“Easily the best boutique hotel in Libya”
Review of El Khan

El Khan
Ranked #5 of 21 Tripoli B&B and Inns
Cairo, Egypt
“Easily the best boutique hotel in Libya”
Reviewed 14 November 2012

I stayed two weeks and really loved the place - very friendly and helpful staff, extremely tastefully decorated rooms and lobby, quite central location (no suitcase dragging, your taxi can drop you right at the doorstep). The only downsides: restaurant is overprized for what it offers (good, but not excellent food) and breakfast stays well beyond the otherwise exeptional level of this hotel - boring toast, jam and yoghurt, terrible coffee. And yes, mobile phone connection can be very bad, better to have one of the rooms on the first floor.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank J V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
nyc
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I stayed at the El-khan for 80 days and could not have been a happier traveler. The staff became my Libyan family, keeping me comfortable and making me laugh. The hotel is beautifully and tastefully appointed, full of lovingly, carefully chosen antiques and artifacts. It is endlessly photographable. I loved being in the medina where I could walk easily my favorite cafe at the Marcus Aurelius arch and Casa. There is always another zenga to explore and just about anything I needed was within a very quick or at least reasonable walk. The hotel neighbors were friendly and even the shop keeper at the local deli began treating me like I belonged. The children would greet me with a chorus of hellos after figuring out that I spoke English. Lastly, the menu at Tajeen is wonderful, but my favorite were the tuna sandwiches the chef made, tailored to both my mild American palette and my more adventurous Libyan colleagues' preference for lots of harissa.

Room Tip: If wifi and cellular phone access is important to you, ask for one of the rooms in the front above r...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank sharon l
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 20 September 2012

For the intrepid traveler, a delightful surprise awaits in Tripoli, Libya, in the form of the El Khan Hotel in the midst of the Medina, or old city. It is a first-class hotel without the glitter and lack of personality of the nearby 5-star hotels. It's a family-run, utterly charming and well-maintained. The rooms are wonderful, the food is superb, internet access is excellent and free, and the service was unfailing during the five days of my stay in September 2012. If you are going to visit Tripoli, this is the place to stay. Nearby is a Roman victory arch, with an excellent outdoor restaurant, as well as a coffee/shisha place. You can't lose.

Room Tip: You can a larger room for the same price as a smaller one, if available. Be sure to ask.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Joost H
Co Clare
Reviewed 21 July 2012

I stayed in the El Khan in 2009. At that stage it was just up and running and Mr Arif had plans for a pool and restaurant. We stayed in the hotel at the beginning and end of our tour. It was the perfect place to stay in Tripoli; at the edge of the Medina, where strolling around made one feel like a local. I have great memories of sitting on the comfy cushions in the courtyard, drinking mint tea and chatting to the owner, as frankincense burned in a huge brazier. I also remember the sound of Ehab the waiter banging on the great wooden front door, as he arrived with the fresh bread for our breakfast. No wonder when we came back the second time we smiled as we were welcomed 'home'. A lovely hotel, in a great location. If I'm lucky enough to get back to Libya - and I hope to - the El Khan will be the first place I go to. (just a note - I've had to fill in a date on this review and it doesn't go back to 2009 so I've put in Feb 2012)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank AphroditeCoClare
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Just back from Tripoli where I spent a week at the El Khan, Charming boutique hotel in the Medina. Couldn't do better in location. Staff were outstanding. Recommend it highly.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2011

Great to stay in a hotel with character as well as comfort. To step in from a narrow street in the old town is to enter a world of calm and a feeling of space. The rooms are individually designed and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Very convenient for local restaurants that are reasonably priced and serve excellent food. Shopping in the adjacent markets of the old town is delight with no hassle and no haggling over the prices.

• Stayed January 2011
Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in the very beginning of January. The hotel is in a great position, in walking distance of everything - the souk, the museum, Green Square etc. We had 3 rooms in all and they were all large and very comfortable. The staff were all very friendly and helpful and they definitely served the best breakfast in Libya.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with family