“Was (still is?) a very good hotel of Tripoli”
Review of Thobacts Hotel

Thobacts Hotel
and 1 more site!
Thobacts Hotel
Ranked #12 of 27 Hotels in Tripoli
Thessaloniki, Greece
“Was (still is?) a very good hotel of Tripoli”
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I visited in December 2010, don't know in what condition it might be now after the nato strikes. It was new very clean and well decorated. the breakfast was good. One thing I really didn't like is that you couldn't open the windows of the room for fresh air

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Arabic first
Namur, Belgium
Reviewed 27 November 2010

The review here about the traffic noise slightly worried me, so when I booked into the hotel, I asked for a room at the back. Also, be be certain, I took earplugs with me. Even though I stayed at the back, I did need the earplugs, because the hotel kitchen was downstairs... This was the only problem I had at this hotel. The room was clean, both the local staff and the Filipino personnel are very friendly, which seems to be the standard in Libya, as they do not know mass tourism. There is now room service which offers more than sandwiches. Also, there's a minibar in the room (or at least the one I stayed at). Wifi is not very fast, but it'll do. It tends to get slower as the day progresses.

When you walk to the center of the city, there is a terrace at the right which belongs to a local soccer club. It's a nice place to watch the people passing while drinking a cup of tea. Also, opposite the hotel is a fairly good pizza place, I don't know the name but they have some pretty heavy wooden furniture.

There are always some taxi drivers hovering near the entrance. Try to avoid them if you can, because their prices will be inflated. Our group made the error of choosing one of those guys to go to Leptis Magna (or "Lubda", as it is known in Arabic). We paid about 150 dinar (about 100 euro) to go there, have him wait for us, then drive us back again. That could have been done for less, with a driver who is less obnoxious. :)

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Reviewed 13 August 2009

The rooms in the hotel are very small indeed, the service is very slow, don't expect anything to happen quickly as it won't. I stayed in a room on the 1st floor at the front of the hotel for 2 nights and out of the two nights I think I was lucky to sleep two hours! the hotel is on a main street in Tripoli, the traffic never stops 24 hours a day and the car horns also keep going no stop throughout this time!
Overall an average hotel but you need a room at the back of the hotel...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
Dubai
Reviewed 5 July 2009

1-year-old hotel, clean restaurant and rooms, rooms and beds are very small; room service is limited to sandwiches. Checkout time 12 noon or you will pay for late checkout.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business
London England
Reviewed 6 January 2009

I recently spent 4 nights in the Thobacts. Before I arrived I was rather concerned to see it was on a major artery into Tripoli, quite close to the main Green Square. I thought I'd have to ask for a room at the back, regardless of the often dismal view that results. Pleasantly surprised at the quiet when I went into my room; I opened the curtains and looked down on the main road but all sound was totally muffled by a double skin of insulation. Almost TOO quiet, tomb-like, and impossible to open the window but preferable to the alternative. The A/C was set at the right level, quiet, unnoticeable, so I left it strictly alone - I've found from past experience that generally no-one can show you how it works and I'm non-techie.

Good points:
- the bed was reasonably soft, not the rock-hard norm for hot countries. The bedding - duvets, sheets etc - was confusing to British eyes but all immaculately clean so I worked out how to adapt it to my needs.
- plenty of surfaces for your necessaries, guide-books, camera, day-bag, water bottle, mobile phone charger etc.
- good handbasin with rail under lip for towel, overnight washing etc. Also hook for hanging toilet bag, robe etc. Good towels. Slippers.
- perfect size for single traveller (maybe a little tight for 2, though I believe there were bigger rooms).
- breakfast had good variety though I avoided most of the cooked options.
- efficient lifts. Charming and smiling staff, though rather less efficient than the lifts. Room service rapid - but the hotel was fairly empty.

Criticisms:
- writing table needs a lamp. I suspect they could provide one if asked.
- shower rather small, soap tray awkwardly placed.
- took me 2 days to get the safe opened - it had been left shut by previous guest and the only man who had the key was on his day off . Make sure its open when you arrive. Heaven knows what you'd do if you forgot your code!!
- no safety chain on the door - twice staff knocked then opened door before I could get there and found me under-dressed...

Overall I was very happy at Thobacts and would certainly return.

• Liked — Quiet but central
  • Disliked — Small shower
  • Stayed December 2008