Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
See what travellers are saying:
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 December 2009

Terrorists must keep banking hours as the baggage screening went off duty at night and there seemed to be no control on the doors. Our room still had poo in the toilet and unmade bed etc from previous guest so room was changed. On returning, the door-key needed reprogramming which was done by security; which was unfortunate because after midnight someone came in with suitcase having been checked into our room!!! Then reception phoned to ask who was in the room; imagine the warm conversation we had. There was no bolt or chain which we could activate inside the room, but the intruders disappeared when they realized it was occupied.
In the morning it was obvious that the computer had completely lost track of the allocated rooms as they asked our tour leader to say which rooms we had been in. Needless to say we had better things to do - like get to the airport.

Date of stay: December 2009
1  Thank nostromo1944
Reviewed 14 April 2009

But its a bit run down now. The staff are abviously government employees and don't seem to enjoy their job. A bit depressing. The entire hotel was evicted with less than 24 hours notice due to a conference booking when I was there.
Food was fairly bland other than the Libyan soup (nice!). Slow internet service only available in lobby. Nice sea views.

Date of stay: April 2009
Reviewed 13 February 2009

The property is run down and uncared for. The sea in front of the hotel must be the depository of waste from all over the area, as the sea breeze was incredibly foul at times. Food-wise, I only tried the breakfast which was ok, with a fair amount of choice, but coffee is nescafe and sometimes we had to wait for a seat.

The rooms are fairly spacious, but tired and not all that clean. The bathroom in my room was in desperate need of renovation, but at least I didn't have cockroaches running around everywhere, which my colleagues complained of. There is a hairdryer, but no plug in the bathroom and the cord is not long enough to reach the plug outside the bathroom. I had a seaview room, but the windows don't seal properly so there was a howling noise all through the night - bring ear plugs. Unlke what another reviewer said, there was CNN, BBC World, TV5, Fox movies etc on TV, but no remote control.

The staff are nice but bored, unhelpful and unable to do things in any other way than what they are used to. For example, they wouldn't let us complete the check-out procedure the night before our departure, even though we were leaving at 6am the next day. They also demanded payment in cash in advance - there is a bank in the hotel, but it keeps banking hours and the ATM did not work - and the bill is entirely in Arabic, which they may or may not be able to translate for you.

We were told before our trip that there's no middle way between the Bar-Al-Bahr and the Corinthia, but on arrival we were told by our Libyan business associates that there are plently of boutique hotels which are much better. I would strongly advise you to find those and avoid this throwback to the Soviet Union.

Date of stay: February 2009
Reviewed 20 January 2009

Hopefully some day there will be some decent hotels in Libya that are run to western standards, but until then you will either have to pay $600 for the Corinthia, or put up with these old Libya hotels.

My review is tainted by the fact that somewhere along the way (not at the Hotel) I contracted food poisoning, and so I saw a lot of the inside of the bathroom, which in my case just barely functioned. Taking that into account though, and being fully prepared for the worse, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised by the fact that room was fairly clean. The bathroom was in greatest need of upgrade with a lot of mildew in the shower and worn fixtures.

Restaurant was basic, but clean and offering a fair selection of items in a buffet. There was a nice tea room in the lobby with accomodating and friendly staff, serving decent tee and coffee of all types.

Insist on a room facing the sea, which is right there - I opened my balcony doors at night and enjoyed the gentle breeze of the sea all night mosquito free. The other site of the hotel looks over chaos that is Tripoli, and is MUCH less inviting.

Here's the biggest problem: Despite having a 7 day reservation we were advised on day three that they were evicting us from our rooms, as the government had a huge delegation coming and needed the rooms - "Sorry, that's the way it is here". As there were no other rooms in Tripoli that week, we panicked! Finally by just refusing to leave they granted us another night, then another threat of eviction - we found someone symphathetic to our cause and we were granted another stay. Unbelievable.

I would say that this is comparable to a 40 year old road side motel in Canada, that hasn't been properly maintained.

Date of stay: November 2008
Reviewed 9 August 2008

Very basic hotel. Rooms are clean but extremely basic. No western channels on the tv and the rooms are noisy since they are right next to the beach. Dont be surprised to hear children on the beach into the small hours of the morning. The libyans seem to come alive later in the day as the heat dies down.

I never tried the food at this hotel but i never saw anything that appealed to me. I would only recommend this hotel is money is tight. However, if you are on a business trip i would say go to the Corinthia which is light years better.

Date of stay: July 2006