“Even medium restaurants may have nice surprises”
Review of Villa Vanille

Villa Vanille
Ranked #17 of 208 Restaurants in Antananarivo
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Villa Vanille is an average Tana French restaurant . Slow service and a much too noisy music !
The food is good and wine a bit expensive , however they have a demonstration of statutes for sale . These were made by the Malgash artist Solomon Rakotomamana . Unique pieces that generate taste for more of his art !!
Actually it is recommended to visit his studio - call at 032 02 318 74

Reviewed 27 April 2013

A lovely restaurant with excellent food, good service, and nice ambiance in an old colonial home. It is in an upscale shopping area with some nice stores including Roberts choclates. Be certain to go there by cab/car and have your taxi/car stay to take you home - not a safe area to walk.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

I really loved the setting at this place. My favorite thing was that three guitarists were playing while we were there, and they were great! I don't know if they are always there or if it we were just lucky, but I really enjoyed it. As far as the food, I think we put ourselves a little too much in the hands of our server, in part because the menu was all in French. We said we wanted some traditional Madagascar cuisine. My partner got a veg dish that was good but not great. I was directed to any of the house specialties, so I chose chicken. Beware - all of the house specialties are vanilla flavored! So the chicken was okay, but it was in vanilla gravy, which was just a little weird for my pallate. They have a pretty extensive menu, including a lot of veg options, so I would definitely go back, but I would just not take any advice on what to get next time.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

This was my third visit over a period of as many years. It's a really lovely setting with a superb menu. It's quite pricey by Madagascar standards, but excellent value. As always, the food was really delicious, especially the vanilla souffle (although my husband was underwhelmed by it, but raved about the zebu steak!) This restaurant is ranked as one of the best places to eat in Tana, often described as a "special treat", but the service was disappointing for the level this restaurant aims to achieve. Our waiter took ages to take our drinks order, he asked for our food order, but then moved to the next table before we had a chance to give it. We had already decided, so we weren't indecisively fllicking through the menu. When he brought our drinks, he immediately moved to take the next table's drinks order and as he walked past us to get their drinks, I had to call him back to take our food order. When the owner came through to ask each table if they were enjoying their meal, I mentioined the poor service. Full marks to her, she immediately spoke to the waiter and promptly returned to offer us an explanation. Rather than try to make amends, the waiter was surly for the rest of the evening. The food was absolutely superb, but the 2 STAR service spoilt just wasn't up to the same standard as the 5 STAR food.

Reviewed 9 February 2013

Lovely old restored house and excellent quality food combining malagasy/french style with use of the incredible ingredients especially spices that Madagascar has to offer. The band was a nice touch.