“Pleasant surprise in Tana”

Ibis & Spa Antananarivo Ankorondrano
Ranked #8 of 59 Hotels in Antananarivo
Reviewed 12 May 2012

The last time I was in Tana, I stayed at a hotel in town. That was fine - an old hotel with lots of charms and interesting things right outside the door. This time I stayed at the Ibis, fearing that this will be not such a great stay. I know it as a chain of moderately priced hotels in Europe.

I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel is modern, rooms are clean and functional, albeit small, and the location isn't too bad. The room I was in had a comfortable queen bed, a work area with very fast free internet (apparently the fastest in Madagascar according to a friend), clean and functional bathroom. There is also a small flat screen TV with a handful of channels. The breakfast buffet was acceptable. Good coffee, some hot food (not so great), selection of breads and cold meat/cheese, fruit, yogurt, cereal. More than adequate, but if you are expecting a full buffet you will be disappointed. Did not have any other meals, although I was told that it had the best hamburger in town.

For business/work purpose, it is more than adequate. For those looking for more authentic experience, you may want to stay in town.

Room Tip: The side facing the pool is better. You can look at the town. Also, the 3rd floor is a non-smoking f...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Steven Y

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Bad food, tiny rooms.. the breakfast and dinner is the same food everyday.. what it defines as buffet is comical. the hotel should fire the chief chef, if the chief chef is the hotel owner he should sell this business to a better chef. the most terrible food in any hotel around the world. Smartly dressed employees who have become immune to the questions of food quality and variety! Stayed here for 2 days, moved to Hotel Colbert for the next 30 days of my stay in Madagascar.
There is no gym at this hotel, they have swimming pool though close to the restaurant..when on the lift do not press 7, 8 or 9, this is a 6 storey building but the elevator numbers seem to have been created in anticipation of an expansion program

Room Tip: little rooms same thing do not bother choosing
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank jarviske
Ibis-Antananarivo, Directeur général at Ibis & Spa Antananarivo Ankorondrano, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2012

Hello sir,
We would like to thank you to take time to put a comment.
About the food choice you say that is the same food has everyday but we have 15 dish in the menu and a large choice of snacking there is also 3 dish of the day who chande every 2 days.
About the buffet, this only a salad and vegetable buffet without dessert.
The fitness center will be open the 23 of may to adapt the malagasy demand but the hotel ibis haven't fitness center .

kind regards

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I have stayed in several Ibis properties in Africa and must admit that this is one on better ones in the lot especially when you compare them with the West African hotels. It’s a fairly new property and hence very clean. The check was smooth and staff very helpful although they could barely speak English. Did not try the room service but bar had some decent collection.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Ibis-Antananarivo, Directeur général at Ibis & Spa Antananarivo Ankorondrano, responded to this reviewResponded 29 February 2012

Dear Sir,

Thank you to put a comment and we are really enjoy that your stay was one of most goodest stay for you in africa and we hope that you will come again in our hotel.

Yoann Favennec

Reviewed 7 November 2011

I only stayed at the hotel in between flights, so my stay was very short.

Regardless, after a bit of a drive from the airport (the hotel arranged pick up for me, only 15 euros each way) we arrived at the hotel. The hotel itself can not be more that a year old at the time of this review. The hotel looks like it was taken out of England and dropped into the middle of Madagascar. While the hotel does not fit in with the surroundings (the city has much poverty), is was a welcome oasis.

The only complaint I has was that the dinner buffet was more akin to a salad bar-- so I ordered a burger from the hotel restaurant. The burger was on par with what I would expect to find in a European hotel-- not amazing, but pretty decent. There is also a small bar, although I didn't have a chance to grab a pint before I left.

The hotel could use wireless internet (free wired internet in every room via an ethernet cable though), but that's about it. My room was clean, large and pleasant-- as was the bathroom and shower. The bed was comfortable and the room was dark and quiet when I closed the blinds. The building is well kept up and the staff is very friendly.

The hotel was able to arrange for their driver to take me to the airport again at some ungodly early hour-- which was a great help.

So, while my stay was quite short, I'd recommend this hotel again for any travelers needed a good night's sleep.

Room Tip: They do have smoking and non-smoking rooms so make sure and specify which you want. The upper floors...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Schruminator
Ibis-Antananarivo, Directeur général at Ibis & Spa Antananarivo Ankorondrano, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2011

Hello sir,

First we would like to thank you for your comment and i'm glad to see that my customers are happy in our hotel.
Secondly i noticed your advice for me multiple amelioration you are proposing.
Kind regards.

Yoann Favennec
General manager

Reviewed 25 August 2011

This was one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The rooms are very small and the food at the restaurant is terrible. I was served raw pork and when I asked to see the cook to I was told the cook was not in and they had one of the waiters cooking. I was also advised by our waiter that I should have had the “buffet” instead of ordering from the menu. The buffet consisted of a bunch of vegetables and pasta dishes prepared God only knows when. On my last night I had a smell of burnt food in my room on the 6th floor. The smoke originated from a guest cooking in his room. When I complained the receptionist said “It’s Ok, the fire alarm is off and there will be no alarm problem.” When I requested to see the manager they said he will be in later during the day. I will never stay at this place again. What a dump.

Room Tip: Go to La Cumbava
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank Meylock
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Several months before I stayed there I requested a quiet room, no spraying in the room, and American style bed. Also, I asked the Asst. Front Desk Mgr. to tell me in writing what it cost for the hotel room including taxes,breakfasts, and roundtrip transfers in order for me to pay upfront at check-in, and determine how many Euros that I would have left for other meals,tours, and souvenirs. Well, my room smelled like it was sprayed, it didn't have a American-style bed, and I had to train the housekeeping supervisor on how to make one. During my stay in my so called quiet room I heard barking dogs every night, the internet didn't work most of the time in my room nor the lobby, and no one was interested in resolving my concerns.
I received a 15 minute satsfaction guarantee brochure in my room which stated that if your problem is not resolvedin 15 mins. , I will be their guest, and receive a refund.
When I checked out I was asked for additional money as the Asst. Front desk Mgr. didn't itemize it when I paid at check-in so at check out the clerk didn't think that I paid for the transfer.
I filled out a customer satisfaction survey, and contacted Accor Customer Relations but, all they did was apologize refund is not forthcoming. I will never stay another of their properties as they don't honor their customer guarantee.
The hotel is only 2 years old why wasn't it made soundproof?

Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
4  Thank Globetrotter10079
Reviewed 29 January 2010

I stayed 3 nights ,in July '09.It;s an hotel with no soul ,very clean , rooms small, at £ 92 with breakfast pricey ,safe( with guards ,and fenced) ,but not near amenities.They failed to knock me up for the first two mornings No ,ordinary mid range hotel at better hotel prices .You can do better .

Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple