“Outstanding experience ,full of character , really caring staff and accommodating .”

Le Pavillon de l'Emyrne
Ranked #16 of 59 Hotels in Antananarivo
Reviewed 9 January 2013 via mobile

We had one last night in Madagascar after a month of adventures on our honeymoon . We were upgraded into their biggest room which was full of character . The breakfast was delicious and the hotel was a real haven of peace and tranquility in the middle of Tana which we were not that crazy about . The day of our departure my wife really struggled with stomach cramps , the flight to Europe was not until 2 am and we requested to rent a room at a friendly price for a couple of hours so that she could lie down . The manager at 7 pm did not hesitate and offered it for free which we were incredibly grateful for. This is a place that has soul and deserves their success.

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank ecopreneur01

Reviewed 14 November 2012

We were not looking forward to our 2 day stay in Antananarivo but this hotel soon changed our mind. A hotel with great character we had an apartment with a terrific balcony. The staff were fun and friendly. The breakfasts were some of the best we had in Madagascar. Around the hotel are some very good restaurants. Highly recommended.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank westcorktravellers
Reviewed 11 November 2012

Great value hotel (with the exception of extortionate airport taxi transfers – best to look elsewhere to book these). The location is brilliant, with several of Tana's best restaurants within walking distance (some also deliver to the hotel) and the historic house/building where breakfast (included) is served is beautiful. The best perks of this hotel for us were the lovely terrace area, and free daily pedicures/manicures. The staff were exceedingly friendly and patient.

Room Tip: Request a suite in the new part of the hotel with a terrace
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 November 2012

Beautiful room, very clean with loads of character. Breakfast was excellent, great variety and even got fried eggs as a bonus, the only hotel that offered this during my 2 weeks in Madagascar. Immaculate bathroom facilities and wifi connection was simple to make, and the help offered by Fanirina of reception was absolutely fantastic! Will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank MichaelH33
Reviewed 19 July 2012

Quiet location with large rooms (we had an enclosed balcony sitting area and helpful staff (we left bags there whilst we travelled "light" to north Madagascar). Take care with the hot water as it is very hot!!! Breakfast we thought was good, with eggs and fresh pastries and bread. There was always free tea, coffee and chocolate in the lounge. My wife thought the free massage was interesting - more like just rubbing oil for 40 mins - but hey it was free. Good restaurants close by (Kudeta) and awake security staff!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights (Beginning of Jan 2012) after a long 14 day travel to the South/East of Madagascar with Espace Mada Tour agency ( This agency was absolutely amazing. Affordable, fantastic vehicle, kind and endearing English speaking driver with incredible driving skills. I'm adding this to my review because we needed some suggestions about a tour operator but TripAdvisor doesn't have this as an option at the moment. SO, here is their website: http://www.madagascar-circuits.com/)..
Anyhow, Le Pavillon was exactly what we needed. We were recuperating from some unfortunate stomache problems and the hotel provided a safe, clean and very comfortable place. Our room even had an extra sitting room. The bathroom was large, clean and well equipped with hot water. The breakfast was very pleasant and plentiful with fruit, breads, cheeses and made-to-order egg dishes. In addition, there is a small sitting room that has coffee/tea/biscuits all day long (We took advantage and sat there for a bit reading books). There was also a free massage included in the price of the room! The staff was helpful and the internet worked easily in our room (wifi). We did not order the taxi with the hotel, but through another driver we had met when we first arrived (it was about 10 euros cheaper.. don't know why). The hotel is in safe walking distance to 3 restaurants which other reviewers have confirmed. Finally, in case of bad weather or the need to stay in our rooms, we had access to DVDs and a DVD player in our room (which we enjoyed immensely due to the condition of our exhausted bodies).
I can't say enough wonderful things about this place. I only can imagine that negative reviews (especially posted about services during late January and February) could perhaps be contributed to the fact that this time period is the "off season" in Mada and perhaps they were understaffed or ill prepared for visitors during this time.

Room Tip: Our room was upstairs and included a small sitting area (literally through a set of glass doors)
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MAMorck
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Look it is very correct, this hotel is in a beautiful building, but when I stayed at this hotel recently there were some annoying details that I thought were worth mentioning. By the way, I won't be staying in this hotel again.

First, if you have been seduced by the photographs of very glamorous almost rococo bedroom decor, think again. Perhaps there is one room decorated this like, the two rooms that myself and my friend stayed in were far from glamorous. My room, number 6, was ok, but really it was weird patchy decoration with no theme, different colored curtains on every window, nothing matched, very "bitty". The linen was good, the bed was well made, the air con worked and the TV worked (although all batteries almost flat in all remotes so 20 pushes for any one action), and my shower recess had black mold around the edges. My friends room, number 9, was in the basement, a horrible cement bunker with 5 or 6 different types and colors and patterns of shiny ceramic floor tiles covering the place, little decoration at all, it was actually really unpleasant.

Then the details in the hotel. Decoration, well, yes, some beautiful pieces of furniture and some lovely picture and mirror frames. Sadly also some awful pieces of furniture, and terrible cheap pictures in many of the frames. Cheap street-market oil paintings in the breakfast room hanging crookedly. Breakfast juice sitting un-refrigerated on a counter top in (some would say "charming") decanters that to me looked like they needed a good wash. The juice on my last day was bad, obviously too long sitting out for too many days. Empty salt and pepper shakers on the tables, sugar pots with spoons cemented with days of sugar. Bread sliced sitting uncovered on a buffet table, totally dried out, and on two out of five days, with flies crawling on it.

The room "hotel information" booklet is totally a waste of time. The "how to connect to the wifi" instructions, which suggest opening a DOS window and entering about 20 strings of commands, were fortunately all wrong (but no one told us that) and the room service menu (that we spent some time deliberating one night) does not actually exist at all any more, and room prices quoted in the book are inaccurate.

The staff were without fail charming, except for the male receptionist and his extortionate control over taxis for which enormous prices (in one case I was quoted three times the usual price) are charged. The hotel was in fact really loathe to get me taxis at all once they realized that I would debate the price.

I could go on and on, I was really disappointed, but, for some people the sense of enclosure and exclusion, and the grand building, may be sufficient for one to overlook the things that I didn't like, I am accustomed to Tana and only stayed at this hotel because my usual first and second choices were full. But as I have said, I will never stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't go for the basement, and if you want the fancy decoration you will need to ask which room...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends