meals included
Single room in grand hotel in city is 250 usd a night alone
The Sunday brunch was Mexican and disappointing though
There are only a few other hotels and monrovia city itself has little to offer
People are very nice though and it felt very safe
Airport crew stay here too on their long overlays
Recommended
No problem with credit card and no surcharge
Having to get a visa for Liberia is a hassle and should be scrapped,or on arrival if they want tourists
Beware of a girl called Lynda who hangs out in outside pool area
She is very pushy and erratic!
Enjoy Liberia

Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank samboDublin
Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting you comments on TripAdvisor. Feed back is always welcome and vital in the Hospitality Industry.

Firstly may I apologize over the confusion with the room on arrival, this is most certainly not up to our standards, but I am pleased to see we did get it right in the end and that you found the room so much to your liking. We have worked very hard at ensuring our facilities are in keeping with a 4* International hotel and I am delighted you found this the case.

We have recently upgraded and changed much of our food offerings and I do hope that when you get the chance to return we will be able to discuss these changes and see if they are more to your tastes.

Once again thank you for your comments.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 24 April 2014

My experience at RLJ was wonderful. This hotel is by far the very best in Liberia. The Beach Resort property is elegant and first class in all areas, i.e. Rooms, Dining, Pool, Beach. More importantly the team of staff members are very committed to ensuring your every wish or need is met. The beach is fabulous and well maintained. Security is top notch to ensure all guests are safe and secure. I felt as if I were family staying here and treated as such!

The food was delicious. Breakfast buffet offered many selections from fresh omelets and waffles to fresh fruit and juices.

Hopefully I will be successful in securing accommodations when I return in May!

God Bless the RLJ Team for a great Business/Leisure visit to Monrovia!

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice, but I loved waking up to the rising sun and requested a room facing...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank MdgWINDYCITY
RJPeck, General Manager at RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear Margaret,

Thank you for such a lovely review and for calling us the " ... very Best Hotel in Liberia". It is what we strive for and its so very nice to see that we got things just right for you.

We have come quite a long way I feel since the turn of the year and we have really concentrated on speed, accuracy and good customer service. We have also upgraded our food offerings for Breakfast and now have a new lunch and dinner menu. I shall look forward to hearing your comments on your return.

Once again thank you.

GM RLJ Kendeja resort & Villas
New York
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Very nice and clean, pool and beach. Friendly staff most especially the ones I met at the Cocktail party. food taste excellent. Bravo to the chef, and The General manager Rod peck. Very nice place to go on vacation and feel like home. This is the best hotel I visit since my stay in Liberia. The management is doing there best to keep their Guests happy. I understand the Sunday situation you guys are fixing, but that ok.

Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Miguel M
RJPeck, General Manager at RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Dear Miguel,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on TripAdvisor. We really do appreciate your feedback.

I am delighted to have had a chance to meet you personally and that you had such a relaxing stay at our beautiful location down on the beach facing the Atlantic Ocean. I am also pleased that you felt like it was a home form home and enjoyed our food offering. We do try to cater for all our guests tastes.

I shall look forward to meeting you again on your next stay in Liberia.

Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 18 March 2014

I visited the hotel twice for an afternoon, the hotel was a lovely get away from the city, the food was fine, the atmosphere was relaxing. the pool was good. The waves are a bit strong for swimmers so most people just stick to the beach.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank masukuma
RJPeck, General Manager at RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas, responded to this review, 23 April 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that you had such a nice visit with us and thank you for you compliments regarding our setting and the service offered. We do try very hard to ensure that we look after all our guests.

I shall look forward to welcoming you back again the next time you travel from Kenya.

Roderick Peck
Also consider these accommodations in or near Monrovia
Palm Spring Resort - Liberia
#9 of 16 in Monrovia
Libassa Ecolodge
Libassa Ecolodge
#1 of 1 in Ben Town

Been to RLJ Kendeja Resort & Villas? Share your experiences!