“Great 4 star option in Tripoli!”
Review of Bab Al Bahr Hotel

Bab Al Bahr Hotel
Ranked #19 of 27 Hotels in Tripoli
Reviewed 13 May 2012

I visited the Bab Al Bahr Hotel yesterday. I heard before that it was quite rundown, but found that they have pretty recently renovated the hotel from the 7th floor up. This hotel has one of the nicest views of any hotel in Tripoli as it sits overlooking the beautiful Mediterranean coastline! It is also not far from downtown Tripoli, so the location is good. The swimming pool is supposed to open again soon, it has a decent fitness room, has a huge conference room as well as other small meeting rooms, it seems to have good security, and there is an ATM machine in the lobby. I only saw the renovated rooms, but they were clean and nicely decorated. The only noticeable downfalls were that the TV in the suites were in an unusual location on a side wall and the sheets looked wrinkled and not well pressed (but they were clean!)...but other than that, it was great, and I would highly recommend it as a good 4 star option in Tripoli!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Bab Al Bahr Hotel

Reviewed 14 November 2011

I stayed in Bab el bahr for a conference for 4 days.
The rooms are spacious, the staff are very friendly.
The buffet is nice, away from strange Libyan food.

You will definitely enjoy the view.
The hotel is not far from shopping mall and historical places.

Dont expect more than nice stay for short time.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MoustaphaRamadan
Reviewed 10 February 2011

THIS HOTEL HAS BEEN RENNOVARTED AND IT IS GREAT. i was in Libya for a conference and stayed here for 8 days. I arrived 3 days prior to the start so myself and about 50 of the 300 plus attendees had the hotel to ourselves. i saw the staff when there were just a few of us and when it was packed with people from all over the world. We spoke at least 10 different languages. THE STAFF WAS FABULOUS. We were fed 3 greeat meals a day. It is unfortunate so many travelers believe if one does not speak English there is a problem. My room had a terrace with table and 2 chairs and overlooked the city and the water on each side.

You are within walking distance of the street vendor;s market and across the street from a park with grass. There is a new Marriott at the end of the block but I liked this hotel.

There is free internet in the lobby. What I liked is there is no liquor. Thyere is also no television in the lobby and this was great/ Libya is a very beautfil place. Would I go again. I am looking forward to it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Justineisu
Reviewed 21 December 2009

Description is limited to plain English - true expression would require Anglo Saxon or worse.
Had four attempts to get me a room which was not already occupied! One person (a lady I think) was in the shower!!!
AVOID THIS PLACE!
But your stories would make a good dinner party even better.
VDC

• Stayed: December 2009
4  Thank VDCYork
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Terrorists must keep banking hours as the baggage screening went off duty at night and there seemed to be no control on the doors. Our room still had poo in the toilet and unmade bed etc from previous guest so room was changed. On returning, the door-key needed reprogramming which was done by security; which was unfortunate because after midnight someone came in with suitcase having been checked into our room!!! Then reception phoned to ask who was in the room; imagine the warm conversation we had. There was no bolt or chain which we could activate inside the room, but the intruders disappeared when they realized it was occupied.
In the morning it was obvious that the computer had completely lost track of the allocated rooms as they asked our tour leader to say which rooms we had been in. Needless to say we had better things to do - like get to the airport.

• Stayed: December 2009
1  Thank nostromo1944
Reviewed 14 April 2009

But its a bit run down now. The staff are abviously government employees and don't seem to enjoy their job. A bit depressing. The entire hotel was evicted with less than 24 hours notice due to a conference booking when I was there.
Food was fairly bland other than the Libyan soup (nice!). Slow internet service only available in lobby. Nice sea views.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 February 2009

The property is run down and uncared for. The sea in front of the hotel must be the depository of waste from all over the area, as the sea breeze was incredibly foul at times. Food-wise, I only tried the breakfast which was ok, with a fair amount of choice, but coffee is nescafe and sometimes we had to wait for a seat.

The rooms are fairly spacious, but tired and not all that clean. The bathroom in my room was in desperate need of renovation, but at least I didn't have cockroaches running around everywhere, which my colleagues complained of. There is a hairdryer, but no plug in the bathroom and the cord is not long enough to reach the plug outside the bathroom. I had a seaview room, but the windows don't seal properly so there was a howling noise all through the night - bring ear plugs. Unlke what another reviewer said, there was CNN, BBC World, TV5, Fox movies etc on TV, but no remote control.

The staff are nice but bored, unhelpful and unable to do things in any other way than what they are used to. For example, they wouldn't let us complete the check-out procedure the night before our departure, even though we were leaving at 6am the next day. They also demanded payment in cash in advance - there is a bank in the hotel, but it keeps banking hours and the ATM did not work - and the bill is entirely in Arabic, which they may or may not be able to translate for you.

We were told before our trip that there's no middle way between the Bar-Al-Bahr and the Corinthia, but on arrival we were told by our Libyan business associates that there are plently of boutique hotels which are much better. I would strongly advise you to find those and avoid this throwback to the Soviet Union.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)